VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lung Cancer

Rate this question

dongtam

Question

No. sorry

Were you exposed to asbestos in service?

Did the VA diagnose you or did a private doctor?

I am a VSO the veteran was told by a private doctor of his condition. He was a Navy navigator and flew off the aircraft carriers in the gulf. He had 30 missions over

North Vietnam. I guess I will have to go on a direct basis of being exposed on board ship. Dr. gave his 6 months to live.

That is terrible.... 6 months......does he have dependents?

Since you are a VSO I know you have checked the VA's Agent Orange ship's lists to see if his ship is considered as exposed to AO.

The main cause of mesothelioma is asbestos exposure.

Since it seems this veteran had a long career in the service (missions over N Vietnam as well as Gulf War service),
what MOS did he have during all those years that could have exposed him to the asbestos?

I assume his private doctor is an oncologist who might be willing to even prepare an IMO for him, if the doctor is aware of any inservice duty or MOS that could have caused the mesothelioma.

Have you gone through this vets 201 file and his SMRs?

Does he have any other disabilities and if so, can you tell us what they are?

Did he have any post service occupations that could have been the cause of exposure? This is one way VA can deny asbestos claims.

Has he contacted any of the asbestos lawyers handling mesothelioma lawsuits?

• HadIt.com Elder

Many of the aircraft carriers used during the Vietnam era were built with large quantities of asbestos insulation. Most had mandatory asbestos removal before they could be scrapped.

Aircraft of that era also had a fair amount of asbestos. The fire suits and gloves used to handle hot shells contained asbestos. Fire curtains also contained asbestos.

One of the major problems has to do with shipboard vibration and shock from normal operations. Turns out that such things can breakdown long fiber asbestos and cause the remanents

to get into the air handling systems, and occupied spaces.