VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Acupunture Is Now A Part Of Treatment

Rate this topic

Hey - just want to add to the conversation. I have had psoriatic arthritis for the past 20 years. I've used biologics, steroids, NSAIDs and much stronger medications. I've had better luck with some than others, however I will add that you need to move it or lose it to the best of your ability. The less I move, the more I ache. Which feeds the cycle of not wanting to move, depression, etc. I don't suggest pushing past the point of reasonable discomfort, but I do advocate to just keep moving. Push through what you can and get support for what you need. Just taking a walk can change your day. If you're in a chair, wheel around, etc. Do what you can, but keep moving. Best to all!

Excellent advice.

I've used it here at the OKC VA. I wasn't really skeptical as the practice has been around for hundreds perhaps thousands of years. However, people react differently to it. It has to do with endorphins, pressure points, and almost like trigger points in a sense. It does help some people and helped me for a while. Getting it as often as you need to will be difficult. From my experience they will do 4 visits in a month and then taper you off. I got to do that for about two months and then started doing trigger point injections. Frankly, I feel better relief from the acupuncture. I still have private insurance and I go to the chiropractor every three weeks and have medial branch blocks about once a month. Nothing really takes the pain away but it is a way to manage it somewhat. I can go through demerol and hydrocodone like nobodies business but I hate the way it make you loopy and frankly drugged up. Also they tear up your liver and kidneys. JMHO a modulation of different approaches yields the best results. At least for me it has. Heat, cold, tens, chiropractor, acupuncture, facet blocks, trigger point injections, meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy, breathing techniques, an alteration of pain meds and muscle relaxers. Walking and trying to keep moving is also necessary. As much as I can dog the VA and some of their shenanigans the MOVE program actually has some good applications. Also the pain creams that they can do through the VA formulary gives some relief as well. The capsicum pain cream does work. I alternate between the two and it offers good results.

I will say with the acupuncture there are some points in the cartilage of the ear that are a little uncomfortable but only briefly. The benefit is worth the brief discomfort. Definitely worth a try. JMO

mindful movement is a great program example very simple thing to do

you toss and turn all night, cant sleep but 2-3 hours at a time

try this and remember YOUR BED IS USE FOR TWO THINGS''

SLEEP &SEX... meaning no eating, no computer time. no watching tv

or what ever else you do TRY this go find something to keep you woke until

your bed time at night cut hedges, clean garage ,walk a block , go shopping,

go look at the girls something to keep you woke until your bed time say 9-pm

get out of bed and do something until your bedtime you will sleep all night with no

wakeups until morning do something it helps clean around the house helps bed is

for sleep & sex. Empowered Veterans Program it helps if given a chance.jmho

I use a civilian acupuncturist that trained in Beijing.

He got rid of my allergy symptoms, now on to the hip and back.

Seattle how crazy is it that my Accupunture Doc is from Beijing and his wife is too. Very nice guy but that crap treatment did nothing for me, but I also have a hole in my spine and a lot of nerve damage.

• HadIt.com Elder

Navy04

I am not sure but each time you go for Acupuncture treatment the needles have more medicine in the tips, and going at least twice a week...from what I understand?

first treatment didn't seem to help me I was disappointed because it took 65 days to be seen at the Acupuncture clinic, the Dr was oriental said he had been booked up for months.