VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Benzo Tapering, How Hard Is It?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been on Clonazepam for years. It has been hard for me to get off it. The thing is that if you stop suddenly you can have convulsions. It is not like kicking an opiate. It is more dangerous to go cold turkey. That expression "cold turkey" is because you get chills and cramps when kicking opiates suddenly not to mention insomnia and vomiting. It is a lot of fun. What I really hate is the not being able to sleep for days on end. All the benzos are addictive. Bet they did not tell you when you started taking them. Like Pete says you can sometimes substitute one for another and it makes it easier. I have used trazadone to help me sleep while cutting back on the benzos. I used Ambien as well but that is addictive and causes rebound insomnia when you stop taking it after a few weeks. Almost all sleep medications stop working after a few weeks because of tolerance. I remember stopping valium suddenly some years ago and I had horrible anxiety for a week. I really did not put two and two together for a while. I see that the media is up in arms about new higher power hydrocodone that is being abused by drug addicts. We who have chronic pain will suffer for this. In the VA the code for use of opiates is the same as for drug abuse. I get letters wanting access to my private medical files for payment for treatment of drug abuse. I have never been treated for drug abuse, but what the heck I am a vet who takes opiates so I must be an addict and possible drug dealer. I wear cast iron jock strap when I get around the VA since I get kicked in the yarbels so often.

John

• 4 weeks later...

I quit opioids on my own in less than a week after more than 10 years of daily use..no drama. Benzo's on the other hand are a different story. First and foremost tapering down too fast can kill you, do it under the strict direction of a doctor.

Thanks everyone here is an update. Switched from the 30mg temazepam to 10mg diazepam in one day. No problems except quite a few sleepless nights. But as the diazepam built up in my system I started feeling really, really tired all the time. I took the 10mg diazepam for two weeks and then cut it back to 7.5mg a few days ago. Still no noticeable symptoms because I am sooooo tired all the time. I now take a one hour nap after work, and still crash out all night at bedtime. Although I never sleep completely through the night but I have been like that for years before the benzos.

I wish I could taper faster because this extreme tiredness gets old. But I am in it for the long haul and looking forward to the day I am free of it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Unfortunately for many Veterans there is often no tapering as the VA arbitrarily and capriciously will take you off a prescription with no notice except the meds don't arrive. It has happened to me several times.

• 2 months later...

Thought I would give another update. I successfully tapered and am benzo free. Went for a few weeks with no meds and my fibro was really painful. VAMH doc put me on 20mg Cymbalta. I start taking it today, I hope it doesn't make me tired or spacey. Hope everyone is doing well, thanks for your support.