VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Closed -2 Days From Prep For Notification

Rate this question

fatheryabueloDE9

Question

Hi Fellow and lady Vets,

My claim closed today which was good to read on Ebenefits.

Last month, I began to read this Vet forum.

Note, before continuing: I use large font because it's easier for me to type and read. Difficult for me using a standard KB. Thus, I've used an ergonomic KB for 15 years.

I wasn't sure which topic to post this item. Below covers PTSD, Claim and eBenefit processing times,C and P exam, and related issues or symptoms.

Summary: A Vietnam vet who waited 45 years to seek VA MH help. I filed for PTSD, combat and MST in May 2014. My claim was a FDC.

Three weeks before my Mar. 2015, C & P exam by a FL VA PhD, the VA informed me that my FDC was changed to a regular claim.

I'm unsure why. I complied to a Dec. 2014 VA letter by re-submitting data I first filed provided with my FDC, and the VA acknowledged receiving in May 2014.

The VA acknowledged in June, and again this AM that my original FDC claim's effective was May 29, 2014.

About eBenefits, I joined in early April 2015. Below is my EB activity since April 5:

On April 5, my Claim status was "Pending Decision Approval." Monday April 20, it went to "Prep for Notification." This AM, it was closed and I saw the results.

I appreciate my 1st ever VA claim being decided in less than a year. However, the overall rating of 30 % was not expected- a disappointment.

My rating is 30% for PTSD, MST and Combat. My MH history, and "My Healthevet" notes and problems over the last year plus shows me having MDD, Anxiety, alcohol Abuse, and other symptoms.

I understand DSM-V was to be in use about October 2014. My MH notes had my DSM-IV GAF at 45 several times until Sept. 2014. My primary MH person was on leave from Nov. 2014 until April 20, 2015. The 2nd MH person reiterated in her notes that I have PTSD, Depression, Alcohol Abuse and a few other issues.

Repeating my belief: I am happy my claim closed. But, I am very disappointed at the rating. I realistically expected a higher overall Disability rating based on my overall MH record since 1st seeking treatment in early 2014.

On one of my first forum posts, I stated not being happy with the C and P rating by the VA psychologist. The exam was about 50 minutes; none of my issues were brought up to discuss by the PHD.

Likely I will be filing a NOD having spoken briefly with my local (FL) VSO today.

Now, I have to await for the mailed BBE or BWE to read the Raters rational.

Well, my NOD and appeal is another topic.

Take care.

XNam vet.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Congratulations on your award. With a 30% rating, you are now entitled to travel pay for all VA appointments. You can also request retroactive travel pay back to the effective date of your claim. You should have already received travel pay for all of your C & P exams.

Good luck to you.

GP

Congratulations on your award. With a 30% rating, you are now entitled to travel pay for all VA appointments. You can also request retroactive travel pay back to the effective date of your claim. You should have already received travel pay for all of your C & P exams.

Good luck to you.

GP

Thanks GP,

I did not know about your comments above. No travel pay yet for my 120 r/t for C and P exam of early March.

Is it automatic? My claim closed just yesterday, Apr.22

I've been searching to see if my new Priority 2 still has co-pays and so on. I am going to appeal the 30 % rating.

XNam Vet

Travel pay is not automatic. You have to complete a form and submit it to the VAMC travel office. Also, your claim may have closed yesterday but your effective date is probably the date you actually filed your claim.

You have to be priority 1 (50% or higher) for the copays to be waived on VA appointments and prescriptions.

GP