VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Have The Ability To Claim And Benefits?

Rate this question

jack898

Question

Hey All.

I served active duty in the coast guard about 10 years ago. I was only in for about 10 months and then honorably discharged with 'unsuitability' as the code (Long story, but I was a Jew stationed in the deep south- Didnt go well for me and I took the option to leave early when offered to me by the CO via a honorable discharge)

My question is, Do I qualify for any Benefits such as a VA Loan, GI bill, etc.. I apologize in advance as I know this forum is primarily for disability claims which obviously I dont have a claim for.

Thanks

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Founder

I believe for home loans you need

• 24 continuous months, OR
  • The full period (at least 90 days) for which you were called or ordered to active duty
  • *If you do not meet the minimum service requirements, you may still be eligible if you were discharged due to (1) hardship, (2) the convenience of the government, (3) reduction-in-force, (4) certain medical conditions, or (5) a service-connected disability.

The GI Bill depends on when you went in but I'm not sure on how long you needed to be active duty.

Here's a link to the VA's benefit site and you can browse and see what you might be eligible for http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/

GI bill if you had it is probably expired by now anyways. Get service connected and use Voc Rehab. Home loan if you happened to be medically discharged and get connected for that condition it will qualify you for home loan. Go ebenefits Click On The Home Loan link If You Can Generate A COE you're good. If not you can apply for one and hope for the best they'll ask you for copies of your 214 and such.