VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans

• veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Arthritis

dougbo1943

Question

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

12 answers to this question

I have the following question.

Does Arthritis have any kind of relationship to Agent Orange?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gunny

Gunny, Here is the directive.

e) Disease associated with exposure to certain herbicide agents. If a veteran was exposed to an herbicide agent during active military, naval, or air service, the following diseases shall be service-connected if the requirements of §3.307(a)(6) are met even though there is no record of such disease during service, provided further that the rebuttable presumption provisions of §3.307(d) are also satisfied.

Chloracne or other acneform disease consistent with chloracne

Type 2 diabetes (also known as Type II diabetes mellitus or adult-onset diabetes)

Hodgkin's disease

Chronic lymphocytic leukemia

Multiple myeloma

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

Acute and subacute peripheral neuropathy

Porphyria cutanea tarda

Prostate cancer

Respiratory cancers (cancer of the lung, bronchus, larynx, or trachea)

Soft-tissue sarcoma (other than osteosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, Kaposi's sarcoma, or mesothelioma)

Note 1: The term “soft-tissue sarcoma” includes the following:

Adult fibrosarcoma

Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans

Malignant fibrous histiocytoma

Liposarcoma

Leiomyosarcoma

Epithelioid leiomyosarcoma (malignant leiomyoblastoma)

Rhabdomyosarcoma

Ectomesenchymoma

Angiosarcoma (hemangiosarcoma and lymphangiosarcoma)

Proliferating (systemic) angioendotheliomatosis

Malignant glomus tumor

Malignant hemangiopericytoma

Synovial sarcoma (malignant synovioma)

Malignant giant cell tumor of tendon sheath

Malignant schwannoma, including malignant schwannoma with rhabdomyoblastic differentiation (malignant Triton tumor), glandular and epithelioid malignant schwannomas

Malignant mesenchymoma

Malignant granular cell tumor

Alveolar soft part sarcoma

Epithelioid sarcoma

Clear cell sarcoma of tendons and aponeuroses

Extraskeletal Ewing's sarcoma

Congenital and infantile fibrosarcoma

Malignant ganglioneuroma

There are quite a few arthritis claims at the BVA web site.

Either the veteran claimed it as secondary to another SC condition,with medical evidence of the link- or the veteran's SMRs revealed it in service.

My neighbor has just been told by a VA doc that his arthritis , in back , hips and knee is more than likely due to a severe back injury well documented in his SMRs. This was supported by recent MRI results.

some people get service connected for arthritis, if they get pick for special duty in some kind of sport, i was on special duty for almost six years in the Army. i am S/C for Arthritis of all joints. due to my special duty.

Guest rickb54
some people get service connected for arthritis, if they get pick for special duty in some kind of sport, i was on special duty for almost six years in the Army. i am S/C for Arthritis of all joints. due to my special duty.

As a supervisor, I hated guys like you (special duty) they always seemed to get special treatment, and never came to work even when the season was over. Bu that is another story.

As far as getting arthritis, your being on special duty did not get your an award for arthritis, sc for arthritis is awarded due to trama to the joints. Chances are you would have gotten arthritis no matter what you did, or in your case didn't do while on active duty.

Edited by rickb54 (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

Gunny,

Arthritis can be awarded service-connection via a number of senarios. The first is if you had, as Rick said, a traumatic injury to a joint or bone during military service and it shows up currently on an x-ray. The second is through the presumptive criteria. When artritis manifests its self to a degree of 10% disabling within one year of discharge/retirement, then it can also be awarded service-connection. One other way arthritis can be service-connected is if it actually shows up and is diagnoses during military service and is reflected in one's SMR's.

Vike 17

Edited by Vike17 (see edit history)

Thanks for all of the inputs. I am sc for traumatic arthritis in my right foot and left knee for medial meniscectomy. I now have bilateral arthritis in both knees and it is shown by x-ray.

From all of your advise I will get an IMO to connectthe right knee to my left knee or right foot. I have a serve limp on both legs due to the sc left knee and right footl

Agin thanks for all the help

Gunny

As a supervisor, I hated guys like you (special duty) they always seemed to get special treatment, and never came to work even when the season was over. Bu that is another story.

As far as getting arthritis, your being on special duty did not get your an award for arthritis, sc for arthritis is awarded due to trama to the joints. Chances are you would have gotten arthritis no matter what you did, or in your case didn't do while on active duty.

rickb54

WOW,hate is apretty harsh word to use on a person you don't even know. the sport i was involved in was year round sport, your right the special duty did not get me the award for Arthritis, but the sport i was involved in did, i was diagnosed with traumatic Arthritis in military service at the age of 32. the trauma to my joints came from that sport. not only the joints but the muscles also.

i was with the 101st airborne division,{Air Assault}, Fort Cambell,Ky. when my Battalion Commander found out what i was capable od doing in my sport, i was called into his office, and was told in no uncertain terms what i was going to be doing for his Battalion, five day later i was on special duty. my life would have been hell if i refused. this was in the 70"s.

So i guess everyone will get some kind of Arthritis,as they get older, i had to stop my sport at the age of 35, because of so many injuries. i worked hard at my sport everyday, i brought a lot glory to my Battalion{that's what they wanted}. i traveled all over the states and Europe promoting the Army and the 101st Airborne Division, i recruited alot of guys into the military. and now at the young age of 58 i can harly walk because of the injuries i have to my body. If you want to call this special treatment, you don't have a clue.

As a supervisor, i will give you the benifit of the doubt and say maybe rickb54 was a working supervisor, because most supervisors i knew sat on there fat asses and drank coffee all day, then took the glory for the work that the soldiers under them did. HATE, WOW do i sence some jealousy, don't tell me you would not have jump at the chance of going on special duty, if you had the chance. i guess you were not athletically inclined. but then again i might be wrong, because i don't know you.

See Ya