VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Too Late For Me?

Rate this question

Charlieg

Question

I am a USAF Gulf War Vet. Left service in 1992 and went to VA clinic for skin rash medication and stomach issues as I can remember. I had a very serious rash on my feet while in Saudi Arabia and did not go away for years. Also was rushed to Air Force hospital after coming home with stomach issues and had tests but no diagnosis. I stopped going to the Va clinic after only about 3 visits because of work. Just could not keep getting time off. Over the years I thought about checking in with the va but never seemed to have time and when I needed help I would just go to a family doctor. My va card is so old as compared to others that I've seen. I was doing some construction work in a va clinic and asked about my status and was told that they had never seen a card like mine. I've had a lot of the same symptoms that others here have, just wondering if I can still get help. Or is it too late.

My first appt. has been set up, so I'm back in the system after 22 years. My records came back from the archives. All records are there except any from the time of the gulf war. They show my wisdom teeth extraction, before gulf war and then my transfer to the guard after gulf war. No records between. I was treated for torn rotator cuff from injury during tent city erection, rashes at our compound and then stomach issues after returning. Was even treated by VA hospital in pensacola for a couple years after but no records of this. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Does yourDD 214 show Gulf War service?

Most of the Gulf War presumptive illnesses don't need Service Medical Records. It might help to show the problems while you were there, but you just need a current diagnosis, and proof you were there.

I have Southwest Asia Tour ribbon on DD-214, and I have evaluations that talk about my service in Saudi Arabia during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

You are not supposed to need a letter from a physician saying that your problems are caused by your service, but it doesn't hurt to have one. The key is a physician has to say that they cannot diagnose your problem, or diagnose you with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and/or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It also works if you have several physicians which diagnose you with different problems, because it shows that they don't know what is wrong with you, and are having trouble making a diagnosis.

Its my first appt at the va clinic here in northern ny. I met with my county va rep who got me set up and filed for disability based on what I told him but wanted a copy of my medical records which show nothing. I didn't even get my shot records. Yes my dd214 shows I was there for Desert Sheild/Storm. I do not have any diagnosis but maybe after I start going to the clinic I will get something. I have tried testosterone treatment for exhaustion but gave up after costing so much.

Edited by Charlieg

I'm not sure of your circumstances, but sometimes it quicker/easier to use a private physician for a diagnosis. I have health insurance, and was able to do it that way. I started at the VA, and after getting a bunch of BS diagnosis, because they didn't know what was wrong(and refused to admit it), I went to a private Physician. I have to drive 3 hours to get to a VA hospital for basic stuff, and 5 hours for any unusual procedures. One doc says its my spleen, one says its my gall bladder, one says its my liver, blah, blah, blah, and I finally cancelled all my appointments and said screw the VA hospital.

With my private physician, I explained the Gulf War Illness and showed him the VA website with the information. He looked over my medical records for the last 20 years, and saw the problems I was having. He did some basic testing to rule out the common causes of my symptoms, and diagnosed me. (FYI, All blood work and testing says I am a healthy 45 year old.) I am now seeing him every 6 months, he documents that I am still having symptoms. He asks if there are any new treatments I have found in my research. I tell him what i have found. He writes prescriptions for whatever we decide for treatment, and schedules another appointment for 6 months. It also helps that my doc treats several Vietnam vets, and has seen what they are going through, and is very sympathetic to veterans.