VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Camp Lejeune

Rate this question

Fat

Question

What benefits are available for a widower of a Camp Lejeune Marine.

a. Health Care?

b. Compensation?

What form do you file these claims on?

All help is appreciated.

True that some have been SCed due to the contaminated water at Camp Le Juene

"Did you serve on active duty at the U.S. Marine Corps Base at Camp Jejuene, North Carolina, from January 1, 1957 through December 31, 1987? You may have been exposed to drinking water contaminated with industrial solvents, benzene, and other chemicals.

The Honoring America’s Veterans and Caring for Camp Lejeune Families Act of 2012 provided VA authority to treat Veterans who served at Camp Lejeune for not less than 30 days during the covered period. These Veterans are eligible for enrollment in Priority Group 6 or higher and cost-free care VA health care for any of the following illnesses or conditions:

• Bladder cancer
• Miscarriage
• Breast cancer
• Multiple myeloma
• Esophageal cancer
• Myelodysplastic syndromes
• Female infertility
• Neurobehavioral effects
• Hepatic steatosis
• Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
• Kidney cancer
• Renal toxicity
• Leukemia
• Scleroderma
• Lung Cancer"

http://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/8799/camp-lejeune-veterans-health-care-for-15-conditions/

Leukemia is on the list for the Priority 6 (or higher) criteria but they will need a strong IMO, in my opinion, to succeed in the claim.

Did she find any Marines who succeeded without an IMO?

Can she join us here?

The Marine in this article won on appeal and I believe all of the breast cancers vets won compensation because they were pretty vocal in the media about it, years ago,

but still those listed diseases are not presumptive:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/06/20/96093/va-quietly-giving-benefits-to.html

As of now Sept. 2021 leukemia is presumed. There are 8 presumptive conditions. I am former Lejeune Marine. Was recently diagnosed with Leukemia. As of today,current law, all I need is proof I was at Lejeune in the included dates and honorable discharge. Leukemia is presumptive. I am being helped by attorney ,law firm, that specializes in Lejeune matters and also already got me 100% P&T.

Edited by Francisco
Wrong year. Should be 2021

• HadIt.com Elder

Francisco Welcome to Hadit and sorry about your health conditions brother. If you have a good lawyer they should be looking at SMC's for you as your conditions may result in several additional disabilities as secondaries that you may eventually be rated for. Let us know of your progress; maybe it can help other Marines who were stationed there and now have gotten sick. 

This is part of the VA Web site's criteria for Camp Lejuene veterans:

"Camp Lejeune water contamination health issues
If you served at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River in North Carolina, you may have had contact with contaminants in the drinking water there. Scientific and medical evidence has shown an association between exposure to these contaminants during military service and development of certain diseases later on. If you have qualifying service at Camp Lejeune and a current diagnosis of one of the conditions listed below, you may be able to get disability benefits.

Am I eligible for disability benefits from VA?
You may be eligible for disability benefits if you meet all of the requirements listed below.

Both of these must be true. You:

Served at Camp Lejeune or MCAS New River for at least 30 cumulative days from August 1953 through December 1987, and
Didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge when you separated from the military
And you must have a diagnosis of one or more of these presumptive conditions:

Adult leukemia
Aplastic anemia and other myelodysplastic syndromes
Bladder cancer
Kidney cancer
Liver cancer
Multiple myeloma
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Parkinson’s disease
Who’s covered?
Veterans
Reservists
Guardsmen
What kind of benefits can I get?
Health care
Compensation (payments)
How do I get these benefits?"

More info at 

https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/camp-lejeune-water-contamination/

Thi is an old thread but this info might help someone else out there.

Ah they have water samples from each building! I would state if the conducted the survey correctly! I would request water samples results from the freedom information act!  They have reports from each year when the law came into effect!