VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dbqs - This Doctor Will Do Them

Rate this question

ArmyDude1997

Question

Only musculoskeletal DBQs (back upper and lower, knees, feet, hips, shoulders, arms, hands, etc.). Nothing else. The VA does them for FREE but if you need help (i.e. your claim is taking too long, VA will not examine you, or you need a second opinion), this guy I believe is among the best most qualified orthopedic surgeons I've seen in my life. He will be fair so please bring all your evidence to him. He will get paid no matter the outcome (favorable or unfavorable) of the exam. I felt he was fair on my exam.

His contact information:

Regional Orthopaedic Medicine: Weiss David DO
Address: 201 Woolston Dr, Morrisville, PA 19067, United States
  • Phone:+1 215-736-2410

IMPORTANT: His time is very limited because this practice is very busy. He did 3 (2 for claims for increase and one for new claim) DBQs for me and assured me that he could help other Veterans in a limited basis. He charged me $500 for all 3 which I thought was good. He also prepared a medical opinion for one of them. You should be LOCAL (NJ, PA, or even NY, DE, WV, or be willing to travel or flight to include hotel).

You can tell him if you want to that I referred you to him. Please be patient with him as I think he is a really good doctor but found the process with DBQs to be a bit tough, but he did them for me, and said he will help other Veterans if they call and adjust to his busy practice.

Just wanted to provide this information in case any Veteran needs it.

On 1/23/2019 at 10:10 PM, dajoker12 said:

Yes, the VA will do it for free, but if you have a decent insurance policy, you can get DBQs done for a $25 co-pay w/ a medical opinion. One might make an argument that you could even essentially write up a medical opinion and save them the legwork and have them edit to their liking...........don't like the opinion........go to the next doctor and only submit the ones that are favorable to you.

dajoker12's post is correct.  Getting DBQs for your issues is a great way to handle the VA system.  But, there is a side note.  My regular spine surgeon who verified and diagnosed my spinal condition did not want to fill out the 11-page DBQ for cervical spine complete with required goniometer Range of Motion (ROM) readings.  These doctors just don't do ROM like that any longer, and haven't since the 1960s.  Those are done by physical therapists. But a physical therapist or physiatrist is not going to be able to fill out the diagnosis sections of the DBQ. 

So began my odyssey to get the spinal DBQ done.  I knew what my chances were of getting a fair exam in the VA's C&P exam.  I visited 4 orthopedic doctors in my area, at a cost of about $225 each out-of-pocket with all X-ray and MRI data from my regular doctor who wouldn't do the forms but did write a sort-of nexus letter.  No one would do the VA paperwork. Several of them basically treated me the same way as if I was scamming for opiates from them. When I explained that this rating was not going to put me on full disability but would get me access to the VA healthcare system for that health issue and allow me prescriptions and physical therapy, they still refused.

I was referred to an orthopedic practice that works with lawyers on automobile cases.  This firm realized that I needed this form for VA disability and referred me to a "Functional Capacity Evaluation" (FCE) firm --and told me to find it on Google, please. I called the FCE firm and after a few minutes conversation they told me bluntly that they couldn't help me because their services were not what I needed.

I still haven't found a firm in the DelMarVA peninsula that will do this exam.

Then there is the nexus letter.  If you attempt to get your doc to do a nexus letter similar to those sample ones seen online without adequate discussion of your case and how it links back to your military medical records WITH TEST DATA, it will be deemed inadequate and ignored and your case will be denied for lack of nexus. 

When I figure this all out, I'll post on Hadit how I did it.