VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Disabilities For C&p's

Rate this question

Tower_Rat

Question

Recently I have undergone several C&P's. During the C&P the Dr asks various questions concerning the disability I'm claiming and other ailments or disabilities that may raise problems in the my health. During mine the Dr stated from medical records that I had more than just the one disability and marked down all the other ones along with the major one. My question is do the raters also rate the other disabilites with that or just the claimed one that you file for? Maybe they just take into consideration all the other ones overall and how it makes the Veteran feel. For example in my case PTSD was the claim but, of course they said I had depression as well as agoraphobia, P/D non specific, general anxiety with panic disorder and so forth. Does each one of these gets rated? or is it just a mass rating of overall effect to the sum of total disability? Im confused.

Thanx any help is appreciated.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Tower Rat,

Generally, the VA will only address the claims you have formally filed. Having said that, there are instances when the VA will "infer" a claim, meaning they saw some condition in the veterans SMR's that really jumped out at them and added that issue to the claim without the veteran actually claiming it. Some regional offices do this more than others. In reference to your PTSD with the other mental conditions associated with it, the VA will only rate the more disabling condition and 'lump' the others with it. The VA can not, by law, assign more than one rating due to a mental disorder, so they will rate the mosre disabling condition.

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

Does headaches come under Mental Disorders?

I only ask, because I filed for chronic anxiety, depression with headaches in 1978, again in 2002 and was awarded the pension unable to hold gainful employment due to anxiety, depression and headaches.

Filed in 2002 and the case is open at the BVA for " Acquired Psychiatric Disorder to include anxiety with depression, but no mention of headaches.

Headaches were listed in my NOD, but has never been addressed. I ask and they always say, " it is included as part of the anxiety.

Is this true?

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think C&P doctors are looking for inferred claims to rate. They get paid to rate your claimed disabilities. Never have I had a C&P doctor go looking for disabilities to rate that were not claimed by me. That is my experience. If you don't claim it don't expect the VA to rate it. You just have to file a claim on every service connected disability you have. That is the key and many vets don't file for years and lose the EED.

• HadIt.com Elder
I don't think C&P doctors are looking for inferred claims to rate. They get paid to rate your claimed disabilities. Never have I had a C&P doctor go looking for disabilities to rate that were not claimed by me. That is my experience. If you don't claim it don't expect the VA to rate it. You just have to file a claim on every service connected disability you have. That is the key and many vets don't file for years and lose the EED

Are you stating that I didn't file for headaches. If I didn't then, how did I file for anxiety and depression?

Josephine

Does headaches come under Mental Disorders?

I only ask, because I filed for chronic anxiety, depression with headaches in 1978, again in 2002 and was awarded the pension unable to hold gainful employment due to anxiety, depression and headaches.

Filed in 2002 and the case is open at the BVA for " Acquired Psychiatric Disorder to include anxiety with depression, but no mention of headaches.

Headaches were listed in my NOD, but has never been addressed. I ask and they always say, " it is included as part of the anxiety.

Is this true?

Josephine

Headaches are rated under the Neurological disease listings as Migraine.

8100 Migraine:

With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged 50

attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.........

With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an 30

average once a month over last several months................

With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 10

months over last several months..............................

With less frequent attacks.................................... 0

The Key word is prostrating.