VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Info On Testosterone Injections?

Rate this topic

The labs showed low testosterone and apparently I will soon be starting a regimen of an injection every 2 weeks.

Any info will be appreciated. I have read a few things online but really don't know what to expect.

My personal suggestion after many, many hours of research is to look at once weekly shots. There are several reasons for a more frequent protocol. E2 (estradiol), or estrogen, follows testosterone meaning that a large dosage shot will incur a large amount of estrogen in the body due to aromatase, which is testosterone covering to estrogen. You will also slowly whittle your way down to very low T levels and be riding a roller coaster of ups & downs. But, a once a week shot levels this out much more and there is far less swings. Many people are doing twice weekly shots to further smooth this out.

Patches, gels, creams, etc. are expensive and don't work nearly as well as shots for most people, fact. Also, gels and such have a higher probability of cross contaminating other people with your prescription. Slather some on, cuddle with the wife, play with the kids, whatever... you'll be running the chance of administering it to others accidentally and that's no good.

Pills are extremely liver toxic and are rarely used. Blood clotting can be mitigated by donating blood if hematocrit hemoglobin levels reach higher than normal on routine blood tests. I'd like to see hard science that testosterone, administered properly and at normal dosages, leads to heart attacks.

I'd also suggest asking if they will administer or prescribe HCG to maintain testicular size and function. Along with that you may need an aromatase inhibitor (Arimidex) to reduce the possible effects of estrogen like gynecomastia if it gets out of hand.

I could go on and on... Let me know what other info you need and I'll be happy to try to help.

The other possibility is going on a short term run of Clomid (25mg for 90 days) to see if you can kickstart you're own testosterone production. Not sure if the VA would want to swing that since it's off label but many men have found success through that or by a low dosage every other day protocol of Clomid which keeps things running at a higher level.

• HadIt.com Elder

nlualum82

I would sure do a lot of research on this, as for as taking the injection, check with the Mayo Clinic web site, and hopefully there's other alternatives.

I been have a swollen prostate for over a year and take meds for it but I notice I don't produce much seaman when ejaculating (not sure the connection?) ...it feels like a lot but only a drop...

I have not mention this to my Dr Yet...other than the swollen prostate and slow urine or ''dribble'' I am ok as for as my sex drive.

Sorry TMI or so graphic in Detail.

.................Buck

Buck52

If you are taking Flomax that will cause the reduction in seman.

Nlaulam82

Your PCP should be referring you to an Endocrinolgist because they are the ones who should be treating you for low T. Also, if you are taking other meds they may be a contributing factor to your symptoms. That is what an endo doc can determine.

I just saw an indocrinologist about low T and he told me I had 2 things against taking it. A-fib and prostate cancer. He said the A-fib is probably worse than the prostate cancer as the T treatments cause your blood to clot and it could cause a stroke. I have the same problems as nlaulam82 no energy, depression, no sex drive, can fall asleep almost instantly, loss of body hair. They did take off 2 meds I've been taking for the PC finisatride and megastrol so we'll see how that works.

Are you aware of the numerous problems associated with finasteride? Many of the side effects are ones you're exhibiting such as depression, no sex drive, low testosterone.

Do a quick search on "finasteride lawsuit" and you'll see countless many lawsuits against Merck, etc. You may be in line for a settlement if it's determined that finasteride is the case of your problems.

• HadIt.com Elder

boomer2

I don't take Flowmax, the VA pcp Prescribe Finasteride 5 MG Tab & Tamsulosin HCL 0. 4 mg Cap,

I take Sertraline 100MG for mood and depression, however it seems sinse I been taking thise meds is when I notice the drop in seaman.??

other medication I take are for pernicious anemia & injections for B-12 but Been doing that over 25 years now!

..................Buck

Edited by Buck52