• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

273%
    $4,108.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

New Diagnoses Agent Orange Exposure

Question

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been browsing this site for a few hours. I did not find answers to what I have questions for. So I am hoping someone can advise me.

My Father served in the Marine Corp In Vietnam from 7/1967 to 5/1970. It was determined that he was exposed to Agent Orange. Along with being on a registry for Camp Lejeune for water contamination.

My Father wears AFO leg braces for the Neuropathy. He was falling a lot and I had discussed with his Primary Care Dr a few years back that I felt my father had the beginning stages of Parkinson's. The Dr sent him to the Neurologist at the VA. Which they did a EMG, along with a MRI. They found that my dad had really bad Neuropathy. He could not even feel them shock him. He also had filed his claim for PTSD. Which initially they had denied, he appealed. He finally got it. But after seeing QTC Dr they tried to say my Dad was incompetent to manage his affairs. Which I had taken my Dad for 2 different evals to prove competence. So that did not go thru with the Fiduciary. My Father's conditions make it where he can not drive. He had an accident because he could not feel the brake pedal. My Dad has lived with me for the past 8 years. He manages all of his own money, medication refills, everything. He just needs help to get where he is going. Because of the physical limitations. Fast forward to 2015. After he got his claim for PTSD about 3 years ago my Dad was having chest pains. I took him to the Emergency Room where my father was found to have 2 major blockages in his heart. They did 2 Stents. There were still some more blockages they could not get to them because it was not reachable. I want to say they diagnosed him with CAD which I found VA referes to this as IHD. I believe he also has COPD I am waiting for his medical records. He has quite a few disc issues in the Cervical, Thorasic, and Lumbar areas. Along with the Siatic Nerve issues. My Dad was receiving VA transportation but since they say he no longer qualifies for this. With the new regulations. But he is unable to drive because of no feeling from the waist down.

We were in to see his Cardiologist a few months back and he asked me how my dad was. I had told him my concerns that he was falling a lot. That I cannot leave him at home alone. Because of the falls.We are with him 24/7 My dad has fallen and broken his ankle he was complete and total care for 3 months. He also fell before that and broke his toe and had a huge laceration. When I had addressed the issues a few years back with PCP, he said the Neurologist said all of this was from my Dad's Neuropathy.

I have addressed it multiple times with my Dad's PCP about the worsening of his symptoms with nothing being done. My Dad was finally diagnosed by outside Neuro with Parkinsons. The funny story is this Dr we did not know at the time had worked previously at the VA. I took my dads records into the office with me. He asked questions did the testing. He did another MRI to check for any issues that could cause this. He put my dad on some Trial medication with a follow up a few weeks later. My dad was falling at least 5- 6 times per week. Not small falls very hard ones. He had all the symptoms of Parkinsons. The medicine helped my dad in the past few months has only fallen 2 times which is a major improvement. So we cant chalk all of my dads issues up to the Degenerative Disc issue, Neuropathy. The medicine would not have worked. My dad had another EMG done with same Dr and his neuropathy is so severe. We follow up next week with him for results.

Sorry for the long winded history. I just thought it may be helpful. If they look at the new diagnosis will we have to go back for an appointment with QTC? Went to VA when we were into see PCP we told him of the new Diagnosis.. He said wow I know you had mentioned it a few times in the past. So with me mentioning that would they back date it? The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy. Which is not fun either. The VA now sends my dad his meds for the parkinsons. On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up. My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

The outside Neuro has filled out the DBQ saying he does have Parkinsons. His Motor Manifestations are Stooped Posture Moderate. Balance Impairment Severe. Bradykinesia Moderate. Loss of Automatic Movements Mild, Speech Changes Moderate. Tremor Yes Right Upper Mild. Left Upper Mild, Right Lower Not affected, Left Lower Not Affected. Muscle Rigidity Yes R Upper Moderate, L Upper Moderate, R Lower Moderate. L Lower Moderate. Depression he marked Yes and wrote PTSD. Cognitive Impairment None. Loss of sense of smell None. Sleep Disturbance Moderate. Chewing None. Urinary Problems 2-4 is marked Constipation no. Sexual Dysfunction Yes Mild . Financial Responsibility he marked dad in his judgement is competent. Then does the veterans parkinsons impact his ability to work he put Yes. Unable to walk because of Postural Instability.

My questions are 1 with him already being at 90% SC, with Unemployability making it 100%. Does he have a claim to compensation for the following Diagnosis's

Parkinsons Diagnosis.

IHD or CAD ( I will check his records and see exactly what it says)

Sleep Apnea

Severe Peripheral Neuropathy ( it says on the report Length, Dependent, Predominatly axonal peripheral neuroapthy. 2 Sensorimotor median neuropathy across the right wrist consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome. Acute C8-T1 radialculpathy on the right. Chronic L2,3,4 and S1-S2 radialculpathy on the right. Acute on Chronic L4-5 radialculpathy on right. absent responses of the lower extremity sensory nerves. In short his Neuropathy has worsened.

Hypertension

Drop Foot

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

ED ( You guys will know what that is)

My dad gets a lot of swelling as well retention of water. Which he is taking meds for.

The person down at VA we had stopped in to get the clothing allowance form. We had asked a question. He said my fathers case when he pulled it up he had no clue why he wore the AFO's we told him the Neuro had ordered them a few years back. He said well if it was correctly put in there he would have seen why. He also said that if my dad wears those. Then he should be getting more compensation. ( He briefly explained how it all worked) We have an appointment to go and talk to a rep there about my dads case. We did submit the DBQ for his Parkinsons. The Dr will fill out a DBQ for the worsening of the Neuropathy. Should I take a DBQ to the cardiologist? My dad takes blood thinners for life with the heart issue. He also gets very short of breath. But is not on O2 yet. He gets also SMC (I)

My father had applied a while back for Aid and Attendance when he broke his ankle. The PCP at VA filled out the paperwork. To date we have heard nothing. I cannot even see the claim status on the ebenefits. Nor do I see the Parkinsons claim

My Dads conditions says below that this is all service connected to Agent Orange. Will we have to go and see numerous Dr's if he files for benefits for these since there is a trail already?

The guy we spoke to at Clothing Allowance said there are some grants that will modify or add onto a home for him to have accessibility. We own our home, but it is in our name. Will my Dad still qualify for these to make things accessible for him. or do an addition of a downstairs bedroom for him? Below are his ratings.

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date diabetes mellitus, type II with diabetic nephropathy and tinea pedis 20% Service Connected

Agent Orange

02/2004

early peripheral neuropathy, left lower extremity

10% Service Connected 02/2005

early peripheral neuropathy, right lower extremity

10% Service Connected 02/2005

hypertension

0% Service Connected 02/2004

peripheral vascular disease left lower extremity

20% Service Connected 12/2008

peripheral vascular disease right lower extremity

20% Service Connected 12/2008 posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)/major depressive disorder 70% Service Connected 10/2008

Thank You for all of your help. I will honestly say that it is an honor to take care of my Father. But it is also the hardest to see his decline with his physical abilities. My Dad has always been my best friend and Hero.

Thank You to each and everyone of you for your Service and Sacrifice for our Great Nation. Welcome Home!

• Like 3
  • Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

Good Evening Everyone, I have been browsing this site for a few hours. I did not find answers to what I have questions for. So I am hoping someone can advise me. My Father served in the Mar

I think the VA needs to be aware of the older Nam veterans, because for some of us we were ok when we got out but that old Agent Orange will sure creep up on us over the years, In my opinion All veter

Robert P. Walsh Attorney 2 Michigan Avenue West Suite 301 Battle Creek, Michigan 49017 Telephone (269) 962-9693 Telecopier (269) 962-9592 E-mail: rpwalsh@sbcglobal.net ______________

Yes she still needs to claim the Parkinsons dx. Hopefully that will put him at 100 schedular or PnT and not need IU. If he has the dx of the CAD or IHD related heart issues then yes file that as well. Go to the RO and check the status of the claim for A&A or call the hotline and talk to someone at the RO for a status check. If you have NSO as POA then make an appt. go have them do a quick status check. Not sure about the home modifications but thats definitely a good question for the Special Operations when or if you go to inquire at the RO. Shoot me a message if I missed something.

• HadIt.com Elder

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy.

On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up. My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

We have an appointment to go and talk to a rep there about my dads case."

He gets also SMC (I) Is that the SMC "L" award ?

Yes, by all means, claim the Parkinsons and the IHD due to Agent Orange exposure and any other conditions you feel derive from his service.

"On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up."
If he was on NSAIDS, the VA would grant for GERD but it sounds like this caused more more then GERD.
That claim can be filed as secondary to the meds he took or under 1151 , or both ways.

My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

That is not unusual that they would kept watch on that to see if it grows.

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy"

You dad might have the basis for a FTCA case and/or a Section 1151 claim in that regard.

If they misdiagnosed him over the years, they might have caused him additional medical problems.

When a veteran has a 100% direct SC disability ((is he 100% yet for anything?) and whether they get additional SMC or not, and they can prove ,under 1151 that they also have an additional disability at 100% under 1151 , the VA pays both comps separately.

100% SC oplus 100% 1151 equals 200% in comp.

That might not be the case here but it sure looks to me that VA misdiagnosed the Parkinsons.

Did they ever give him a brain MRI?

"If they look at the new diagnosis will we have to go back for an appointment with QTC? " Probably
" Went to VA when we were into see PCP we told him of the new Diagnosis.. He said wow I know you had mentioned it a few times in the past. So with me mentioning that would they back date it?"

Only this way:

Did he ever ,in any past VA decision get a rating for the heart disease, but was denied for it?

If so under the Nehmer regulations he might get a very favorable EED ( early effective date ) for the IHD.

If he can prove, with a strong IMO from the real doctor ( outside Neuro) that he had long standing Parkinson symptoms without proper diagnosis and treatment from the VA diagnosis, with a full medical rationale based on all avaialable VA records, then yes, under a Section 1151 claim they can back date it, when they make a Section 1151 award and rating..

There is a lot here to your dad's situation and I hope others will chime in as well, to cover all the issues.

I primarily focused on the AO issues and the possible malpractice..

FTCA cases involve proving malpractice and hinge on the 2 year statute of limits.2 years from date the veteran was aware of the malpractce.
Section 1151 claims have no deadline for filing.

We have a FTCA and Section 1151 forum here with more info.

I am glad you requested a copy of his medical records from VA.

If malpractice or negligence occurred the records will reveal it.

Some malpractice is Prime facie.....obvious from the documented records, but most often ,finding it takes a thorough review however, by a real doctor, with expertise in these disabiities,

I am a survivor of a Vietnam Vet ( USMC Vietnam 65--66) who VA not only killed with lousy health care ( FTCA/ 1151 awards), but who also had 2 major undiagnosed conditions that contributed to his death, DMII and IHD.and I proved that as well.He was a VA employee, had consistent VA care, mainly for his PTSD, and an initial ER emergency, my first piece of evidence) revealed the beginning of the malpractice....that continued for the next 6 years until he died.

I didnt have an independent medical opinion. But I strongly suggest that your dad will need one and they can often be costly,if he claims 1151 and/or FTCA.

He might also need that opinion to include medical rationale for some of the other disabilities here,too..

As long as he has a heart condition that is considered IHD by VA, there should be no problem on the Parkinsons and IHD claims.

I asked about the MRI of brain to see if they ever ruled out Stroke.

DMII as well as ischemic heart disease can cause a myriad of serious secondarys, due to atherosclerosis causing clots that can affect the heart and the brain.

I imagine that is why he is on a blood thinner..

THANK YOU for helping him!

" My Dad was receiving VA transportation but since they say he no longer qualifies for this. With the new regulations. "

Do you have a copy of that letter?

Cripes I donated a significant amount of cash via the local VAMC years ago to help the DAV buy a new van for transports of vets.

Dont they have those DAV services anymore???????

Do you have any documentation from VA that says they cannot transport him anymore?.

:

Sounds like to me this veteran should seek an attorney asap the sooner the better and get medical attention ASAP

Ms Berta knows what she is talking about here, this is very serious and needs prompt attention.

There are some great hadit members here that are professional's with VA Law

Dr Bash and Attorney Bob Walsh.

I believe Ms berta has there address emails and phone numbers.

I wish your Dad the very best and pray that he gets the help he needs.

..........................Buck

I think the VA needs to be aware of the older Nam veterans, because for some of us we were ok when we got out but that old Agent Orange will sure creep up on us over the years, In my opinion All veterans that was exposed to that nasty stuff should be check periodically.

..............Buck

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Matt Birchfield
      Afternoon all.

I have been doing some research into Tinnitus and claiming secondary for Insomnia and Hypertension. I have a 10% for Tinnitus and 0% for hearing loss (submarine sonar tech), but honestly the lack of sleep is beating me down. I have not gotten a full night in several years. I usually get 5-6 hrs a night, with multiple interruptions due to what I feel is my ears ringing. 
      I did a search on the forum here for tinnitus and Insomnia but the last post was from 2012, hence the new thread.
      I was able to find 3 cases where the VA ruled in favor of the member for secondary insomnia and secondary hypertension, Case numbers: 1207104, 1522463, and 1600946. The last case was for insomnia only. I also have a study that is an Examination of the relationship between Insomnia and Tinnitus, DOI: 10.1177/1179557318781078
      My question is how do I get this all linked together? I plan on going to my primary care and taking this evidence to him (He's a retired commander) and see what his thoughts are, but I was also referred to you guys as the knowledgeable peeps. 

Thanks

Matt
    • By Pastor Kodiak
      Yesterday, I received the Judgment from the Administrative Law Judge that handled my appeal. I am using a VA-trained/approved attorney and the judge found in our favor. After 40 years of fighting with the VA. I filed my original claim the second day after my discharge. It was denied over and over again for all these years.
      I think what made a difference this time was the attorney pointing out that my VA psychologist that I'd been seeing for years, had diagnosed me and then the VA sent me to a specific non-VA psychologist for my C&P and she diagnosed me the exact same way and advised that I should receive a 100% rating for my PTSD. 
      They denied the claim (again) and when I got the decision letter explaining all the evidence they used to make their decision, they didn't include the report from my shrink or the C&P shrink. 
      So, now that service-connection is founded and they've already determined my rating (from the C&P already done), do I too have to go back to sleep for months and months? Sadly, my attorney is on vacation (of all the times to go on vacation...) and his paralegal doesn't feel comfortable telling me what to expect next...
    • By VietnamVetSis
      Has anyone had any luck with claiming Sleep Apnea as secondary to Hypertension and/or Arteriosclerotic Heart Disease ?  My husband has service connection for both hypertension and heart disease and now a current diagnosis and medical equipment for sleep apnea.  I've read where VA has approved hypertension secondary to sleep apnea and heart disease secondary to sleep apnea, but not the other way around. If anyone has an archived VA citation in this regard, or personal experience, would greatly appreciate hearing about it.    Thanks all.
    • By Shake-n-Bake
      I am still awaiting the notification letter with full details but, according to eBenefits, they have denied my claim for hypertension secondary to PTSD. The basis of my claim was not so much that the PTSD caused the hypertension (although I suspect it may have), but that my PTSD aggravates the hypertension. It looks like the decision was based on the C&P examiners opinion that my hypertension is caused by my weight, rather than my PTSD. His notes do not address the issue of the one aggravating the other. I guess I'll appeal the decision, although I'm not sure how that process works, or really what I'll be able to say, or do, differently to help my case. Below is a redacted copy of the C&P exam notes, if anyone would be so kind as to offer an opinion and/or advice. It bears noting that in his remarks, he states that in 2009 I weighed 160 pounds and my blood pressure was normal. However, I thought 140/90 was the upper threshold of normal. The evidence he is citing reflects a reading of 142/86. Does the VA use a different criteria, because 142 is not normal by generally accepted hypertension parameters. Also, he states that the BP readings used to diagnose are not present, but I did the medical records from when I was diagnosed and they show a reading of 150/110 at that time. So, I would have to say that his statement is factually untrue, based on that the evidence that I submitted.
      ---------------------------
      Hypertension Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: Shake-N-Bank Is this DBQ being completed in conjunction with a VA 21-2507, C&P Examination Request? [X] Yes [ ] No ACE and Evidence Review ----------------------- Indicate method used to obtain medical information to complete this document: [X] In-person examination Evidence Review --------------- Evidence reviewed (check all that apply): [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA) [X] CPRS 1. Diagnosis ------------ Does the Veteran now have or has he/she ever been diagnosed with hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension based on the following criteria: [X] Yes [ ] No [X] Hypertension ICD code: 00 Date of diagnosis: 2013 2. Medical history ------------------ a. Describe the history (including onset and course) of the Veteran's hypertension condition (brief summary): noted to have high blood pressure and begun on medication on 2013. Had normal pressure in 2009 and weight of 160 pounds. b. Does the Veteran's treatment plan include taking continuous medication for hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, list only those medications used for the diagnosed conditions: lisinopril c. Was the Veteran's initial diagnosis of hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension confirmed by blood pressure (BP) readings taken 2 or more times on at least 3 different days? [ ] Yes [ ] No [X] Unknown d. Does the Veteran have a history of a diastolic BP elevation to predominantly 100 or more? [ ] Yes [X] No 3. Current blood pressure readings ---------------------------------- Systolic Diastolic Blood pressure reading 1: 138 / 82 Date: 8/23/2017 Blood pressure reading 2: 122 / 78 Date: 8/23/2017 Blood pressure reading 3: 126 / 80 Date: 8/2017 Average Blood Pressure Reading: 128 / 80 4. Other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs, symptoms and scars ----------------------------------------------------------------------- a. Does the Veteran have any other pertinent physical findings, complications, conditions, signs or symptoms related to the conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [X] Yes [ ] No If yes, describe (brief summary): 8/11/2017 209 lb b. Does the Veteran have any scars (surgical or otherwise) related to any conditions or to the treatment of any conditions listed in the Diagnosis Section above? [ ] Yes [X] No c. Comments, if any: No response provided 5. Functional impact -------------------- Does the Veteran's hypertension or isolated systolic hypertension impact his or her ability to work? [ ] Yes [X] No 6. Remarks, if any ------------------ No remarks provided. **************************************************************************** Medical Opinion Disability Benefits Questionnaire Name of patient/Veteran: Shake-N-Bake ACE and Evidence Review ----------------------- Indicate method used to obtain medical information to complete this document: [X] In-person examination Evidence Review --------------- Evidence reviewed (check all that apply): [X] VA e-folder (VBMS or Virtual VA) [X] CPRS MEDICAL OPINION SUMMARY ----------------------- RESTATEMENT OF REQUESTED OPINION: a. Opinion from general remarks: relation of hypertension to PTSD b. Indicate type of exam for which opinion has been requested: hypertension TYPE OF MEDICAL OPINION PROVIDED: [ MEDICAL OPINION FOR SECONDARY SERVICE CONNECTION ] b. The condition claimed is less likely than not (less than 50% probability) proximately due to or the result of the Veteran's service connected condition. c. Rationale: The pressures used to diagnose hypertension are not available but apparently were there in 2013 when he was started on medication. He has gained nearly 40 pounds of weight since 23009. This is the most likely caused of his hypertension and the PTSD is less likely than not. ************************************************************************* /es/ FRANCIS M REMBERT MD
    • By Shake-n-Bake
      I just had two C&P exams this morning and am trying to keep a positive mindset, but the glass looks half empty to me. Maybe someone else can offer some insight on my situation.
      Since April, I have been rated at 60%; 50% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. The claims process for those went pretty smoothly, really, and I was awarded my disability ratings in very short time. I have since then filed three additional claims. My intent to file was back in April, but I submitted the claims on July 25. These three claims are for hypertension secondary to PTSD, sleep apnea secondary to PTSD and for hearing loss. Today I had my C&P exams for the hearing loss and hypertension. I have heard nothing about scheduling a C&P for the sleep apnea.
      My first exam this morning was for hypertension. I was diagnosed with hypertension, by a private doctor, about 4 years ago and have been on medication since then and am currently being treated by the VA for my hypertension. My hypertension isn't very severe, but it is outside of normal parameters and has been this way consistently for quite a few years. Even though I wasn't officially diagnosed until 2013, I have (and submitted) evidence of prior medical records that show high blood pressure readings well before my actual diagnosis. I don't think I meet the criteria for anything more than a 0% rating, but that's all I really want, or need. I believe I have bradycardia (abnormally low pulse), as a result of my high blood pressure. My blood pressure has always fluctuated and spiked in relation to my PTSD symptoms, so I certainly think the PTSD aggravates my blood pressure, but I don't feel good about my C&P exam from this morning. The doctor was one of the weirdest people I've come across at the VA, so it was hard to get a good read on him. All he did was take my blood pressure 3, or maybe 4, times, all from my right arm, while I was seated. He wanted to know when I was first diagnosed and how many times they had taken my blood pressure during the visit in which I was diagnosed. I told him it was in 2013 and, although I didn't recall how many times they took a blood pressure reading, I did remember how high it was when I was diagnosed. I tried to discuss the evidence I had submitted to support my having actually had high blood pressure before my 2013 diagnosis, but he shut me down. He said anything that I sent in with my claim wasn't his concern. All he was doing was "checking the boxes" on my blood pressure exam and someone else would look at everything that was submitted. This doesn't make sense to me. Isn't the purpose of the C&P exam to look at the evidence, as well render an opinion? I have already been diagnosed with hypertension and am receiving treatment. I'm guessing my blood pressure readings from the C&P exam are within normal parameters...that's what the medication is for. I don't understand the point of putting me through this dog and pony show, but I certainly didn't walk out of there feeling good about it.
      Next, I had my audiology exam for my hearing loss claim. I just had a audiology exam a little less than 2 months ago from a VA contractor and was subsequently issued hearing aids from the VA about a month ago. As I mentioned earlier, I already receive compensation for tinnitus, so part of me feels like the VA has already conceded that I had sufficient noise exposure in-service to cause damage, but I have also heard of people winning on tinnitus and losing on hearing loss. Since I had just recently had an audiology exam, I was only given an abbreviated C&P exam for my hearing. The audiologist stated that the contractor had not "submitted a full report", or something to that effect, so she only needed to do a partial test today. She asked me a little about my in-service noise exposure, as well as about my civilian occupations. It was over pretty quickly. I didn't feel quite as bad, or confused about that one as the hypertension C&P, but both of them seemed rushed and indifferent. 
      When I got home, I logged in to eBenefits to check on something unrelated and decided to look at my claim status. It had gone from Gathering Evidence to Preparation for Decision, since the last time I had checked on it. How could it be in Preparation for Decision? Mind you, I just had two C&P exams a couple of hours before. There is no way those reports had been sent in and considered already, so it had to have moved to Preparation for Decision a day, or more ago. Since I have not been scheduled for a C&P exam for my SA secondary to PTSD, I suspect now that they don't plan to give me an exam for the sleep apnea. The fact that they'd already moved my claim to Preparation for Decision before my exams leaves me with the impression that my claims are doomed to denial. Realistically, both the hypertension and hearing loss should each be rated at 0%, so that won't get me an increase in disability pay anyway, but a positive decision on the SA would. I also need the 0% ones, though, because of their relationship to other problems I have.
      I'm a little confused by all of this and am certainly not feeling hopeful about my prospects at this point. Am I jumping to conclusion prematurely, or am I making a reasonable conclusion that things aren't going my way? It's been less than 30 days since my claims were filed and it's already been moved to Preparation for Decision before my C&P exams. I don't know what that means, but it doesn't seem good.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 16 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
        • Thanks
      • 53 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines