VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi And Tpd Student Loan Discharge Success

Rate this topic

bh1981

For the TDIU, I have to say I was very fortunate to have had my coworkers sign forms and statements in support of my claim prior to me leaving. Even my boss did on my behalf. With that respect, I felt that I was pretty prepared as far as the paper process was concerned. However, the psychologist I saw at the VA, he was incredible. He was understanding, approachable, and he listened to my concerns and understood what those concerns were. With respect to SSA, I threw that application together under the thought that I would be denied. So when I received a call about a day ago saying I had been approved, my initial thought was the call was to tell me that I had been denied and I would have been okay with that. I guess there's a lesson in that...if you feel you are due your fair shake then apply and let the examiners tell you 'no' as opposed to denying yourself initially.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello all...I just wanted to post a couple successes that just recently came through. The first is on the social security front. As soon as I became entitled to TDIU I applied for SSDI. at process took 4 months and required absolutely no medical or physical appointment in person. I just printed out the TDIU letter from ebenefits, downloaded my medical history from myhealthevet and printed it off, which was subsequently sent to Social Security. That process took 4 months and required absolutely no medical or physical appointment in person. Just a quick 10-15 minute phone call with a representative. I was awarded yesterday and applied initially February 24th.

The other is the Total and Permanent Disability discharge for student loans. Again, I applied the second I was awarded TDIU and that, as well, came back as being discharged yesterday. My loans totaled $64,000! I feel very fortunate to have some of the resources that have been made available to me by this website. The joy I experienced yesterday was like Christmas, my birthday, and coming home from both of my deployments wrapped all into one! I wish you all the same amount of fortune.

Congratulations! Particularly on the student loan discharge as many are not as fortunate. (Depends on the exact nature of the loan.)

I don't know how long you have actually been unable to work, but it may be possible to get SSA to award an earlier disability date. I went through the "hoops", and managed to get an earlier SSDI effective date approved.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use