VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Garnishing My Wages From My Disability Va Check.

Rate this question

Dipper

Question

I have a question, my friends wife owes social security several thousand dollars. Will social security try to garnish his VA benefits check to recover the amount of money that his wife owes.

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm 99% sure they can't garnish his VA compensation, as it is her debt. However, if I were him, I would move my VA money to another bank, and not a joint account, just to be sure they don't accidently seize it, and cause them some hardship.

Generally, they will either waive repayment of an overpayment or allow her to set up a repayment schedule. Many years ago, they, accidently, overpaid me, almost $4k, and when I brought it to their attention, they waived it. jmo

pr

About 5 years ago, an over payment was created when I reported I got married and my spouse earned too much to be eligible for pension. Of course, it took VA 2 years to do anything so I was overpaid on the pension.

When They finally fixed it, they said they over paid me, as I was not eligible for pension.

Since I told them about that 2 years prior, and explained my wife

s income is not available to me, and it would create a hardship for me to pay it back, the overpayment was waived when I requested it.

I doubt the overpayment would stick if you asked for a waiver, unless you are rolling in the dough. I had to provide my financial statements to get the waiver for hardship.