BamaCoast

Getting Health Care On A Military Base

6 posts in this topic

Should medically retired veterans be able to get health care treatment at military bases?

Edited by BamaCoast

Yes. I do.

I have many of times.

My son was medically retired and has a 100% disability rating. He did not have but 7 years in. He was refused treatment at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi MS. Can they do this. He needs to see a dentist and the VA is back up for months.

If he was medically retired, then he should get all benefits associated with a "regular" retirement. It should not matter. Keesler is a technical training Base, so they do get swamped with the students, but I do not think they can refuse to see him for medical. That being said, there is no dental benefit unless you pay for Delta Dental thru TriCare. There is "space available" dental care, but that may only be hardship and overseas locations, if I remember correctly. Since I am financially strapped, I do not have any dental coverage even though I retired after 20 years. I actually have to pay quarterly even for my TriCare, even though I was told back when I came in that I would have "free medical and dental for life" if I stayed until retirement. Sorry, not what you probably wanted to hear. You COULD push for "Space-A", but with dental covered thru the VA, they may not even allow it since he has another way to be treated. If the VA is backed up, you should be able to go outside of the VA, unless dental is somehow handled differently than other healthcare. Perhaps someone else with more experience with this will chime in and have more useful info for you.

1 person likes this

if he is 100% SC he should be able to go to any VAMC for treatment , (especially an emergency )

I am not sure about the treatment from a military base if he is not retired from the military for 20 years.

jmo

.............................Buck

Popular Forums Common VA Disabilities