VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scheduled To Attend Va Hearing

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

I am scheduled to attend a VA Hearing in St. Petersburg on the 14th of Nov. I requested this hearing before I submitted my (2) doctors statements and after I receive a Pre-Determination letter of the VA "proposed" Rate decrease. I had 30 days to request a hearing and 60 days to submit any additional evidence. I have already submitted doctors statements. Now, I need to know what should I go to this hearing with? What type of information? What should I say? I have never been to a hearing and have no idea of what to expect. Can someone offer some insignt?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cherie

Where in Florida are you. I live in Orlando and have allot of experence with St pete VARO.

Why are they reducing you. Are you PT? DO you know of any one else going through this process?

Myself I was injuried by the VARO by there retaiaton for my reporting them to my VA Dr and when they read the Dr notes. The RO denied me benifits because as they noteded I wore a T shirt that said stop VA claims abuse. The RO then went on to give me 1 year back pay even though I spent 10 years in a VA and vets home and 22years on SSDI for my SC conditon.

If you have a record of abuse by the RO towards your claim. You have a right during the hearing not to answer any of there questons until your protected from the RO.

Myself if they ever call me in ill immeaditly ask for protecton and cite to them what they did to me and the harm it caused and let that be the only issue I will talk about

I do that now with my VA psychitrist stating I need protecton from the RO and what they did to me. So far the hospital has taken no steps to proctect its pts from the abuse of our medical records by the RO.

Terry Higgins

Hi Terry,

I live in Jacksonville. I am not PT and they proposed reducing my rate because of what the examiner said at my C & P exam who supposingly questions the description I gave him of my symptoms. I submitted a rebuttal statement from my va psych doctor, who mentioned to me that this same examiner has tried the same thing with another veteran that was a patient of his.. I have had this rating since 1998 and I have been disabled since 1994.

• HadIt.com Elder
• Never go alone.

o Never go alone to a disability interview or hearing. Always take a relative or a trusted friend. Take your attorney if possible. There is strength in numbers and bureaucrats are less likely to be unpleasant in front of witnesses. It's human nature.

Believe this as you do the Bible. Absolutely do not be in any room with anyone alone.

If they or someone tells you that you must be alone. Leave immediately.

Believe me!!

It may sound innocent, but it isn't. I fell into that trap, when the two psychiatrist would not allow my husband to be present for their C&P.

I called the General Council. Where is your proof?

You haven't got any.

Josephine

Believe this as you do the Bible. Absolutely do not be in any room with anyone alone.

If they or someone tells you that you must be alone. Leave immediately.

Believe me!!

It may sound innocent, but it isn't. I fell into that trap, when the two psychiatrist would not allow my husband to be present for their C&P.

I called the General Council. Where is your proof?

You haven't got any.

Josephine

Thanks for the advice....I am hoping that I can submit my doctors statement and not have to say much. I am also hoping that my DVA Rep will be there with me.

Thanks,

Cherie33 ,

Just remember this for now and later.

I am paying dearly for my mistake.

Josephine

It is such a shame that a veteran has to go through so much "drama" to get their legitimate claim increased, or approved. I have never had this problem before. I submitted my claim and they did a C & P exam and I was awarded my disability rating. Now, I am doing the same, and I have to be afraid to talk to them,. because if I "SAY" the wrong thing, its curtains for me...

• HadIt.com Elder

Cherie33

Your DAV SO should present your case to the hearing officer. He should ask you questions so that you can testify about your condition. That is the advantage of having a SO with you. You don't have to argue your own claim. You provide the evidence and the SO should present the claim.