VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Who Do I Get To Help Me With My Bva?

Rate this question

RoverV8Man

Question

Hello,

Well I received my SOC and again, they stated that my ankle and back was not affected by my knee injury. I waited 11 months and got my SOC on April 18th, 2015. Now , I am faced with going to the next step. I have read some of the topics here and it seems that I have made the same mistake as others to use my 'local" VSO (Lee County, NC VSO). I am faced with trying to find someone who will truly represent me and help me with this process. I do not know to whether I should use the DVA, VFW or American Legion to help me with my BVA, any suggestions?

I must admit that I was highly disappointed when I received my SOC and feel again, that because I am a Cold War Veteran, my case has no merit. My injury was in service but was not through combat. I am not asking anything more than a fairness in my evaluation of what is going on with my ankle and back. They did not even pick up my claim on my left knee as it is in greater pain, amazing. Sop any help would be greatly appreciated.

John

2 answers to this question

"they stated that my ankle and back was not affected by my knee injury."

Is the 10% you have now for the knee injury?

Was that rating part of the appeal?

It is certainly possible that a SC knee injury can cause secondary conditions.

But apparently a C & P doctor didn't think so and you need to obtain an IMO/IME.

Can you scan and attach the decision here? (Cover C file #,name. address prior to scanning)

We learn this process rapidly when we get the dirty end of the punji stick. Too bad you had to find out the truth about VSOs the hard way. Hadit is a wonderful asset but it is a DIY project. We supply the blueprint and you buy the lumber. You learned how to depend on yourself in the service and it's time to relearn that. Fortunately, you are not at the BVA yet. You have time to turn this around in your favor.

Start reading up on Independent Medical Opinions (IMOs) as Berta suggested above. I would consider an attorney if you are in over your head. Now that they are allowed to help following the first denial, they are a valuable asset in a Vet's tool bag. More and more we are seeing attorneys achieve resolution of claims at the Regional Office level before having to go to DC on appeal. This is as it should be. Appeals should be for really questionable items or extreme case or controversy issues-not a repair order for your RO's ineptness and stupidity.

Whatever you choose, do not allow that 60 day window to file the VA 9 slip by or it will all be for naught. Good luck sir. And for the record, no one cares if you don't have a fistful of colored ribbons. I noticed they don't give me free coffee at Starbucks even with all them fancy Vs for Valor on my baseball hat. You served. That's more than what 94% of the rest of America did. VA is indifferent to your plight because they are VA-not because you are a cold war Vet. If you're the VA hammer, every Vet looks like a nail.

Edited by asknod