VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Have A New Computer

Dorothy Kansas

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founder

most computers come with a way to take the system back to factory new settings. sometimes it's in your programs sometimes it's a disk or disks that came with your system.

if you are trying to transfer files - i found the best way for me to do this is to buy an external usb drive i put all my files on it. then run a virus checker on them then plug it into you new computer and all your files will be available.

• In Memoriam

A program called "Drive Copy" is excellent for coping one drive to another. I have bought many Versions of Drive Copy over the years, and the program always works very well. It has simple to use instructions. There are numerous options.

Go to Comp USA or Circuit City read the Box for "Drive Copy". It is just a CD, that you pop in your CD drive. I don't remember what the cost of the program was, last time I bought it. There are many cheaper copycat versions of Drive Copy, but I only recommend Drive Copy.

Oh ya, you can go into safe mode (XP). You can restore to an earlier point if your system comes up in normal mode.

• start
  • all programs
  • accessories
  • system tools
  • system restore

A little more guts:

Hold down the F8 key when you boot up. When the diagnostics screen comes up look at the bottom. It says press F8 key to troubleshoot. Press F8 key it will take you to a restore screen. At this level you can also start in Safe Mode, boot logging, Normal Mode, or diagnostics. Just follow directions for restore system to original condition.

This will not erase files, but it will restore the computer to the original system conditions that you bought it in. This will not restore any new device drivers that you have added since buying the computer. You will have to reinstall any drivers needed for peripheral devices that you have added. Check your computer manuals for this procedure.

Edited by Stretch