VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Initial Mh Eval

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Tomorrow afternoon I am going for my initial MH eval. Feels like the day I shipped out to boot camp, scared out of my mind!

Don't worry man. Just tell them like it is. Don't hold things back and be honest. Their there to help.

I second that.

Dont hold back...on anything, tell them everything.

When they ask questions tell them how it is on your worst day, if today is a "good day" dont describe that describe your worst day.

Some pointers for a MH comp claim

1) seek va MH treatment or go private but definitely still see va to have better records. If they want you to take pills, pick up the pills, if you want to take htem or not is up to you and depends on your situation. sometimes the medications do actually help however i feel the VA way way way over medicates to put on the aura they are doing something about people with MH issues. Definitely go see a psych or group for your own growth they do actually help.

2) keep records of everything, any doctors you see, prescriptions you have been given, etc. Also might be good to start a diary of how these things affec tyou in daily life. how often depressed, suicidal, etc.

3) get a IMO/IME done by a private physician if you can afford it to help bolster your claim.

4) If you get angry easy let them know, if you have outbursts or are paranoid let them know, if you get bad road rage let htem know. Think about how you were before and how you are now and the little things everyday that happen. at the end of the interview they will ask if theres anything they didnt cover, etc. thats the time to talk about things they didnt ask about.

Thanks,

At what point should I mention thoughts of suicide? And when should I mention about stuff while on AD?

Thanks Navy04, silverdollar, and USMC_Vet. I appreciate your words of encouragement.

Andy

Since you are reading this, you know I am not locked up in a rubber room! Anyway, went ok, doc seemed nice and truly genuine in his interest in what makes me tick. He wrote 2 pages of notes during the 90 minutes, and we didn't even really go into details on anything. I asked about the brain on fire sensation, he says that it's not very common, and most don't have it. But enough do that it's a legitimate thing. And he does have experience dealing with Vets with it. Told me it usually is associated with intense overwhelming anger, not of the short temper type. But more so with those that hold it in, for long periods of time. He did think it odd that I never had even a psych eval after my suicide attempt, while on AD, at work, in my work space! So anyway...