VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medication Pickup

Rate this topic

I had my C & P on April 6 and they wanted to commit me to the hospital until I got on meds and they got them worked out. Short story is I have no social contact other then when I go to the doctors because I feel I am dangerous. Any confrontation and I fear I would loose what is left of my sanity and harm others. This scares me but have been avoiding taking medication but the last week has been much more stressful so am now willing to begin taking meds.

My issue is I do not want the VA to send me the meds in the mail or get the meds at a VA/gov location. I do not trust them and likely wont take them if that is the only source.

Question: Can I get prescribed meds and pick them up at a pharmacy of my choice? Example: I get prescribed medication and pick them up at Wal-greens one month and Walmart the next month. Every month or two I switch location and even sometimes go out of town to pick them up. I know this sounds strange even to me but I do not think I would be able to fight the feelings otherwise.

I would be good with having my blood test to verify I am taking them. Just don't trust the VA medication.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The general answer is NO, you cannot pick up medications from a local pharmacy, and have the VA pay.

If the medications involve narcotics, or "mood altering", that's even worse.

A VA doctor might be able to help, but the chances of success are not great.

The VA really pushes meds by mail, or pickup in person at the VA pharmacy.

In severe/extreme cases, and under certain guidelines, the VA can provide at home

medical services if a VA doctor approves, and goes through the "hoops" to authorize.

I was always told that the VA PCP can write a prescription that can be filled at a local pharmacy at the veteran's expense,

when the prescription is needed as soon as possible. In theory, the VA can, if it so chooses, reimburse.

(I've never heard of that actually happening.)

The VA even has a form they say can be used, labeled something like a claim for un preapproved medical expenses.

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA uses generic meds.

unless you don't trust the Dr's that prescribe them?....in that case I don't blame you.

But I don't much think you can get them any where else other than VA...for free or small co-pay

other than you seeing a private Dr but VAwon't pay for that unless you can't get in for appointment in a timely manner then you can ask your PCP for A free base private Doc

jmo

.......................Buck

Edited by Buck52

mademike1,

Unless the VA pharmacy would permit you to designate another person to pick up your prescriptions, I think all of your options have been covered in the previous posts. JMO

Please follow your mental health counselor's advice and also take your meds. This will help you and others around you.

Good luck and take care of yourself.

GP

Some generics are pretty cheap so if needed I do not mind paying for them myself if I have the option of picking them up at a different location without VA paying for them. I just will just need to find out how much they cost then.

Thanks for the response. I will ask what my options are when I go see the doctor next week.