VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• 2023-foeum-banner.jpg

• red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

Ask Your VA Claims QuestionThe LatestVeterans Crisis Line

red-rectangle-thin-bar.png

• Show Your Support for HadIt.com Veteran to Veteran - Wear With Pride - You are part of a 25 Year Tradition of Veterans Help Veterans through the VA Disability Claims Process.

Check Out All The Ways To Show Your Support! 2022-11-16_06-22-29.png

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 20 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Diabetes And Gastro Intestinal

Berta

Question

While I was researching for a local vet I found this article from The Journal of Clinical Diabetes regarding diabetes and it's potential links to GERD and many other gastrointestinal disorders.

Might help someone here with a claim:

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabet...42000/pg148.htm

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

11 answers to this question

While I was researching for a local vet I found this article from The Journal of Clinical Diabetes regarding diabetes and it's potential links to GERD and many other gastrointestinal disorders.

Might help someone here with a claim:

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabet...42000/pg148.htm

Berta,

This is good information for diabetes wondering if there GERD is related to DM. My husband is DMI and has GERD, CAD, chronic kidney failure, hypertension, hypothrodism, PVD, ED, CCHD, multiple ulcers, arteriosclerosis, RBKA, basically little or no use of left leg. I thought this GERD was going to be difficult to prove connected to DMI, but he recently went into hospital due to gall stones in bile duct between gall bladder and liver. They had to first remove the stones, then remove the gall bladder.

Brandy

Edited by Brandy (see edit history)

Berta,

This is good information for diabetes wondering if there GERD is related to DM. My husband is DMI and has GERD, CAD, chronic kidney failure, hypertension, hypothrodism, PVD, ED, CCHD, multiple ulcers, arteriosclerosis, RBKA, basically little or no use of left leg. I thought this GERD was going to be difficult to prove connected to DMI, but he recently went into hospital due to gall stones in bile duct between gall bladder and liver. They had to first remove the stones, then remove the gall bladder.

Brandy

(This would not show up on the most recent for the last couple of days??)

Brandy -somewhere at hadit is the VA's diabetes mellitus train letter mentioning many of the complications that diabetes can cause.

I am sure that in your husband's situation- the CAD, HBP, ED, PVD,atherosclerosis, the kidney problems and even his

gall bladder problems might well be due to his diabetes.

I am not a doctor but during the past 2 years I have found many complications can be caused by diabetes and a veteran should not hesitate to claim any of them as secondary to their diabetes.

It all takes a strong medical link but still he presents a picture of numerous disabilities that certainly are possibly due to diabetes.

The PVD- I assume you mean peripheral arterial disease?

Does this cause the loss of use of his leg?

Has it been determined to be peripheral neuropathy?

PVD and PN is due to diabetes too -in most cases.

Edited by Berta (see edit history)

Berta,

He is sc for DMI at 20% for the last 27 years. Well because we did not know to ask for increase or secondary conditions, when we found out I did not know about VA procedures, regs, etc. So I sent in a claim for all (about 25) disabilities. I think this was a mistake and the reason it may take longer for a rating. I have sent them hundreds of medical pages from surgeries at hospital, records from GP, surgeon, cardiologist, kidney doctor, diabetic doctor. I know that these other conditions are related to his diabetes. It causes one disability, then that disability causes another and so on. I have recently responded to their 2nd VCAA notice. They have already informed us that they plan on scheduling an exam. I assume this will be done once they process the info I recently sent to them. They seem to be accepting the conditions that typically come with DM. It was a few of the others that they questioned this time.

Brandy

Berta,

The PVD- I assume you mean peripheral arterial disease?

This is peripheral vascular disease

Does this cause the loss of use of his leg?

He had below knee amputation over 8-years ago and left leg is in bad shape. His brochial index is very low in some areas and a lot of pain. He falls down a lot. He cannot walk or stand for long.

Has it been determined to be peripheral neuropathy?

Yes.

PVD and PN is due to diabetes too -in most cases.

You are right ---PVD-peripheral vascular disease-

I went nuts over a med entry in 2003- "DVD"-

but it meant diabetic vascular disease-the VA doc tried to say I interpreted this wrong.

I reminded VA I use the same medical sources they do for abbreviations and this is how I won FTCA and DIC claims.

In 1995 I stared at an entry- "RO/CAD" for months after my husband dropped dead from undiagnosed heart disease.I finally found what it meant "rule out cardiovascular disease" which they never did.

Dr. Bash used the term PVD disease instead-but made the same point and also used a medical treatise to show it was due to my husband's undiagnosed and untreated diabetes.

Understanding all the med symbols and abbreviations can help a claim considerably.

Brandy -does he get SSA benefits for the diabetes and these complications?

I forget- is he unemployed-

If he isnt working I suggest he apply for TDIU- I just dont know how that might affect the progress of his claim at this point-

has he applied for TDIU already or has the VA sent him the TDIU form?

Berta,

He has been unemployed for about 9-years now. He is getting SSDI. He got approved for this when his leg was amputated. I believe the paperwork from the doctor to SSA stated severe PVD because of his diabetes. When I sent in my initial claim I did ask to be considered for IU. Then in March, along with a packet they sent me they also included the form for IU which I filled out and returned.

"Understanding all the med symbols and abbreviations can help a claim considerably".

I am still learning all of the abbreviations and everything I can about the codes and how the VA works.

I truely believe that because I claimed so many disabilities they probably don't know what to do with his case. My husband jokes and tells me they probably think based on his disabilities that he will drop dead any day. I hate it when he says this because once I got copies of his medical records I could not believe what all is wrong with him. I had always worked and was not with him when he went to doctor's appt's. So I only got his version and not the whole story. I don't think this was on purpose on his part, I think he only tends to hear what the doctor says "well I am going to give you this? med for this latest finding". He just does not retain anything else and/or he did not want to worry me. Also, I don't think the doctor's always told him everything they found. I have been educating myself in medical terms, symtoms, what this all means in relation to his major disabilities.

Now, I have not worked for over a year and am waiting to hear from SSA for my disability and trying to work on his VA case. Already went through our savings. It is getting tougher every day...

I wish I would have found this site before I put in our first claim to VA. I would not have claimed so many disabilities. I would have started with just a couple of the major issues and addressed the others later.

Oh well, can't go back now.

Brandy,

As per your email, yes I do work on weekends. I'm glad you were able to join. Give me a call this PM after 7 or so.

Bob Smith

Hey Bob,

Nice to hear from you. I know you've been busy. I had sent an e-mail to Tbird asking him if I could get a user name and password so that I could join.

Do you want me to call at 7 your time or mine?

• HadIt.com Elder

Arterioscelorsis is a big sencondary condition for DMII with a very strong relationship like cateracts. It is in the M-21. This is a potentially fatal complication of DMII for both probabilites of amputations and cardio-vascular disease. Very serious.