VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tn Cuts Aid For Property Tax Relief For Disabled Vets!

When a state needs money, the knives come out and the cutting starts. MI passed a 100% P&T Vet property tax Exemption late 2013 with no income or Property Value stipulations. All this with a Rascally Republican Governor and Republican controlled House & Senate. It truly was a good day for !00% SC Scheduler or IU, T & P Vets.

As to Tenn recent changes, any change that cuts, hurts. I just checked out some income and real estate info reg Tenn as a whole. 2014 avg family income should come in around $44,297.00 per 1 yr Census info. Zillow showed the median Tenn home value to be currently at $127,300.00. That's Retail value, not state/county assessed value.

In MI, the County Assessed value, which determines MI property Tax, is always about Half the Retail Sales Value. It appears that the Tenn State Legislature, along with needing money is trying to insert what they believe to be a level of fairness.

That income restriction will really hurt. A qualified vet with a wife, getting $38K SC comp and 2 SS checks (about 32,400 yr) are SOL. Need some very heavy and creative deductions come Jan 1.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Its a myth that GOP is always wanting to cut Veterans benefits. As Fact check . org pointed out, its simply not true that Republicans voted to cut Vets benefits, here:

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/06/moldy-baloney-about-vets-benefits/

In part:

A Democratic PAC is serving up some 11-year-old baloney in an attempt to keep ex-House member Doug Ose from returning to Congress. It accuses the California Republican of voting “to slash veterans’ benefits by $15 billion,” when what he actually voted for — way back in 2003 — was an increase.

The ad also claims he voted to increase his own pay, which he didn’t. In fact, Ose sponsored legislation to repeal automatic pay raises for himself and other members of Congress.

end of fact check quote.

More recently, it was reported that Harry Reid, the democrat, voted to block passage of 21 billion dollars of Veterans benefits:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/veterans-benefits-budget-bill/2014/02/27/id/555258/

These benefits, blocked by the democrats, would help Veterans in many ways:

"We're not going to be intimidated on this," GOP Sen. Jeff Sessions of Alabama said before the vote. "We're going to do the right things for the veterans of America."

Under the bill, more veterans would have become eligible for in-state college tuition, even improved dental care — and some wounded troops left unable to have children would have received fertility or adoption services.

In addition, the Veteran's Administration would have received more resources to ease its backlog of cases, and the bill would have bolstered programs for veterans who suffered sexual abuse.

end quote.

I hope Tbird closes this politically biased post, so that we can focus on Veterans issues and not politics..especially attacks on the GOP which simply are not true.

END QUOTE

Whoa! This is not a politically based post at all. The information I have stated was from news articles that were googled in main stream news. Just because

it may be the Republicans who did this does not mean I am saying anything negative, just reporting from actual articles. Someone I think Pete posted even more information than was contained in the letter we received. I am sorry you are upset. So am I but just saying what I wrote is the truth.

Edited by TiredVeteran

Sorry to hear it - sqwak to the media about it- pols are always in a hurry to get photos next to disabled vets- see if you can find one who'll take a photo of a disabled vet asking about this deal.

That is a GREAT idea. I am really trying here to just help out the disabled veterans and the very poorest from being the ones that were targeted.

From what I have seen of house sales here, the tax value is usually higher than the market value, or if you are a lucky seller, same as tax value. That has happened in recent years, before the tax assessment was usually lower. Banks use the tax figure now as a big part of the loan approval. Locally, our city taxes are going WAY up.

IF I understand the letter we got, if you are already in the program, a means test doesn't apply, but not sure.

When we called the comptrollers office, they had not received any information. There will be an educational meeting for them in July.

I respect and thank each and everyone of the veterans.

Edited by TiredVeteran

In MI, you have qualify and file for the exemption each year.

Semper Fi

Gastone