• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

289%
    $4,338.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

C And P Exam On 8 July 2015

Jaydog

Question

I have been reading some of these blogs on MST and PTSD. I have a C & P exam on 8 July 2015. I have read some that are helpful and I am just a little nervous about this process. For one I am a Male and I disclosed it last year in July 2014. It was the hardest thing I have ever told anyone and was not completely comfortable telling my therapist either, but I had to do something because my mental state was deteriorating fast. I actually pushed the whole incedent out of my mind for along time telling myself it was no big deal. I could not tell anyone because I am a Guy this does not happen to men, so i silently suffered since 1995. I now have an exam. I have been diagnosed with PTSD due to MST and depression. I suffer from sleep distubances and night sweats. My wife tells me I scream in my sleep. I have gone to a couple MST groups and found them to be helpful. I still don't like to talk about it because I am supposed to be strong, but I have so much shame and guilt from it. I have constant anxiey and have panic attacks. I just worry about it and any guidence would be helpful.....

• Like 2

Hello Mark Thanks for your feedback.... I will post a redacted copy of what they sent me and read it for yourself. Maybe I am interpreting in wrong, but I don't think so.

Welcome aboard and just go in there and be honest bud. I too have something in common with you and I am 33, and feel that it will take a long time for me to get over it, as I was a child. Thank God I have a great wife and kids. Good luck, God Bless and keep us posted.

As long as you have Markers that the MST occurred you should be ok. The VA has dramatically changed the way it approaches MST in the past few years, especially toward men. That being said the C and P can be intense and disturbing as you recount the details of the MST. Don't hold back on showing how this has affected you.

• Like 1

Thank you Navy04

Mikemmlj, Obviously I never reported and I will have to go off markers. I have read a few things on it and I believe I have some pretty clear Markers. I graduated top of my class in AIT and had to AAM's and multiple Certificates for the work I was doing. Then one day it changed and I started on a downward spiral. My work suffered and I started drinking heavily and problems ensued after that and ultimately I was discharged for medical reasons because I could not control my drinking because I was using that to cope with my depression and suicidal thought and actions and did not get much better after I got out, so I assume they are some pretty clear markers, but who knows...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Joey Ross
      OK, I need some advice. I started a HLR in March 2020, and had a new C&P in August of 2020. VA has been waiting on records from JSRRC since then. By my MOS (11B1P), and awards (SWASM, etc.) , plus being in a combat zone and my C&P I'm uploading, should I file to have the VA process my claim with what they have, or wait for them to finish with the records request that could take God knows how long.

• By runaroundtime
      Wondering if anyone has some insight on my current situation.  Long story short, I became 70% service connected in 2018 due to a combination of issues, to include 30% for PTSD.  During my initial physicals with my VA primary care Dr I screened positive for TBI from a vehicle rollover in Afghanistan and began testing/treatment.  I eventually had a neuropsychological exam that Identified several severe cognitive impairments (auditory memory, processing speed) and several more moderate-mild impairments.  Based on this I filed a disability claim for TBI in November of 2019.  I just finally had a C&P exam for TBI that did not last long.  Based on browsing these forums, I am thinking that the neuropsych testing will be used and hopefully the severe cognitive impairment is listed.  Two weeks ago I did an ACE exam for migraines related to TBI.  I have been sitting around wondering when I will get my decision letter but instead just got informed that I need to do another C&P exam for PTSD.  Does anyone know why the PTSD C&P exam is needed now?  Are they trying to identify what symptoms are caused by TBI vs PTSD?  Can this even be determined?  Will they lower my PTSD or combine them?
      It has been 18 months since I filed this claim and I am getting pretty stressed out at all the additional testing they are making me go through.  Maybe  am stressing over nothing but waiting around for a decision for 18 months can really put a strain on the process.  
    • By rogus
      In an odd situation and don't know what avenue if any I should or can pursue. I originally filed in 1998 for PTSD and fought 4 years for against the VA. In 2002 I was awarded 100% (but not total and permanent and was in psychiatric ward twice that year). In 2004 the VA Claimed CUE (clear and unmistakable error) and severed my service connection in 2005. For the first 2 years a vet org helped me appeal and then just started ignoring my request for help. I was given the impression that my case wasn't winnable an they would no longer pursue it. I then spent a few years trying to defend myself but in 2010 I filed some paperwork late but continued on with the appeal process. Around 2013 I managed to find another VSO that would help me out and eventually (2015) I won my case, I was rated at 70% for my PTSD and with my IBSD rating that kicked it up to 80% and I was awarded T&P IU. However I was only back payed to 2011. Talked to the regional office and was told it was because I filed that paperwork late in 2010 but that I could appeal that. Now I have been in the psychiatric ward 6 times and still have thoughts of suicide on a regular basis. (Right now I'm on the VA "Hot List"  and am getting calls from VA social workers to make sure I'm ok.) Well after spending 10 years worrying about whether I and my family were going to make it and going into debt I was happy to just call it quits at that point and figured it was just the VA getting a last "boot in".
      A couple of days ago I found a copy of the VBA Judges decision and actually read it thoroughly. This is a direct quote "Service connection for an acquired psychiatric disorder was previously denied, however, at the time of the last decision on this claim, some of the Veteran's service records were not in the claims file.They have since been obtained.  Under 38 C.F.R. § 3.156(c) (2014), if at any time after VA issues a decision on a claim, VA receives or associates with the claims file relevant official service department records that existed and had not been associated with the claims file when VA first decided the claim, VA will reconsider the claim.  Here, because relevant service treatment records have been received since
      the last decision on this claim, and because there is no indication that VA previously would have been unable to obtain them because they did not exist or because the Veteran failed to provide sufficient information,
      the claim must be reconsidered on the merits.  See id."
      So the VA put me thru hell for 10 years for a mistake they made by mysteriously losing records from my file. Then I lost 5 years of back pay after I made a mistake - after having been put in a situation they created and I shouldn't have been in in the first place. Am I understanding this correctly or is my anger after finally realizing what happened clouding my view? If I am correct is there anything I can do about it? The VSO that helped me finally win this case told me that if I pursue this I will lose my T&P rating and possibly have to go thru another decade of their bs. I got to admit I'm afraid of even requesting records now simply because of the bs that the VA pulled over that 10 years am in no condition to go into another decade long fight with them. I can't hold a job because to much stress will cause me to have hallucinations (which is why I was in the psych ward twice in 2002 the last year I held a job). Not only that but I can't even try to raise a few bucks by selling my plasma because of the years I was overseas. My wife who quit her part time job in 2018 to look after me meets the VA's requirement as a Care Provider but because I served after Vietnam and before 9/11 she can't sign up for that program till Oct 2022. I don't know what to do or even if I can do anything? Plz send some advice my way.
    • By Cloudbuster
      Hi fellow Vets,
      So last year during the pandemic I finally applied for a PTSD disability.
      As I knew VA screw vets I found a Psychology that does DBQ and had one done via telehealth.
      Initial Decision letter for Aug 2020 I got a 50%
      I submitted a HLR and decision on Feb 2021 increased to 70%
      and this is on the HLR Reason For Decision 
      We are unable to use your submitted DBQ as initial PTSD examinations must be performed by a VA professional. A telemental health examination report is only acceptable and actionable for rating purposes when prepared by a VHA or VBA contracted examiner in response to a VA C&P request. Decision makers must not accept in lieu of VA examination any DBQ that has been prepared by a non-VA provider and completed by means of telephone or videoconference examination. 
      Because we were not able to use your submitted DBQ by itself to determine service connection, we ordered a VA Examination.
      Have a new DBQ completed via telehealth? And submit it via supplemental?
      Have a new DBQ completed via in person? And submit via supplemental?
      Or should I request a new increase and then submit a DBQ?
      I do believe I meet the 100 criteria.
      as explained to me by the Dr that did the DBQ.

the VA C&P exam was quick and did not ask questions.

Thanks.
    • By tfymradsan
      This one is a doozy...   Below are recently written summaries of my situation that I have sent to various VSOs and firms doing pro-bono work. I have already applied to the NLSVP for help with my discharge upgrade through the Navy, but that is likely to take a year or more before I will even hear back from them. I also just applied to the Yale NVCLR after running across their recent success with the Army discharge review boards. I have decided to go with the DAV for my VSO, but I want to be as thorough with this as I possibly can.   Questions that I have-   How do I proceed without screwing myself? I have been unemployed for a year now and while I would love for every single avenue to be explored, at this point 9+ years later I just any help I can get. What is the best way to collect and present character statements? I plan on contact anyone I can on social media from my unit to vouch for both my time in service and my time post discharge, but I don't want to put too much effort in a potential "small" category of importance. I know of others in my unit who were also ADSEPd following our deployment for misconduct in similar circumstances, many with differing outcomes- Are these potentially relevant to my case if I can get permission to cite their discharges? What would be the potential bars from getting backpay on my original 2012 claim that was closed? I missed my C&P exams, but I never knew they were scheduled in the first place.- Also, in light of the recent Federal circuit decision , to what degree was the VA obligated to notify me of the new evidence they received in 2014 at my new address? In order to register an account on e-benefits, I had to fill out a survey that included a soft credit check and questions regarding my past addresses. They knew, or were able to on demand pull and verify, every single address I've lived at since getting out, but up until two weeks ago my mail was going to the WRONG address I enlisted from? Hell, even the email addresses listed on my VA profile were my parents! None of the contact information in the VA systems I've come across has been even remotely accurate...   This is a lot, but I feel as if there are a lot of things at play in my situation. I can post redacted copies of what I have or clarify further on anything needed. Thank you in advance for reading.   -tfy           -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   START HERE FOR BACKGROUND INFO    
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 16 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines