VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Do you have to ask your VA PCP about sleep apnea to request a c-pap machine?

or does the VA pcp put in for a sleep study and then make the DX to S.A. to get the cpap machine?

I can't sleep well and snore bad toss & turn? meds like melatonin don't help

I take MH meds for MDD and other meds for pernicious anemia.

I am dead dog tired all the time and feeling flat out fatigued...for no reason?

I'm thinking its because I don't sleep much.

I have an appointment with my VA pcp on the 3rd of June next month.

Any advice is appreciated.

................Buck

Buck,

I have SA and it sucks. always tired during the day, hard to concentrate, and I am very irritable all the time. Tell your PCP about your sleep issues and ask for a sleep study. I had a home sleep study done thru my Community Dr. but I don't know off hand if the VA does the home study yet. The replacement equipment (hose, mask and other stuff) wasn't covered under my private insurance after a year so it started to get pricey to replace. My VA Dr. made an appt. with the Respiratory Dept for me. I called about a week out from the appt. and let them now I already use a CPAP and the study was within 5yrs. They took a copy of the study and handed me a new machine. It takes awhile to get use to the mask and you may have to try a few different ones out before you find the best fit.

Agree with Scotter- I was literally falling asleep in traffic before getting sleep study years ago- CPAP has been a Godsend (ut is also a bit of a ball and chain.)

I highly recommend you ask for a sleep study; I wouldn't even wait for PCP appointment - contact your doctor and ask for referral now because it can take awhile.

When first getting CPAP machine you may want to use it on Ramp up feature, which gradually increases the pressure until you're accustomed to it.

I only used that a few days then just start it at full pressure.

I started with nasal mask which only covers nostrils; needed a chin strap to help keep mouth closed so I'd breathe thru nostrils. Breathe Right strips are helpful to open nostrils more if you have any congestion or deviated septum.

If you have nasal issues which preclude the nasal option, you can go Full face mask which is what I use now. I am going to check on Biotene which was mentioned in forum to aid in dry mouth which can occur with full face mask.

Regardless- I use CPAP every night and wouldn't want to go without it now.

Good luck! :smile:

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks scotter04 & NT

I Called my pcp at the VA and she is going to make me an appointment for sleep study...she suppose to call me back.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

.................Buck

Buck52

My boyfriend went through the same issues a few years ago and got his PCP to order the sleep test. He wound up having SA and getting the CPAP machine.

I was diagnosed with SA, Jan of 14. It's been as much of a miracle as anything. I still wake up several times a night, but my quality of sleep is greatly improved. Not sure if I can put in a cliam for that. I remember my roommates complaining that I talked in my sleep, and snored. But either way...CPAP is worth it!