VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Any One Read Ecg?

Rate this question

m5a9c4

Question

I know I am asking alot. I have had two different opinions on what this shows. One person said they see scarring, maybe from old MI. Another said they don't see it. Can any one give an opinion so I don't waste time and money on an independent Doctor.

Thank you

post-17846-0-20455700-1434369932_thumb.j

post-17846-0-67518400-1434369953_thumb.j

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

3 answers to this question

The only entry I see that might need follow up is the possible left atrium enlargement.

Otherwise to me they look Normal.

We arent doctors here but I am familar with EKGs and didnt see any dates on them to show that the possible enlarement might be a change from a prior EKG.

Sometimes VA does X rays of heart but, in my case, they didnt know how to interpret the X ray correctly after my husband died.

The main piece of evidence I had ( in addition to his auitopsy and 3 EKGs ) to prove his heart disease was severe and never diagnosed properly, was the ECHO results.

Did they follow up on the possible enlargement of atrium with an ECHO test?

If there had been scarring from a past MI, that would have been noted to the right hand side of the test printout strip with wording such as 'possible inferior ischemia" and would need a medical follow up.

Edited by Berta

What type of disability are you claiming?

As usual, Berta, is the gold standard on this! Her reference to comparing older EKG's is vitally important to establish a progressively worsening (improving-don't we wish!) condition or a serious cardiac event that requires immediate attention.

I have had some good luck finding EKG results and interpretations with Google. In fact, I was able to find one that matched mine exactly and included an understandable explanation. I wouldn't expect that everyone to find their exact match, but at least some in the ballpark. Be creative with your search terms and look past the first page of hits. I search "Images," look for similar and then hit "Visit Page." Works for me.

Having said that, I strongly recommend that none of us try to become pseudo doctors especially with cardiac symptoms/tests! Berta, God Bless her, did a massive amount of research after the fact (the most sensitive way I know how to say that) and really handed the VA their ass--repeatedly. I am not saying that we all should refrain from researching our own individual conditions/symptoms/medications. I believe we should be as knowledgeable as possible! It is really the only way that we can have intelligent conversations with our providers.

Beware, however, that some providers really take offense when you walk in with some knowledge! I have had some real contentious conversations with some VA providers who would prefer that we just take their advice and pills and not bother them. I just don't happen to be willing to do that. I am extremely unfortunate that the medications and treatments for one severe SC condition provoke and aggravate another severe SC condition and vice versa. There is really no way out for me.

One particularly obnoxious VA AH said, "I have been a VA doctor for 30 years; so I guarantee you that I know more about medicine than you do." To which I responded, "I have had the condition for 42 years during which I have experienced a minimum of 45,000 separate attacks, have traveled the world seeking input from the world's foremost experts with whom I am on a first name basis, and read every single article and paper ever written about the condition in any language; so, I do know a damned sight more than you will ever know about MY condition. Are you willing to work with me on this, or must I request another provider? Ah hell, with your attitude we're just wasting time. Let's just end this right here. I'll just get a better provider." I got up walked out of the office and did exactly that. I hit the jackpot by getting a PCP (NP) who was willing to work with me and had the best medical care a person could ask for until she suffered from burn out and changed positions. After that, my VA provided health care has gone into the crapper and stayed there including having one PCP who went on a 45 minute rant about what SOB's veterans are because all they want is drugs and what SOB's the hospital administration staff are because they won't provide enough support personnel for the clinics. She then got up and walked out and QUIT! With that attitude, she probably did me (and all other vets) a favor by quitting her job. In response to a complaint that the quality of my medical care is deteriorating, another VA provider recently stated that I have "no right to complain because all of my medical care is free. You get what you pay for. You should be thankful that you're not in the Philippines! "

Everything in " " is in fact a verbatim quote because they are transcribed from digital recordings I make of every encounter I have with the VA. (I will discuss the legality of recording with anyone who is interested, but only by means of PM or email.)

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use