• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
1994andcouting.....

Good Nexus Statement From Veterans Affairs Doctor?

Question

Hello Hadit Members, I have not been on here in a very long time. However, I do check in from time to time to read opinions on different subjects. I appreciate all the hard work that members do here.

Backstory:

Discharged in 1988 due to “other physical/mental conditions. Personality disorder”

In 2008 and after 14 years of battling for my disability for neck/back injuries and depression, I gave up after being denied. I didn’t appeal the BVA decision. I was really worn out.

I was diagnosed with PTSD due to MST (changed from depression) back in 2007. For some reason I didn’t pursue it. I told someone after it happened and she didn’t believe me so I held it in. Over the years I shared it with family/friends and they ‘got it’ they now understood why I am the way that I am.

I heard of a study that was being done by the VA and I was chosen to participate. When told I would be videotaped, I said no. I wasn’t ready. Every time I would start therapy/meds I would stop, I started again last September, it was going well until she kept wanting me to write about the incident. Yuck. I bailed. Praying that I will get the courage to start again sooner than later. I already feel the effects of leaving. However, I have been taking my meds daily and sticking to it for once. I have resigned from my job once already, just turned in another notice last week. They really like me and my work and are looking for something that isn’t client facing. My anxiety ruins my chances of ever dealing with people on a constant basis. I get angry and it’s just not good for the company.

Earlier this year, after my youngest turned 18, I decided to file my claim. While gathering evidence I ran across this a letter from my VA physician at the time. I was so worn out I didn’t even read it to be honest. It came after the fact, if memory serves me.

He mentioned the things that he was treating me for and the meds that I was taking. The only thing that he wrote was this one paragraph and it made me scream HALLELUJAH!!!

“Her DD214 documents “other physical/mental conditions-personality disorder”. In my opinion, it is likely that depression and fibromyalgia, with onset during time of military service, are causing ongoing physical and mental symptoms.”

Is this a good nexus statement? In my mind its yes yes yes, but I know that you all have more experience.

Your thoughts?

Edited by 1994andcouting.....

Yes it is a start...please search for and read all the PTSD MST info here.

" In 2008 and after 14 years of battling for my disability for neck/back injuries and depression, I gave up after being denied. I didn’t appeal the BVA decision. I was really worn out."

Can you tell us the Docket number and Citation Number of that decision?

BVA decisions ( no names or anything) are public at the BVA web site.

"I was diagnosed with PTSD due to MST (changed from depression) back in 2007. "

As long as this was documented I am surprised the BVA denied.

When we read their decision we can help more. That date puts you under the older PTSD criteria, easier for many vets to fulfill,than the new 2010 criteria.

Did you claim and did they deny the fibro as well?

Many have walked away from their claims. I know how frustrating this all is.

The VA does not want us to fight back denials and they want us to be uninformed of all the regulations that can work for us as well as for them.

Do you have a copy of your VA medical records and also your SMRs?

The Personality Disorder is the same Bull Crap they have pulled on many vets.

I am glad you are willing to take them on again!

Thank you for your service.

Do you get SSDI or SSI and is it solely for the PTSD or for depression due to the MST?

Edited by Berta

Berta, thank you for the speedy reply. I will try to answer as much as I can

Yes it is a start...please search for and read all the PTSD MST info here.

I have and it is very useful and part of the reason I decided to move forward.

" In 2008 and after 14 years of battling for my disability for neck/back injuries and depression, I gave up after being denied. I didn’t appeal the BVA decision. I was really worn out."

Can you tell us the Docket number and Citation Number of that decision?

BVA decisions ( no names or anything) are public at the BVA web site.

I will have to locate the numbers. Will post asap.

"I was diagnosed with PTSD due to MST (changed from depression) back in 2007. "

As long as this was documented I am surprised the BVA denied.

I don’t think this was changed until after the fact or possibly during the appeals process. I wasn’t pursuing the MST case then. I decided to wait.

When we read their decision we can help more. That date puts you under the older PTSD criteria, easier for many vets to fulfill,than the new 2010 criteria.

Did you claim and did they deny the fibro as well?

Yes they denied it even though they I believe that my VSO did in fact send this letter in to support it. HonestlyI don’t recall the details from that time as I was so upset about the outcome. I literally blocked it all out. So hurt.

Many have walked away from their claims. I know how frustrating this all is.

The VA does not want us to fight back denials and they want us to be uninformed of all the regulations that can work for us as well as for them.

Do you have a copy of your VA medical records and also your SMRs?

I have everything but the past year of records from the VA. I stopped going to the VA in 2009 after a Dr in pain management accused me of trying to get compensation for three car accidents (only one was my fault) that I had that year. He didn’t know I had been in the VA system since 1994 for the neck/back injuries.

The Personality Disorder is the same Bull Crap they have pulled on many vets.

I have heard that and its awful.

I am glad you are willing to take them on again!

Thank you for your service.

I am honored. In the past I was ashamed to even say that I was a vet because I felt like I failed since I got out early. Now looking back and admitting/accepting that this did happen to me i realize that I am still a Veteran, just an injured one.

Do you get SSDI or SSI and is it solely for the PTSD or for depression due to the MST?

I do not. Can I? I have not even checked into that.

Sounds very favorable................

Sounds very favorable................

Thanks Fat, its weird because I notice a LOT of movement on my claim since I uploaded that letter and letters from a relative very close to me and another from a State Official (non legislative but someone I met along the way).

Update:

On Saturday 5/23 at 1630, the RO Women Veterans Coordinator called me to ask ONE question. She said that they have everything that they need but she wanted to see if I had that information in my file and if not if it was available so that she could retrieve it. I told her no that the chaplian in question fell asleep on me during our counseling so there are not any notes.. She is sending me to the rater and the rater will decided whether I need a C&P or not.

I told her that I am impressed to 1) get a call on a Saturday and 2) especially on a holiday weekend. She said that they work mandatory 10 hours on Saturday. So if anyone thinks that these claims are sitting idle, I can attest that mine isn't. I pray that it continues to move forward and I also pray that you all see similar action taken.

I will update as soon as I get more information.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Glenndawson100
      Hi there, Recently actually yesterday the 21st of February the VA gave me notice that my supplemental claim had been decided and that they had sent out the letter that morning as well (meaning the decision was actually made on the 20th). This of course prompted me to check Ebenefits, where I saw no change in my rating. I'm currently rated at 40% for other issues. And in the past Ebenefits updated almost instantly leading me to believe that this supplemental claim was denied. I originally submitted my Epilepsy claim back in august, it was denied about 4 months later due to conflicting phraseology given by one of my doctors (mind you i still have a diagnoses of Epilepsy with 15 witnessed Grand Mal seizures at this point). Once i got the original decision letter I contacted my County VSO's office and set up an appointment. After they reviewed everything they we surprised that my claim was denied as it has a clear nexus and on top of that falls under the conditions; that if they manifest within a year its considered service connected (I separated 02/01/2019, first seizure onset was 05/25/2019). They did review the 112 pages of evidence from my civilian doctors and did see the conflicting phraseology. They told me that if I could get my Neurologist to just confirm my diagnoses and say i was and have been under treatment since 05/25/2019 that we could submit a supplemental claim since that's the fastest route. So that's what we did. That brings us to now. Under the standards for Epilepsy I was looking at a single rating of anything between 80%-100%. An 80% from 40% would have resulted in something Close to 90%. While i'm holding out, since in either case the retro pay (if my claim was awarded) would be greater then 20K that the additional signatures required are slowing down Ebenefits from updating, but as in most cases if the letter has sent and Ebenfits doesn't updated, 90% of the time you Claim/Supplemental/Appeal is denied. ( I mean correct me if I'm wrong). Whats the moral of the story? No matter how much evidence you have to support you the VA will be the VA. I'm lucky that I'm rated for other conditions so that I can at least have the VA help me cut down on the costs of treatment for Epilepsy, but it would have been nice to have it service connected so that I wouldn't have to wait months on months for Neurology appointments since I don't have priority. If any one has any information for me that might help moving forward, I'm all ears as once my letter is received and upon reading of the denial ill be filling an appeal.
    • By Johnny Adams
      Good Morning,
      I have a few questions about SMC.  I currently receive SMC S, for I have 70% PTSD and have 50% for Sleep Apnia, 40% for Fybromyalgia, 30% Migranes, 20% for Cervical Spine, and 10% for TBI and a host of about 9 other things all listed at the 10% Disability rating.  Would they just look at new A/A that I just submitted or would they pyramid me to the SMC t?  this is so confusing.  Thanks for any help.
    • By JaeT.21
      I have 4 C&P exams this Friday. All for increases. (Migraine, PTSD/depression/anxiety/chronic pain/agoraphobia, bilateral foot pain and knee pain increase [including VA issued knee brace and civilian issued AFO foot brace]).
      Should I have my wife ad adult kids who both witness and suffer from my mood swings, depression, anxiety and antisocial like living on a daily basis? They can also talk about my constant leg pain and migraines.
      I also want my supervisor to do one regarding my migraines that have me leaving work early, alot. But that is a touchy subject, because I don't want me asking him to affect my employment.  Also I hide a lot from them, to keep my job, like  just suffer with headaches and migraines at work. Or fake my way through the day, pretending to want to be around people. 

• By asknod
      Fifty years in the making. Five filings since 1971. Welcome home, Bob.  A truly fitting Christmas present.
      Remember the magic words: " leave no one behind".
      https://asknod.org/2019/12/29/vba-portland-you-know-it-dont-come-easy/
    • By Anharris
      Hello,
      Quick background; I injured my back severely in Kuwait in 2013(I was 22) no proper medical exam or treatment at the peek of the injury just pumped full of pain meds. Once back in the states it still took months before Someone decided I actually needed an xray just to be told I was fine. There were times where I’d experience temporary paralysis below the waist, daily pain levels above 5, numbness, pinching and burning sensations in lower back and to be told nothing was wrong made me want to give up and suffer in silence because no1 seem to take me serious. However the pain was so intense I found myself in the ER sometimes twice a week with strange knots in my back that were shrugged off as muscle spasms and just given more pain meds. I was given a 10% rating after separating in 2014. I didn’t know what that meant or why. Almost 7yrs later the pain is worse back and forth with the VA with treatment that either aggravates or just doesn’t work and I recently discovered that I was diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain BUT it stated it didn’t come from work. I couldn’t believe it. I now live in MD near DC and although terribly discouraged feel I need to fight what seems to be a system that hasn’t cared for me properly since day 1 and appeal. The question is. IS IT WORTH IT? I paid out of pocket for X-rays and made some discoveries about my back that make much more since than what the VA tells me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
    • Peggy toll free 1000 last week, told me that, my claim or case BVA Granted is at the RO waiting on someone to sign off ,She said your in step 5 going into step 6 . That's good, right.?
      • 7 replies
    • I took a look at your documents and am trying to interpret what happened. A summary of what happened would have helped, but I hope I am interpreting your intentions correctly:

2003 asthma denied because they said you didn't have 'chronic' asthma diagnosis

2018 Asthma/COPD granted 30% effective Feb 2015 based on FEV-1 of 60% and inhalational anti-inflamatory medication.

"...granted SC for your asthma with COPD w/dypsnea because your STRs show you were diagnosed with asthma during your military service in 1995.

First, check the date of your 2018 award letter. If it is WITHIN one year, file a notice of disagreement about the effective date. 

If it is AFTER one year, that means your claim has became final. If you would like to try to get an earlier effective date, then CUE or new and material evidence are possible avenues. 

I assume your 2003 denial was due to not finding "chronic" or continued symptoms noted per 38 CFR 3.303(b). In 2013, the Federal Circuit court (Walker v. Shinseki) changed they way they use the term "chronic" and requires the VA to use 3.303(a) for anything not listed under 3.307 and 3.309. You probably had a nexus and benefit of the doubt on your side when you won SC.

It might be possible for you to CUE the effective date back to 2003 or earlier. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the restrictions of CUE. It has to be based on the evidence in the record and laws in effect at the time the decision was made. Avoid trying to argue on how they weighed a decision, but instead focus on the evidence/laws to prove they were not followed or the evidence was never considered. It's an uphill fight. I would start by recommending you look carefully at your service treatment records and locate every instance where you reported breathing issues, asthma diagnosis, or respiratory treatment (albuterol, steroids, etc...). CUE is not easy and it helps to do your homework before you file.

Another option would be to file for an increased rating, but to do that you would need to meet the criteria for 60%. If you don't meet criteria for a 60% rating, just ensure you still meet the criteria for 30% (using daily inhaled steroid inhalers is adequate) because they are likely to deny your request for increase. You could attempt to request an earlier effective date that way.

Does this help?
    • Thanks for that. So do you have a specific answer or experience with it bouncing between the two?
    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines