VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First Vso Meeting

Rate this question

spearhead91

Question

Hello all,

We had our first VSO meeting to start the claim process. So this will be my official start date I guess. Also, claimed for GWI/GWS for a few of the symptoms that I had not thought of and thought best to add all I could think of or what is my SMR etc. and PCP's.

I've been reading here for a few weeks learning, noting, and quite frankly you'all make me proud! Keep up the great work of supporting each other!

Spearhead91

The day the claim is filed is the "start" date, for any retro due to you. We call that the EED, earliest effective date.

When claiming multiple issues, it is best to state the main disability first and then any secondarys you believe it has caused,then any separate disabilities..

The Gulf War presumptives and evidence requirements are found here:

http://benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-gulfwar.asp

Thank you for spending the time before joining to read some of the excellent posts here.

If you are claiming PTSD I am sure you read over the 2010 changes to the PTSD regulations.

Not sure I understand what you said re: SMRs....do you have a copy of your SMRs?

Hope so, and that is great.Every vet needs a copy of their SMRs.

You might fall under the presumptive regulations or under the direct SC regulations.No enough info here to know yet.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta I usually can find no problems with anything you post but the day you file should be the start date but as many here can attest the VA loves to finagle start dates, My start date was June 1991 but by the time the VA got finished it was November 1993. Alex Humpfries told me to let it go it would drive me crazy and it almost did. To preserve your start date be sure and keep up with all dates and file the right paperwork.

Thanks all much appreciated! Thanks Berta on the EED I'll have to look that one up. I've been out of the service awhile so I tend to be playing catch up reading...a lot!.

Edited by spearhead91

Pete, if a claim is filed on a specific date, sometimes the VA makes a Fenderson rating....

What I mean is the retro should go back to that date, if there was retro due, as of that date....

or the retro might have been for say a 10% rating, at time of filing the claim, which by time of award, and medical evidence got worse and became a staged 30% rating....(Fenderson)

Also VA ,as you are correct, does pull some odd stuff with EEDs, often by using the date of a C & P exam as the formal EED , because that is when the disability ,they say, was formally ratable.

There is also the possibility that a vet rep writes up the claim for a vet, and then fails to send it into the VA for many months.

The VA might well give that vet the date they received the claim, as the 'start date'

EEDs, when questionable ,should definitely be appealed.

Also a SSDI award can also render a favorable EED.I posted that reg here years ago.

Even Chap 35 makes ,in essense, EED errors.

They gave my daughter one month of Chapter 35.

They somehow forgot, even with her properly filled out application and copy of her DD 214, the 7 years she was in the military.

They sure fixed that error in 3 weeks when Mommy learned of it. Award for 7 years of Chapter 35.

And certainly a successful CUE claim or 38 CFR 3.156 claim can garnet a better EED too as well.