VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Not Service Connected

Rate this question

DirtyBulk

Question

Gents,

I have lurked around these boards for about a year now. This board has helped me in more ways than I could ever explain. I am forever grateful for the advice that I have gained from you guys. I am currently rated at 90% for PTSD/Anxiety, Migraines, L/R Shoulder surgeries, keloid scars and tinitus. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea by the VA and given a CPAP by the VA, however, when I filed my claim for it, I was denied and said it was not SC. In 2011, a year into my contract, I was diagnosed with anxiety. During one of my visits to the hospital, I had complained of sleep issues and it was documented in SMR. I was also prescribed to Xanax by a military doctor to help with my sleep issues that I was having.

I know how it goes with the VA, but I was pretty damn sure this was a shoe in, but to no avail. I have been assisted by a local VSO and he has been great, but before we sent in this claim, I asked him if I should have "Buddy statements" to support this claim and he advised no, that it could actually make the claim take longer than it should. Those buddy statements I have are from 3 buddies, one of them being the doc that was attached to our platoon in Afghanistan. I complained to him multiple times about my sleeping issues.

I don't know what I should do from here, if anyone has any experience or advice, I would really appreciate it.

Rah :ph34r:

Can I tell you that if a doctor who might have suspected OSA prescribed Xanax or Clonazepam for OSA might have killed you right there. Those drugs slow down respiration. You were already having difficulty breathing at night and perhaps actually stopping breathing at times. I have OSA and I have not tried to get it SC'ed since I have been out of the service for 45 years. I had plenty sleep problems in service, but I just thought it was normal to wake up five times a night when Arty was blasting away.

At the time I did not understand the severity of the issue, but after researching it I understood that it was dangerous. Says a lot about the thought process of some of the doctors.

Wow,

I have the Almost similar situations, I am at a DRO hearing wait for if they will link Sleep Apnea from Buddy statements (one of them from HM1 Corpsman assigned to my unit and a DBQ from Chief Nero of VA that states in record sleepiness and it the one who also prescribed me a CPAP after his Study and diag of OSA. This request for OSA came 13 years after service, so i will let everyone no about the DRO hearing outcome.. that was done a month ago.. i might wait a couple years.. who know's but i will update the forum.

My Buddy letters One from Doc stated i snored loud in squad bay on deployments, no diag of in service which it is fashionable correct that this is what VA wants and if they don't get that in service treated for OSA then they just deny.. lets see.. Same situation..

Hurry up and Wait..

Good luck buddy - it's a stressful situation, but I hope it pans out because the least they can do is take care of us. I feel I have really strong lay evidence, especially because I have 2 service members admitting they denied me proper care.

Sleep Apnea is one of the most difficult ratings to get, IMHO. As with any claim, you need all 3 Hickson elements: Current diagnosis of sleep apnea,

in service event or aggravation, and nexus between the two.

Check your file to see if you have all three, I do not know your medical records. Chris Attig, attorney, has written a fair amount on sleep apnea service connection. Im waiting for a decision now, but may well buy his book on SC for sleep apnea.

Unfortunately, I do not have a nexus. I am hoping with the really strong lay evidence I provided, which consists of 2 service members admitting they denied me the proper attention I needed, it will get me SCed.

Just curious, but did you request an IMO letter from the VA doc? My VA doc was more than willing to write an IMO letter on the spot for me. I filed the NOD a few weeks ago and am hoping to hear back from the VA soon, but it will most likely be another 6 months.

Just curious, but did you request an IMO letter from the VA doc? My VA doc was more than willing to write an IMO letter on the spot for me. I filed the NOD a few weeks ago and am hoping to hear back from the VA soon, but it will most likely be another 6 months.

No I didn't request one - honestly, didn't even know what a IMO letter was. Let's hope what I submitted will suffice, I know it's an uphill battle. I am hoping that since they moved my decision date up a year it will be good news. Lord willing!