VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Claim Recently Diagnosed Glaucoma?

Rate this question

leafar1988

Question

Hello everyone,

I am 26 and I was active duty Army from 06-13. I was just diagnosed with open angle glaucoma in both eyes, and the images of my optic nerves indicate they are slightly damaged due to the high eye pressure and large optic nerves (both are common symtopms of glaucoma) also my eye pressure was 26 in my right eye and 25 in the left. I was prescribed eye drops that I have to use twice a day for the rest of my life. They gave me the Alphagan drops first but they only lowered my pressure to 18 in both and my doc wanted it lower so he gave me stronger drops called Combigan and that is keeping my eyes at a healthy 15 for the eye pressure which again, I have to use for life. I also need to see him and get everything checked and test ran again every 2-3 months. So i have to be seen 6-7 times a year.

Would I be able to go to the VA and claim glaucoma and actually get a rating ? I was prescribed glasses while on active duty but i dont think anything was mentioned about high eye pressure or probable glaucoma to me. After I got out is when I found everything out during an eye exam. My civilian eye doctor has all the records of his findings and the pretty images of my slightly damaged optic nerves and its mentioned that I have to take drops forever. I still wear glasses and at the moment he did not see anything wrong with my periphial vision test which doesnt get bad until severe optic nerve damage. So what do you guys think?

I have all of the proof from my civilian doctor after i got out. Do I have something here? What should I do?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

well yes you can file a claim, but you need to get it SC for rating purposes , you need the Eye Doc to opine that your eye disease in his opinion happen while on AD. from this veterans history and its 50%likely as not this veterans eye disability was caused by his military service. (the Doc needs to know your medical history)

and you need to produce all your medical records from the service service treatment records or STR'S private treatment records,ect,,ect,,

you need something that happen while you was in the military to the effect that caused your eye disease. this is your burden to prove.

I am not sure what the rating is for glaucoma....you actually might get 10%...I do know a veteran has to be nearly blind for 100%

...........................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=4be518da592caeee0c65d2ba6e1f9edb&node=pt38.1.4&rgn=div5#se38.1.4_175

Read 4.75 4.76 4.77

Maybe this will give you a better understanding. you may want to print these regs out and take to your private eye Doc.

...............Buck

Edited by Buck52

Yes you can still get connected for your condition. Find a link to service in your AD medical records, you obviously have a current dx/tx and submit claim hopefully you'll get an Exam. Or get a private DBQ make sure to get the nexus medical opinion and then submit.

If you don't have a link to service that will be tough. Do you have any Gulf War Service?

Iraq Kuwait Saudi Arabia The neutral zone between Iraq and Saudi Arabia Bahrain Qatar The United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) Oman Gulf of Aden Gulf of Oman Waters of the Persian Gulf, the Arabian Sea, and the Red Sea The airspace above these locations

If you do have gulf war service submit it as a gulf war presumptive you'll get a GW exam and hopefully get connected. Be sure to submit evidence of GW service if it's not on your 214 like say an award or eval documenting location specific that you were actually there.