VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes And Gastro Intestinal

Rate this question

Berta

Question

While I was researching for a local vet I found this article from The Journal of Clinical Diabetes regarding diabetes and it's potential links to GERD and many other gastrointestinal disorders.

Might help someone here with a claim:

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabet...42000/pg148.htm

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

While I was researching for a local vet I found this article from The Journal of Clinical Diabetes regarding diabetes and it's potential links to GERD and many other gastrointestinal disorders.

Might help someone here with a claim:

http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabet...42000/pg148.htm

Berta,

This is good information for diabetes wondering if there GERD is related to DM. My husband is DMI and has GERD, CAD, chronic kidney failure, hypertension, hypothrodism, PVD, ED, CCHD, multiple ulcers, arteriosclerosis, RBKA, basically little or no use of left leg. I thought this GERD was going to be difficult to prove connected to DMI, but he recently went into hospital due to gall stones in bile duct between gall bladder and liver. They had to first remove the stones, then remove the gall bladder.

Brandy

Edited by Brandy

Berta,

This is good information for diabetes wondering if there GERD is related to DM. My husband is DMI and has GERD, CAD, chronic kidney failure, hypertension, hypothrodism, PVD, ED, CCHD, multiple ulcers, arteriosclerosis, RBKA, basically little or no use of left leg. I thought this GERD was going to be difficult to prove connected to DMI, but he recently went into hospital due to gall stones in bile duct between gall bladder and liver. They had to first remove the stones, then remove the gall bladder.

Brandy

(This would not show up on the most recent for the last couple of days??)

Brandy -somewhere at hadit is the VA's diabetes mellitus train letter mentioning many of the complications that diabetes can cause.

I am sure that in your husband's situation- the CAD, HBP, ED, PVD,atherosclerosis, the kidney problems and even his

gall bladder problems might well be due to his diabetes.

I am not a doctor but during the past 2 years I have found many complications can be caused by diabetes and a veteran should not hesitate to claim any of them as secondary to their diabetes.

It all takes a strong medical link but still he presents a picture of numerous disabilities that certainly are possibly due to diabetes.

The PVD- I assume you mean peripheral arterial disease?

Does this cause the loss of use of his leg?

Has it been determined to be peripheral neuropathy?

PVD and PN is due to diabetes too -in most cases.

Edited by Berta

Berta,

He is sc for DMI at 20% for the last 27 years. Well because we did not know to ask for increase or secondary conditions, when we found out I did not know about VA procedures, regs, etc. So I sent in a claim for all (about 25) disabilities. I think this was a mistake and the reason it may take longer for a rating. I have sent them hundreds of medical pages from surgeries at hospital, records from GP, surgeon, cardiologist, kidney doctor, diabetic doctor. I know that these other conditions are related to his diabetes. It causes one disability, then that disability causes another and so on. I have recently responded to their 2nd VCAA notice. They have already informed us that they plan on scheduling an exam. I assume this will be done once they process the info I recently sent to them. They seem to be accepting the conditions that typically come with DM. It was a few of the others that they questioned this time.

Brandy

Berta,

The PVD- I assume you mean peripheral arterial disease?

This is peripheral vascular disease

Does this cause the loss of use of his leg?

He had below knee amputation over 8-years ago and left leg is in bad shape. His brochial index is very low in some areas and a lot of pain. He falls down a lot. He cannot walk or stand for long.

Has it been determined to be peripheral neuropathy?

Yes.

PVD and PN is due to diabetes too -in most cases.

You are right ---PVD-peripheral vascular disease-

I went nuts over a med entry in 2003- "DVD"-

but it meant diabetic vascular disease-the VA doc tried to say I interpreted this wrong.

I reminded VA I use the same medical sources they do for abbreviations and this is how I won FTCA and DIC claims.

In 1995 I stared at an entry- "RO/CAD" for months after my husband dropped dead from undiagnosed heart disease.I finally found what it meant "rule out cardiovascular disease" which they never did.

Dr. Bash used the term PVD disease instead-but made the same point and also used a medical treatise to show it was due to my husband's undiagnosed and untreated diabetes.

Understanding all the med symbols and abbreviations can help a claim considerably.

Brandy -does he get SSA benefits for the diabetes and these complications?

I forget- is he unemployed-

If he isnt working I suggest he apply for TDIU- I just dont know how that might affect the progress of his claim at this point-

has he applied for TDIU already or has the VA sent him the TDIU form?