VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran/child Of Nam Vet Exposed To Ao

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Well, I done gone and did it. I was at Leb. VA for C&P for knee increase. While killing time I spoke with the Enviro. Health rep. Gave her a copy of my DD-214 and my father's. Also a copy of the page of my original VA rating letter that stated spina bifida of S-1. She is excited because I am her very first Child of AO. I also spoke with the Bennies counselor, who put in my AO claim, and officially stamped it as received. I am his first as well. Guess I'm #1, huh? I pointed out to him that my proof is the VA's own X-ray and rating letter!!! He said that the regional office for this type of claim is in FL. And he's got no idea what kinda time line we're looking at, here. She was talking to the other person in the Enviro health office, about medical workups and said that I shouldn't need the same kind that a non-Vet Child of AO would need, since I'm already in the VA's system. I'm nervous and excited to see how this will play out. I hope and pray that the burden of proof has already been met, with their own X-ray, and they accept and qualify my claim.

I wonder if this will then stand as proof for secondary SCD I may be dealing with. I welcome any and all comments. My Dad, on the other hand, is not sure if he wants to put in his own AO claim. Or any of the laundry list of SC and denied SC claims. When I spoke to him, he seemed like maybe he didn't want to face this giant one more time(VA). I think I may have opened a box that has been sealed and hidden in the farthest region of his mind. Just writing this now is making me feel horrible, what kind of son am I, to release that Dog of War in his mind?

Dang...

Andy,

There is info on the VA website listed as "Benefits for Veteran's Children with Birth Defects." Basically, I believe all you have to prove is your father's service in Vietnam, your birth after his service and your diagnosis of Spina Bifida. You should be able to prevail with your claim. Keep us posted on your claim as it progresses. Hopefully, your efforts may eventually help other children of AO vets.

Good luck and take care.

GP

I am glad you were encouraged to file the spinal bifida claim.
here are some links to more info.

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/birth-defects/spina-bifida.asp

http://www.va.gov/PURCHASEDCARE/programs/dependents/spinabifida/

http://www.va.gov/HEALTH/NewsFeatures/2015/January/Helping-Beneficiaries-Stricken-with-Spina-Bifida.asp

I am assuming when you enlisted , this disability was not noted? or was it?

"what kind of son am I, to release that Dog of War in his mind?"

The Best kind of son, as his denials were probably wrong anyhow.

On April 30th of this week it marked 40 years since the Vietnam War ended and to many, if not most Vietnam vets, Vietnam can still be like yesterday.

How long ago were his claims denied?

There are new AO presumptives as of 2010 and I hope he doesn't have any of them but one of them I never dreamed I would ever see on the AO presumptive list (Ischemic Heart disease).

With IHD diagnosis and proof of Boots on ground Vietnam, that claim should not be denied , even if it was in the past....

he could easily re open it

Also those 2010 AO presumptives include Hairy Cell B Leukemia and Parkinson's disease.

"When I spoke to him, he seemed like maybe he didn't want to face this giant one more time(VA)"

I fully understand that, but that is what the VA wants,for vets to be denied and get fed up and then just walk away.

Maybe you can encourage him to re- open his claims.

Most of us here have been denied many many times. And we fought back until we succeeded.

Maybe he can come on board with us or read over your shoulder while you are here and find out he is sure not alone in getting those denials.

If he gives you permission to scan and attach the last denial he got (The Reasons and Bases Part and the evidence )(cover C file number, name and address prior to scanning )

maybe we can help him determine how to re open those claims.

Edited by Berta

GP,

I will post progress reports as things move along. Thanks for your support.

Semper Fi

Berta,

I will be checking out those links you posted. The first time that I can recall ever hearing SB in reference to me was on my I initial rating letter from May of 1999. When I asked about it, I was told it's congenital and we(VA) don't cover that.

He retired in 1992, after 24 years in the Army. I think he only made one claim, his initial one with everything in it. And it came back with yays and nays in '93. He was awarded 70%, mostly due to being on a twin engine bulldozer that was hit by a VC rocket. Around the same time the concurrent receipt issues was being worked on, VA contacted him said oops we screwed up and knocked 10% off is rating.

His father passed 4 yrs after he came home from Nam. Dad was only 26. Grandpa was in WWII, and Grandma lived it as a teen growing up in Bremen, Germany. Dad couldn't talk to his Mom about it, and never really had much time to talk with his Father. Growing up we NEVER talked about Nam. He would only give short answers when asked. I read hundreds books about Nam, growing up. Just to try to understand why my Dad was different than other kids' Dads were.

As for health issues, I know he has hypertension. Also has had some skin cancer issues. He has nerve damage and most likely arthritis from the aforementioned bulldozer experience. I know he has back problems, it was his reason he couldn't play ball or roughhouse with his 3 sons.

When I spoke with him, the other day, about filing his own AO claim, and claims for all else, he quickly warned me to back off. Said he will think about it. But I will ask him if he would be willing to let me post some info on here to see what the Hadit family says.

I can still hear the change in his voice, when I told him over the phone, that I have SB. It was like he knew it was from AO through him. I appreciate your encouragement Berta, I think this going to be a long journey for my Dad and I.

Semper Fi,

Andy

Hey, it's me, again. I have some update info to share. According to the Enviromental Health rep at Leb. VA, she said that the AO office contacted her, and then she contacted me. You can not file a claim as a Child of AO 'Nam Vet, without the said named Nam Vet having first filed their own AO claim. So...my claim has been sent back down to the farm leagues to get more experience. I called my Dad to let him know. So....that's that.

Berta,

I asked him if he would be willing to let me post his claims and denials on here, to see what ya'll think, without any PII(HIPPA), and he said he'll have to think about it .

Semper Fi.

Andy

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, it's me, again. I have some update info to share. According to the Enviromental Health rep at Leb. VA, she said that the AO office contacted her, and then she contacted me. You can not file a claim as a Child of AO 'Nam Vet, without the said named Nam Vet having first filed their own AO claim. So...my claim has been sent back down to the farm leagues to get more experience. I called my Dad to let him know. So....that's that.

Berta,

I asked him if he would be willing to let me post his claims and denials on here, to see what ya'll think, without any PII(HIPPA), and he said he'll have to think about it .

Semper Fi.

Andy

What would happen if the A.O. exposed Vet were deceased, and a child has one of the listed A.O. related disabilities?

While I can see why the VA might say what it did, I don't remember any specific law that said that the veteran had to file first.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would file the claim. Remember anything a VA employee tells you cannot be held against them and it may not be true. I see no reason you can't file. As Chuck stated, "suppose the vet is deceased" or suppose the vet and child are estranged, for some reason?? Unless the VA's statements are written, you have no recourse. And even then they could be wrong. Might you have a claim against Monsanto or Dow, also ??? just thinkin', outloud . . .

pr