VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp What Is The Process To Apply?

Rate this question

x020574

Question

Last year I was scheduler 90% (Tinnitus,DM II, IHD and PTSD) and shortly afterwards awarded TDIU 100% + housebound. I was also awarded SSDI and have a long list of ailments. I am 64, turning 65 in March, and I feel like I have no interest in anything anymore (and haven't in a long time). I take psyc meds but it helps a little... if any. I don't have the ability to return to my previous employment and seriously doubt I would be eligible for Voc Rehab. I sometimes think I am just waiting around for one of my illnesses to do me in... yes, sad I know. I think a hobby like wood working of photography could help me to get out of myself and rejoin the human race.

What steps would I need to do to inquire whether or not I could be eligible for ILP, do I request Voc Rehab just to go through the motions of being rejected for retraining??? I have to do something besides hanging around the house all day napping and watching TV. I have really been bummed out since I learned that I now have a new dx for a very rare autoimmune bone marrow disorder called PNH... it is an acquired disorder not genetic... fortunately for me my current state is stable, but it is progressive and life threating. The only known cure is a bone marrow transplant which is an option only used as a last resort because of its complications.

My wife is an MD and has quit her fulltime work as a physician and is attempting to start a small business that would allow her to work from home and keep an eye on me. She hasn't really been making any money yet so I'll ask my next question: would she/I be eligible for aid & attendance? If so, how do we get that process going.

Thanks for listening and any advise you may offer.

x020574

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

There is only about 2700 vets accepted into the program a year, but I have not seen statics showing it has gotten to that limit yet so I know there are spots available. Go onto ebenefits and apply for VOCREHAB. Once it is sent to the closest RO, you will be sent a letter stating a date and time to meet a counselor. Go to this appointment. Bring all your paperwork. Since you can not work you should qualify for ILP. A social worker will come out to your residence and look around, ask questions on what you need to help you become more independent. It is often guaranteed you get a computer, printer, etc, shower handles, raised toilet seat,walkers, canes etc.Maybe wider doors, steps, porch but not to extend beyond a certain size. They should help you with a HISA grant, automobile grant, housing grants, etc

You can also start thinking of ADVOCATIONAL needs and Not wants. ASKNOD is very well educated on this subject. Some counselor's are very strict and some are more easy going, it is the luck of the draw. I had good success with the program and am satisfied. I'm also re-applying for ILP for a few other things as they said after all your goals are met then they close your case, meaning once you get all your items the social worker suggests you need, things you think you may need a plan it drawn up and agreed upon. Once all items are received then your case will be closed but you can re-apply again.

ILP is not like the older days were people got practically everything they asked for. It is also turning into a system that seems to be dying down. Most counselors may look at you and say what is ILP? Print out the rules, etc of the program information. All this is my opinion.

saints13 thank you for your response. I will do as you suggested and file a VocRehab application on eBennies and see where things go from there. I wasn't sure and didn't want to create unnecessary paper work and jam up the 'system'.

I don't mean to sound dumb but is ASKNOD something in eBennies or is it someone who is an advocate that helps veterans on HadIt?

It will not clog up the system, it gets sent directly to your closest VOCREHAB office. It's not like a clam for increase.

ASKNOD is an expert on this forum. He also has his own website. Just google ASKNOD and it will pull up his website page.

He chimes in a lot on this forum, as well as Mrs. Berta and other expects that has giving me me a lot of advise and help.