VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Keratoconus - Should I Bother Applying?

Rate this question

joefrozac

Question

Hey all.

I was diagnosed with keratoconus of one eye while in service and it is documented as service-connected. This eye is 20/100 uncorrected and 20/25 corrected. My other eye is 20/20 uncorrected.

The info that I've found online has been contradictory. Some says that it is not ratable. Others say that as long as I am diagnosed, my eyes automatically are both 20/40 and, therefore, result in a 0% rating.

Is this even worth applying for?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Every verifiable disability is worth claiming.

The issue could become more disabling in the future.

• HadIt.com Elder

you should file for the ''Keratocnus''

its only rated at 10% but if you have a lot of other contentions/conditions that will add up your rating.

here is the code rating for'' Keratocounus''

Conditions of the Cornea

Code 6035: Keratoconus is a condition where the cornea gradually changes its shape, causing significant vision problems. This condition is rated on the Visual Acuity Rating System. Since the VASRD clearly states that this condition is to be rated on visual acuity, it cannot also be rated for visual field or muscle dysfunction unless they are caused by an entirely different condition.

VA only rates using the VASRD (Veterans Affairs Schedule Rating Disabilities) So this means your eye disability will be rating using the (VARS system) to be rated using the Visual Acuity Rating System.

...............................Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/originalvasrd1.html#c6035

There are higher ratings for a higher number code.

Eye disabilities are very complex to rate. here is a link that may help you understand your code 6035, I could be wrong about the 10% that was for cornea transplant.

so your eye disability could possibly be rating more than 10% depending on the severity.

Conditions of the Cornea

Code 6035: Keratoconus is a condition where the cornea gradually changes its shape, causing significant vision problems. This condition is rated on the Visual Acuity Rating System. Since the VASRD clearly states that this condition is to be rated on visual acuity, it cannot also be rated for visual field or muscle dysfunction unless they are caused by an entirely different condition.

Code 6036: A corneal transplant is rated on the Visual Impairment Rating System. If there is also pain and sensitivity to light, the minimum rating for this condition is 10%

.................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I did not have keratoconus when I entered the U.S. Air Force in June 1964, but was diagnosed with keratoconus after I was honorably discharged in February 1969.  I understand that keratoconus typically takes place over time and usually in teen agers and adults in their 20s.  I was diagnosed with keratoconus by a military  doctor at McChord AFB, Tacoma, Washington.  Since this disease is slow in progression, could it be conceivably caused by a head injury when I had an accident involving a fork truck that went off of a 6-feet high loading dock backwards?  I did sustain broken fingers, but could the fact that I hit my head during the fall cause, or potentially cause keratoconus?  Over the years I have had 4 corneal transplants (two in each eye) and three relaxation surgeries in which small incisions were made in the cornea to alter its shape.  

My eye sight was diagnosed by a military doctor at McChord AFB, Tacoma, Washington.  He measured my eye sight prior to any surgeries as 20/ 1250  right eye and 20/850 in my left eye.  Vision now after 4 corneal transplants is not sufficient to qualify for a driver's license in Oregon.  Pain? Yes, I've had it from mere glare from an oncoming automobile, sunlights, and indoor lighting.  I know you're only trying to help by answering my questions.