VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fdc And Va Educational Benefits

Rate this question

afloridaboy

Question

Would me enrolling and going to school affect my pending FDC claim. This is a first time claim for me 9 months after my separation. I'm in the gathering evidence stage now. For example, would they say something like if he is prepared enough to go to school that he isn't really bothered by his mental issues etc. Denied! Is that reasonable for them to do that or am I just worrying to much? Thanks.

3 answers to this question

afloridaboy,

You could probably be service connected for mental issues but your rating percentage would be lower if you are able to attend school.

Refer to "38 CFR part 4.130". Schedule of Rating for Mental Disorders.

Good Luck.

GP

You need to be at least 10% SC and meet other eligibility requirements before thinking about pursuing VA Voc Rehab:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/eligibility_and_entitlement.asp

However you might be eligible for a Pell Grant or some other sort of financial aid if you remain ineligible for Voc Rehab.

You made a good point. VA tried to reduce my husband's SC from 30 at the time to 10%

One reason they used is one sole semester of college he had under Voc Rehab.

I prepared the NOD telling them (I also knocked down their other ridiculous reason for the proposed reduction) that one semester of college under Voc Rehab cannot turn anyone into a rocket scientist.

A few month as later his POA called, he was at work, and the POA rep told me the VA dropped this idea and a letter confirming that would be in the mail.

He would have been better off trying to get a Pell grant. Here in NY they have many financial aid programs for disabled veterans.

Programs the VA cannot control.

Thanks for the responses. I'm not rated yet but I just wondered if going to school would affect my pending mental claims...PTSD, Anxiety, Insomnia, Chronic Adjustment Disorder etc. Thanks.