• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
TiredCoastie

Osa And Asthma - Revisiting The Question

Question

I'm rated at 50% for OSA with CPAP but was declined "reactive airway disease" or asthma in my initial claim. I'm thinking about submitting a claim for asthma now that I'm on ADVAIR daily. Does anyone have any experience in winning this?

However, been reading on HadIt which highlighted 38 CFR 4.96(a)

§4.96 Special provisions regarding evaluation of respiratory conditions.

(a) Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other. Where there is lung or pleural involvement, ratings under diagnostic codes 6819 and 6820 will not be combined with each other or with diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 or 6822 through 6847. A single rating will be assigned under the diagnostic code which reflects the predominant disability with elevation to the next higher evaluation where the severity of the overall disability warrants such elevation. However, in cases protected by the provisions of Pub. L. 90-493, the graduated ratings of 50 and 30 percent for inactive tuberculosis will not be elevated.

One post from 2010 pointed to BVA citation number 0610557 which indicated one interpretation of the above regulation as being that not permitting DC 6600-6817 from being combined and 6822-6847 from being combined but that a disability from each group could be rated separately. But I just found BVA citation 1448605 in which a veteran used this exact argument to attempt to separate his OSA and asthma, and the BVA found the opposite - that 6600-6817 and 6822-6847 could not be combined. So they've ruled both ways. I'm not the best at looking at CAVC cases, but I didn't see anything that addressed the interpretation in their rulings, although I easily could have missed something.

Asthma is 6602 and OSA is 6847.

Based on the more recent BVA decision from last year, it seems like it's not worth it from a rating increase standpoint. If I'm successful, the RO will combine the ratings and keep me at 50% for both as a single rating. My OSA is more severe than my asthma. If my asthma was worse, maybe I could argue for a combined rating of 60%?

Is my understanding on this right?

Edited by TiredCoastie

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ROMAD
      I submitted a claim for Sinusitis, OSA,, and Tinnitus. My claim was denied for all 3. 
      The tinnitus they claim was neither occurred in nor was caused by service. My job on active duty exposed me to gun fire, explosions, tanks, and tracked vehicles. I submitted the Duty Noise Exposure Spreadsheet that displayed my AFSC was rated as highly likely to be exposed to loud noise. In the first Exam they claimed I said my hearing loss was from jets flying overhead. Never said that, so they scheduled a second exam. This one they acknowledged the correct job but I was still denied. The evidence listed on the second decision dd not include the MOS Noise exposure chart I included on the first claim. I never went to sick call for ringing ears because that is just silly (had I known then) and was not something you did. I have had quiet office jobs since separating from The Air Force. What am I missing?
      For the OSA claim, I submitted Lay statements from my current wife and my ex-wife as well as explained to the doctor my symptoms and  that when I was on Active Duty i had no idea sleep apnea was a thing. I assumed I just snored and was tired because I was working hard. I had a sleep study this past year and was deemed to have severe OSA.  In my claim I listed that I believed my osa was related to my cluster headache disability. They responded Cluster headaches do not cause OSA even if there are many people with cluster headaches and also OSA.  I experienced a stuffy nose during my headaches  on the left side. This was completely different from the closing of my airway when I would sleep. It was just worst if both occurred at the same time. They claimed I have other risk factors such as being male, obesity, and advancing age. Something I did not include in my claim was the fact that I was on the Fat Boy program at one point on Active Duty and my SMR made a reference to obesity. Would this help support my claim. Also in the second decision they said I was a 73 year old male and I am no where near 73 so they probably mixed my records with someone else. What can I do about this?
      And Sinusitis, I have a couple diagnosis in my SMR's specifically listing sinusitis. I have had sinus issues since I was on Active Duty. I use a Netti Pot and have been diagnosed post active duty with sinusitis. The DBQ from the QTC Medical  Doc claims I have rebound sinusitis because I mentioned using Afrin. I have always been aware of the danger of over use and in my VA records I discussed this concern whenever the VA would prescribe a nasal spray. What am I missing and how can I get this  corrected. The errors on the 2 decisions make it seem as if they are not very organized and I have to suffer from their disorganization. Are they supposed to review all of the evidence from the initial claim when you submit a supplemental, or should I have resubmitted all  the documents from the initial claim. Are the documents that contain research that supports your claim supposed to be on the evidence list as well? They were not on there and if they did not give those documents equal consideration what is my recourse. Any assistance would be appreciated Thanks for listening.

• By weep4souls
      I'm a Gulf War veteran with 90% S/C for various conditions. Some conditions that have been denied have been frustrating since I'm still suffering with symptoms. How can I create a Nexus for sinusitis and sleep apnea? I'm 30% for asthma and tried to create a relation between sleep apnea and asthma, but that was a no go. I was thinking trying again and tying my PTSD to that. Any thoughts? 
      I was also shot down on sinusitis from the get go, but I thought all I had to do was tie my gulf war time to that condition. I guess I was wrong.
    • By vgorman0306
      Hey guys, 

I don't know if I'm in the right place but i was needing some clarification. After fighting with the military for six years, the C&P examiner stated that my condition precludes me from any physical occupation. 
      I developed asthma back in 2012, while in service. Is that typical wording for pretty much everyone? I guess my English isn't that great and i would like someone to please explain to me what that entails? The examiner 
      also stated that there is a 50% chance or greater that my injury was incurred in the line of duty, does that mean that they service connected me? 

thank you for responding. 
    • By GeekySquid
      Curious what to do with this piece of information.
      I was going through my c&p's and the one I had in Aug 2018 that bumped me to 100% has this line in it.
      "He reports breathing difficulties, diagnosed - Obstructive Sleep Apnea. "
      I was using my CPAP when my original C&P in 2013 was done. My record has all sorts of references to it, including the VA issuing me on and way. I have the Sleep Study results in my hands.
      So what paths are open to me? in the 2013 standards being issued a CPAP w/ an SC (PTSD) related condition should have given me a 50% rating. Today's standards say I need the medical opinion to state' "he will die without it" or other such magic word nonsense.
      what is my most likely path to getting it rated and possibly retro pay?

• By GeekySquid
      Hey all I have been out of here for a while dealing with issues and am now in a wheelchair from leg surgery which just happens to coincide with my latest C&P results finally showing up. Before this latest I was at 100% plus  few miscellaneous 10 and 0 %'s.
      The situation is complicated and I need to figure out my options in light of the changes between the legacy system, ramp and AMP (?).
      The first hurdle, is my original award in 2013 did not show evidence they evaluated my OSA even though it was documented, diagnosed in May 2013 and should have been in my medical records by the time they did the award. VAMC New Orleans claims to have "lost" those records but Tulane Hospital has provided them to me and I have notes in my record that I had one, that the records were annotated in my file (supposedly in my file) and that a CPAP was issued.
      I was never notified this was a compensable condition or that a C&P should be requested. I did not find this out until Aug 2018.
      There is also my tests done for Vertigo, including being waterboarded through the ear and having MRI's performed to find out if I had tumors causing the vertigo. VAMC New Orleans says they don't have these records but the same issue arises as with the OSA. I have the MRI, and my record has notes that the VNG was done. The award letter is silent on this issue.
      I have sent the VAMC FOIA requests on both issues multiple times and they don't even bother to answer me. When I call they just say there are no records and hang up on me.
      How can I reopen that original claim, and would it keep the original dates?
      To add complexity the original award denied me for hearing loss. The C&P examiner failed to look at my entire service record, instead she only looked at my first enlistment. I informed her of the Vertigo also but she made no mention of it in the report. On this particular issue, and the vertigo, the VA just rated me for 30% on vertigo and 0 for hearing loss. The dates for both were August 2108. At a minimum I want the hearing loss to be corrected back to the original date. It would also set up the argument for failing in their Duty  to Assist and Notify on the Vertigo.
      I have my c-file and the notes and exams from external providers (sleep study and MRI).
      I believe this all constitutes New and Relevant (I guess that is the new term) Information.
      I just need to know how I process this under the new system? Is it a supplemental claim? will I get an EED?

Other Factors:
      I will be filing a NOD on the recent 30% rating for Vertigo, the award letter has not yet arrived, it is over due, but the C&P doc was incompetent and my medical file shows that I am more in line with a rating of 60 or 100% for Meniures. I have VA treatment records recording my "drunk gait", nystagmus, and passing out from the vertigo. In 2013 time frame I would experience this 3 to 4 times a month in the worst months. Now it is 4 to 6 times a week, every time I roll over quickly or have any type of rapid head movement.
      So on the NOD, since it was for the August, 2018 claim,  am I supposed to just file a typical NOD?
      can I ask for backdate (EED) based on the previous VNG and MRI from 2013 where they lost the records and failed to Notify or Assist me in filing a claim? My Vertigo has gone untreated and unassisted by the VA until 2018. It has grown significantly worse. This seems to constitute harm to me from their negligence.
      I want to note again in the decision about the August 2018 claim they did grant me SC for the hearing loss. Their error is clear and unmistakable. It is also tied to the Vertigo so the EED hearing would also seem to affect that; The VA does not send us for MRI's and VNG's (waterboarding) just for hearing loss, so they knew and started the process, they just dropped the ball in getting that info to the raters.
      Thanks for any help on the new processes.

• Ads

• Our picks

• Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
    • Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
      • 7 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines