VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Not Service Connected

Rate this question

DirtyBulk

Question

Gents,

I have lurked around these boards for about a year now. This board has helped me in more ways than I could ever explain. I am forever grateful for the advice that I have gained from you guys. I am currently rated at 90% for PTSD/Anxiety, Migraines, L/R Shoulder surgeries, keloid scars and tinitus. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and given a CPAP by the VA, however, when I filed my claim for it, I was denied and said it was not SC. In 2011, a year into my contract, I was diagnosed with anxiety. During one of my visits to the hospital, I had complained of sleep issues and it was documented in SMR. I was also prescribed to Xanax by a military doctor to help with my sleep issues that I was having.

I know how it goes with the VA, but I was pretty damn sure this was a shoe in, but to no avail. I have been assisted by a local VSO and he has been great, but before we sent in this claim, I asked him if I should have "Buddy statements" to support this claim and he advised no, that it could actually make the claim take longer than it should. Those buddy statements I have are from 3 buddies, one of them being the doc that was attached to our platoon in Afghanistan. I complained to him multiple times about my sleeping issues.

I don't know what I should do from here, if anyone has any experience or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Rah :ph34r:

Folks:

My understanding is that a vet has the best chance of gaining Sleep Apnea service connection if they are disagnosed and treated in service for the OSA?. I also, had UUUVP Surgery at a Military hospital in service as well but that did not help much? Later, I had 2 other Civilian Sleep Sudies in which my OSA went severe as well as submitting a DBQ from a Sleep Doctor with my FDC which said the OSA happen in service as well. I've been concerned about this but I think I have a pretty good case based upon what I'm hearing?

Hey all,

Just wanted to give you guys an update on the situation. My VSO reopened the claim with new lay evidence. They were your general buddy statements, but one of the statements were from my DOC who was deployed with us for OEF, who admitted to denying me any tests because of where we were and only giving me benadryl for my symptoms - he also states he was aware of all my symptoms, yet he denied me any sleep tests. The second statement was from my former NCO, he admitted to telling me to suck it up and deal with the sleep issues, he admitted to counseling me and switching shifts because of my sleep issues.

On top of that, we went through all of my medical records and found many complaints to sick call in regards to sleep trouble, day time drowsiness and overall fatigue because of lack of sleep. One Commander even gave me Xanyx to help "aid with the service member's sleep issues".

I have been checking e-bennies every week - in the beginning of July, there was a notice of preparation for decision dated for 08-01-16 through 01-01-17, which was true to the VA's timeline for everything, BUT last week I checked again and they bumped the notice of prepartion date to the end of this month: 08-30-15 through 09-27-15. They moved the date ahead a year, which I am hoping that it's for a good reason, but who knows.

Wish me well!

Edited by DirtyBulk

• HadIt.com Elder

Can I tell you that if a doctor who might have suspected OSA prescribed Xanax or Clonazepam for OSA might have killed you right there. Those drugs slow down respiration. You were already having difficulty breathing at night and perhaps actually stopping breathing at times. I have OSA and I have not tried to get it SC'ed since I have been out of the service for 45 years. I had plenty sleep problems in service, but I just thought it was normal to wake up five times a night when Arty was blasting away.

They will not give me any sleep aid medication bc of my OSA. They will not precribe any 'benzo drugs' such as zanax either. A few years ago, they might have, though. They gave me valium 2 years ago on AD for muscle spasms even though I was already diagnosed with OSA. I think this is something that is being highlighted right now, meds with interactions with OSA.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, I have had a lot of trouble because I get opiates for chronic pain and clonazepam for anxiety. This drives the sleep doctors crazy. I have been fighting with them all for months over this problem. One doctor prescribes one thing and another says it wrong. I go over their heads when they start arguing among themselves. Nobody is really in charge of my treatment plan but me.

They will not give me any sleep aid medication bc of my OSA. They will not precribe any 'benzo drugs' such as zanax either. A few years ago, they might have, though. They gave me valium 2 years ago on AD for muscle spasms even though I was already diagnosed with OSA. I think this is something that is being highlighted right now, meds with interactions with OSA.

At the time, I was happy to take anything that helped me sleep, but it was just a short term solution to a long term problem. I am hoping that with this lay evidence, it will get me SC'ed.