VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dsm Iv Or Dsm-V - Are C & P & Ro Raters Required To Use Year Claim Filed ?

Rate this question

fatheryabueloDE9

Question

Good day fellow Vets,

It appears many C & P exam results posted the last few months are quoting the use of DSM IV, some DSM-V.

I filed my claim in May 2014. My C & P exam was in March 2015. The VA Psych examiner official results quoted using DSM-V.

Since Feb. 2014, my primary CBOC, MH practitioner (a contracted LCSW) exclusively used DSM-IV.

Most of his notes about my visits from Feb. 2014 through Sept. 2014 quote DSM-IV terminology; all have a GAF of 45. (None recently.

He was on medical leave from late Oct until this month)

Recently, in April 2015, my Regular meeting with my 2nd MH person was changed at the last minute. Upon my CBOC arrival,
I had a tele-conference with a MD/Psychiatrict at the VA's W. Palm Beach Regional Center.

Her notes of my "visit" quoted I was at a GAF of 55.

Btw, my Claim closed about 2 weeks ago.

A few days ago, my VSO stated the VA's RC Raters are suppose to be using the DSM in effect when a claim is filed. He has been a VSO for 15 years.

A few days ago, the VSO and I met about the 30% rating I recently was given by the FL Regional Office.
I am filing NOD but not specificially about the DSM issue.

I am confused !

Can I please have guidance on what is correct VA rater policy?

Thanks for any clarification.

A Nam Vet

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well I think I found this reference you are looking for. Had a heck of a time finding it.

Had to put it in PDF the source is listed below and when you click you have to download a word document first, but when trying to copy and paste it screwed up the formatting so I made it into a PDF for you.

Section A. Examination Requests - Veterans Benefits - United States Department of Veterans Affairs

Tbird,

I appreciate the link and document. This stuff is confusing!

My mind was scrambled before and still after my Claim closed in late April.

A part of my MH problem seems to be having impaired abstract thinking. That seems to fit part of the criteria for the 50% rating.

I think you are hung up on the DSM issue...The DSM IV was not beneficial to Veterans and therefore the DSM V was conformed and used. It has been in use since early 2014. Your MH doctor's using DSM IV is irrelevant to your C/P exam. The reason I am saying this is b/c the DSM V is more favorable to us Veterans. The examiner/doctor that did your C/P exam for MH is indicating you are 30% - Since we can't see the notes I can't give you an accurate analysis.

The C/P examiner did have the same notes you have from your treatment records correct? Was anything mentioned in the C/P exam about reviewing them?

Of course you can file an NOD - we are all entitled to do so what I am trying to wrap my brain around is what concrete evidence do you have that you should be 50% vs. 30%...It's possible to win the NOD and I hope you do...Just trying to help you out