VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Questions About The Va Hearing

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Ok....Let me get this straight.

First, I need to fill out the IU form and submit it to the VA, with a copy of my letter from my psych doctor.

Second, I need to send in another claim for schizoaffective disorder as being secondary from my current Major Depression withPsychotic Features.

And this will all be considered together, with my current claim for increased SC disability for Major Depression with Psychotic Features and IBS.

I will be attending a VA Hearing in November, at that time what will happen? Is it like going to court? Will I have to say anything, will someone represent me? I get nervous trying to talk to people I don't know.

Cherie

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Cherie,

As I stated before in a previous post, you'll only receive one rating for a mental disorder, so by submitting a claim for schizoaffective disorder as secondary to your MDD it would be a wasted effort, and more than likely would just muck up your claims process.

Having said that, you stated "my current claim for increased SC disability for Major Depression with Psychotic Features..."

Does your current rating already state "Major Deppresive Disorder with Psychotic Features?" If so, it looks like the VA has already taken into account the additional mental condition.

You do not need to submit an additional claim, just make sure the VA has your recent reports which note your schizoaffective symptoms.

Vike 17

Vike 17

I wasn't intending on submitting an additional claim for schzoaffective disorder. When the VA proposed to decrease my current rating for Major Depression with Psychotic Features, I got a statement from my Psych Doctor, who mentioned my condition had worsen and also stated that my symptoms "were more consistent with schizoaffective disorder, and will probably never work again". This was the first time that schizoaffective disorder was mention. The VA changed my beginning diagnoses of "Personality Disorder" to the Major Depression with Psychotic Features" sometime ago.

Now, I have to attend a VA Hearing, which I immediately requested after I received their Pre-Determination Letter of "Proposal to Decrease my Rating" in order to give me some time to get my evidence together and so they wouldn't decrease my benefit on Nov 1. I submitted that additional info (2) Doctors Notes and now I have a hearing scheduled. So, I am wondering what the hearing will be like.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cherie,

As I stated before in a previous post, you'll only receive one rating for a mental disorder, so by submitting a claim for schizoaffective disorder as secondary to your MDD it would be a wasted effort, and more than likely would just muck up your claims process.

Having said that, you stated "my current claim for increased SC disability for Major Depression with Psychotic Features..."

Does your current rating already state "Major Deppresive Disorder with Psychotic Features?" If so, it looks like the VA has already taken into account the additional mental condition.

You do not need to submit an additional claim, just make sure the VA has your recent reports which note your schizoaffective symptoms.

Vike 17

Cherie,

Vike 17

Vike17

I am more interested in getting my current disability "Major Depressive Disorder, with Psychotic Features" increased. As well as my Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) increased. I have already submitted my doctors statements regarding both disabilities.