VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Diagnoses Agent Orange Exposure

Rate this question

SprayedandBetrayed

Question

Good Evening Everyone,

I have been browsing this site for a few hours. I did not find answers to what I have questions for. So I am hoping someone can advise me.

My Father served in the Marine Corp In Vietnam from 7/1967 to 5/1970. It was determined that he was exposed to Agent Orange. Along with being on a registry for Camp Lejeune for water contamination.

My Father wears AFO leg braces for the Neuropathy. He was falling a lot and I had discussed with his Primary Care Dr a few years back that I felt my father had the beginning stages of Parkinson's. The Dr sent him to the Neurologist at the VA. Which they did a EMG, along with a MRI. They found that my dad had really bad Neuropathy. He could not even feel them shock him. He also had filed his claim for PTSD. Which initially they had denied, he appealed. He finally got it. But after seeing QTC Dr they tried to say my Dad was incompetent to manage his affairs. Which I had taken my Dad for 2 different evals to prove competence. So that did not go thru with the Fiduciary. My Father's conditions make it where he can not drive. He had an accident because he could not feel the brake pedal. My Dad has lived with me for the past 8 years. He manages all of his own money, medication refills, everything. He just needs help to get where he is going. Because of the physical limitations. Fast forward to 2015. After he got his claim for PTSD about 3 years ago my Dad was having chest pains. I took him to the Emergency Room where my father was found to have 2 major blockages in his heart. They did 2 Stents. There were still some more blockages they could not get to them because it was not reachable. I want to say they diagnosed him with CAD which I found VA referes to this as IHD. I believe he also has COPD I am waiting for his medical records. He has quite a few disc issues in the Cervical, Thorasic, and Lumbar areas. Along with the Siatic Nerve issues. My Dad was receiving VA transportation but since they say he no longer qualifies for this. With the new regulations. But he is unable to drive because of no feeling from the waist down.

We were in to see his Cardiologist a few months back and he asked me how my dad was. I had told him my concerns that he was falling a lot. That I cannot leave him at home alone. Because of the falls.We are with him 24/7 My dad has fallen and broken his ankle he was complete and total care for 3 months. He also fell before that and broke his toe and had a huge laceration. When I had addressed the issues a few years back with PCP, he said the Neurologist said all of this was from my Dad's Neuropathy.

I have addressed it multiple times with my Dad's PCP about the worsening of his symptoms with nothing being done. My Dad was finally diagnosed by outside Neuro with Parkinsons. The funny story is this Dr we did not know at the time had worked previously at the VA. I took my dads records into the office with me. He asked questions did the testing. He did another MRI to check for any issues that could cause this. He put my dad on some Trial medication with a follow up a few weeks later. My dad was falling at least 5- 6 times per week. Not small falls very hard ones. He had all the symptoms of Parkinsons. The medicine helped my dad in the past few months has only fallen 2 times which is a major improvement. So we cant chalk all of my dads issues up to the Degenerative Disc issue, Neuropathy. The medicine would not have worked. My dad had another EMG done with same Dr and his neuropathy is so severe. We follow up next week with him for results.

Sorry for the long winded history. I just thought it may be helpful. If they look at the new diagnosis will we have to go back for an appointment with QTC? Went to VA when we were into see PCP we told him of the new Diagnosis.. He said wow I know you had mentioned it a few times in the past. So with me mentioning that would they back date it? The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy. Which is not fun either. The VA now sends my dad his meds for the parkinsons. On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up. My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

The outside Neuro has filled out the DBQ saying he does have Parkinsons. His Motor Manifestations are Stooped Posture Moderate. Balance Impairment Severe. Bradykinesia Moderate. Loss of Automatic Movements Mild, Speech Changes Moderate. Tremor Yes Right Upper Mild. Left Upper Mild, Right Lower Not affected, Left Lower Not Affected. Muscle Rigidity Yes R Upper Moderate, L Upper Moderate, R Lower Moderate. L Lower Moderate. Depression he marked Yes and wrote PTSD. Cognitive Impairment None. Loss of sense of smell None. Sleep Disturbance Moderate. Chewing None. Urinary Problems 2-4 is marked Constipation no. Sexual Dysfunction Yes Mild . Financial Responsibility he marked dad in his judgement is competent. Then does the veterans parkinsons impact his ability to work he put Yes. Unable to walk because of Postural Instability.

My questions are 1 with him already being at 90% SC, with Unemployability making it 100%. Does he have a claim to compensation for the following Diagnosis's

Parkinsons Diagnosis.

IHD or CAD ( I will check his records and see exactly what it says)

Sleep Apnea

Severe Peripheral Neuropathy ( it says on the report Length, Dependent, Predominatly axonal peripheral neuroapthy. 2 Sensorimotor median neuropathy across the right wrist consistent with carpal tunnel syndrome. Acute C8-T1 radialculpathy on the right. Chronic L2,3,4 and S1-S2 radialculpathy on the right. Acute on Chronic L4-5 radialculpathy on right. absent responses of the lower extremity sensory nerves. In short his Neuropathy has worsened.

Hypertension

Drop Foot

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm

ED ( You guys will know what that is)

My dad gets a lot of swelling as well retention of water. Which he is taking meds for.

The person down at VA we had stopped in to get the clothing allowance form. We had asked a question. He said my fathers case when he pulled it up he had no clue why he wore the AFO's we told him the Neuro had ordered them a few years back. He said well if it was correctly put in there he would have seen why. He also said that if my dad wears those. Then he should be getting more compensation. ( He briefly explained how it all worked) We have an appointment to go and talk to a rep there about my dads case. We did submit the DBQ for his Parkinsons. The Dr will fill out a DBQ for the worsening of the Neuropathy. Should I take a DBQ to the cardiologist? My dad takes blood thinners for life with the heart issue. He also gets very short of breath. But is not on O2 yet. He gets also SMC (I)

My father had applied a while back for Aid and Attendance when he broke his ankle. The PCP at VA filled out the paperwork. To date we have heard nothing. I cannot even see the claim status on the ebenefits. Nor do I see the Parkinsons claim

My Dads conditions says below that this is all service connected to Agent Orange. Will we have to go and see numerous Dr's if he files for benefits for these since there is a trail already?

The guy we spoke to at Clothing Allowance said there are some grants that will modify or add onto a home for him to have accessibility. We own our home, but it is in our name. Will my Dad still qualify for these to make things accessible for him. or do an addition of a downstairs bedroom for him? Below are his ratings.

Disability Rating Decision Related To Effective Date diabetes mellitus, type II with diabetic nephropathy and tinea pedis 20% Service Connected

Agent Orange

02/2004

early peripheral neuropathy, left lower extremity

10% Service Connected 02/2005

early peripheral neuropathy, right lower extremity

10% Service Connected 02/2005

hypertension

0% Service Connected 02/2004

peripheral vascular disease left lower extremity

20% Service Connected 12/2008

peripheral vascular disease right lower extremity

20% Service Connected 12/2008 posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)/major depressive disorder 70% Service Connected 10/2008

Thank You for all of your help. I will honestly say that it is an honor to take care of my Father. But it is also the hardest to see his decline with his physical abilities. My Dad has always been my best friend and Hero.

Thank You to each and everyone of you for your Service and Sacrifice for our Great Nation. Welcome Home!

Yes she still needs to claim the Parkinsons dx. Hopefully that will put him at 100 schedular or PnT and not need IU. If he has the dx of the CAD or IHD related heart issues then yes file that as well. Go to the RO and check the status of the claim for A&A or call the hotline and talk to someone at the RO for a status check. If you have NSO as POA then make an appt. go have them do a quick status check. Not sure about the home modifications but thats definitely a good question for the Special Operations when or if you go to inquire at the RO. Shoot me a message if I missed something.

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy.

On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up. My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

We have an appointment to go and talk to a rep there about my dads case."

He gets also SMC (I) Is that the SMC "L" award ?

Yes, by all means, claim the Parkinsons and the IHD due to Agent Orange exposure and any other conditions you feel derive from his service.

"On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up."
If he was on NSAIDS, the VA would grant for GERD but it sounds like this caused more more then GERD.
That claim can be filed as secondary to the meds he took or under 1151 , or both ways.

My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

That is not unusual that they would kept watch on that to see if it grows.

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy"

You dad might have the basis for a FTCA case and/or a Section 1151 claim in that regard.

If they misdiagnosed him over the years, they might have caused him additional medical problems.

When a veteran has a 100% direct SC disability ((is he 100% yet for anything?) and whether they get additional SMC or not, and they can prove ,under 1151 that they also have an additional disability at 100% under 1151 , the VA pays both comps separately.

100% SC oplus 100% 1151 equals 200% in comp.

That might not be the case here but it sure looks to me that VA misdiagnosed the Parkinsons.

Did they ever give him a brain MRI?

"If they look at the new diagnosis will we have to go back for an appointment with QTC? " Probably
" Went to VA when we were into see PCP we told him of the new Diagnosis.. He said wow I know you had mentioned it a few times in the past. So with me mentioning that would they back date it?"

Only this way:

Did he ever ,in any past VA decision get a rating for the heart disease, but was denied for it?

If so under the Nehmer regulations he might get a very favorable EED ( early effective date ) for the IHD.

If he can prove, with a strong IMO from the real doctor ( outside Neuro) that he had long standing Parkinson symptoms without proper diagnosis and treatment from the VA diagnosis, with a full medical rationale based on all avaialable VA records, then yes, under a Section 1151 claim they can back date it, when they make a Section 1151 award and rating..

There is a lot here to your dad's situation and I hope others will chime in as well, to cover all the issues.

I primarily focused on the AO issues and the possible malpractice..

FTCA cases involve proving malpractice and hinge on the 2 year statute of limits.2 years from date the veteran was aware of the malpractce.
Section 1151 claims have no deadline for filing.

We have a FTCA and Section 1151 forum here with more info.

I am glad you requested a copy of his medical records from VA.

If malpractice or negligence occurred the records will reveal it.

Some malpractice is Prime facie.....obvious from the documented records, but most often ,finding it takes a thorough review however, by a real doctor, with expertise in these disabiities,

I am a survivor of a Vietnam Vet ( USMC Vietnam 65--66) who VA not only killed with lousy health care ( FTCA/ 1151 awards), but who also had 2 major undiagnosed conditions that contributed to his death, DMII and IHD.and I proved that as well.He was a VA employee, had consistent VA care, mainly for his PTSD, and an initial ER emergency, my first piece of evidence) revealed the beginning of the malpractice....that continued for the next 6 years until he died.

I didnt have an independent medical opinion. But I strongly suggest that your dad will need one and they can often be costly,if he claims 1151 and/or FTCA.

He might also need that opinion to include medical rationale for some of the other disabilities here,too..

As long as he has a heart condition that is considered IHD by VA, there should be no problem on the Parkinsons and IHD claims.

I asked about the MRI of brain to see if they ever ruled out Stroke.

DMII as well as ischemic heart disease can cause a myriad of serious secondarys, due to atherosclerosis causing clots that can affect the heart and the brain.

I imagine that is why he is on a blood thinner..

THANK YOU for helping him!

" My Dad was receiving VA transportation but since they say he no longer qualifies for this. With the new regulations. "

Do you have a copy of that letter?

Cripes I donated a significant amount of cash via the local VAMC years ago to help the DAV buy a new van for transports of vets.

Dont they have those DAV services anymore???????

Do you have any documentation from VA that says they cannot transport him anymore?.

:

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like to me this veteran should seek an attorney asap the sooner the better and get medical attention ASAP

Ms Berta knows what she is talking about here, this is very serious and needs prompt attention.

There are some great hadit members here that are professional's with VA Law

Dr Bash and Attorney Bob Walsh.

I believe Ms berta has there address emails and phone numbers.

I wish your Dad the very best and pray that he gets the help he needs.

..........................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the VA needs to be aware of the older Nam veterans, because for some of us we were ok when we got out but that old Agent Orange will sure creep up on us over the years, In my opinion All veterans that was exposed to that nasty stuff should be check periodically.

..............Buck

Yes she still needs to claim the Parkinsons dx. Hopefully that will put him at 100 schedular or PnT and not need IU. If he has the dx of the CAD or IHD related heart issues then yes file that as well. Go to the RO and check the status of the claim for A&A or call the hotline and talk to someone at the RO for a status check. If you have NSO as POA then make an appt. go have them do a quick status check. Not sure about the home modifications but thats definitely a good question for the Special Operations when or if you go to inquire at the RO. Shoot me a message if I missed something.

What does this mean? Hopefully that will put him at 100 schedular or PnT and not need IU. Sorry new to all of this.

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy. The outside Neurologist my dad has been seeing who made a Diagnosis in April of this year. When I inquired in his opinion ( Which I know is just an opinion) How long my father has had the Parkinsons. He said he has had these symptoms for along time. He said to go thru my Dads records and look at anything that said falls, or me bringing up the Tremors etc. The funny thing is I know 100% I told the PCP at VA that I thought my Dad had Parkinsons Back in 2011. We had an EMG done at VA on the records it says Increase Falls. . They did a MRI of the C spine and Lumbar on 4/2011. I went thru my Dads records and he has a Neurology Progress Note from 2011. In it states for Clinical History Brisk Reflexes, Weakness in Legs, Noted Fall Frequently. Then they ordered for my Dad to wear the AFO Braces/ Power Wheel Chair.

I also mentioned in numerous records about the falls, unstable gait, hand tremor. I asked back in 2013 his Psychiatrist for the PTSD at VA if my Dad's medications could cause some of these issues. He stated no. Also in that same progress note it says that I mentioned to him about my dad having these tremors for a year. Needing more assistance with ADL's

On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up. My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

We have an appointment to go and talk to a rep there about my dads case." We will be meeting with my Dad's SO to go over everything.

He gets also SMC (I) Is that the SMC "L" award ? It says its SMc S1 it is for PTSD/ and all the Diabetic issues.

Yes, by all means, claim the Parkinsons and the IHD due to Agent Orange exposure and any other conditions you feel derive from his service. The more I dig the more I seem to find. I dont even know where to begin with these forms. I basically printing out anything that I think goes with my Dad's conditions and taking them to the Neurologist, and the Cardio, Gastro Dr' and asking them to fill them out. The issue is it isnt cheap.

"On top of all of this my dad also had a Upper GI bleed, from the medications VA had him on. It tore his stomach up."

If he was on NSAIDS, the VA would grant for GERD but it sounds like this caused more more then GERD. The NSAID caused Gastric Ulcers Upon looking thru some medical records it is also noted he has a Hiatal Hernia. He had 3 blood transfusions because of the bleed. He will be on medication for life to prevent this from happening again. Also he is anemic from this as well. We follow up with an Outside Gastroenterologist in 2 months.

His file says in the active problem list GERD it was entered in 2006.

That claim can be filed as secondary to the meds he took or under 1151 , or both ways. What is this form?

My dad has an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm as well. They have done nothing for it. Just watching it.

That is not unusual that they would kept watch on that to see if it grows. This was discovered on 10/08

"The Neuro said my dad has had the symptoms all along but the VA said it was the Neuropathy" The outside Neurologist said I can trace the falls, the noted weakness etc back quite a few years. Just going thru his VA Medical Records. The only record which is actually really stating the tremors is the Psych Progress note. All the others talk about falls, leg weakness. I know I mentioned to the PCP numerous times about the tremors. He said that my Dad does not have Parkinsons back in 2013 because he doesnt have the resting tremors. Upon talking to the Outside Neuro that is not a 100% indicator. Its a very high indicator. He said that because the Neuropathy is so severe it is hard to separate which is Parkinsons, which is the Neuropathy. This was at our initial consult. Dad had 2 of the 4 markers of Parkinsons 100%. The other 2 because of the Neuropathy it was impossible to separate them. So ordered the MRI, and started a low dose of medication for Parkinsons. He was not sure how my father would handle it because of his PTSD it could cause more flashbacks etc. We followed up 2 wks later and he upped the dose. Said that my Dad was not as stiff and rigid. We told him the falls were decreased since starting the Meds. He then diagnosed he had Parkinsons. If it was only Neuropathy then it would not have helped. Then when we talked to PCP at the last visit Dad mentioned about the Parkinsons diagnosis and that he was on new meds. He said I know we talked about this before, your dad didnt have the resting tremor. I suggested Medication but your dad said no. HE NEVER ONCE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MEDS for this. Because according to him and the VA Neuro he didnt have Parkinsons. Then he noted I see it now the hand tremors.

You dad might have the basis for a FTCA case and/or a Section 1151 claim in that regard. What are these? I am gathering my fathers records from VA, and Outside VA/

If they misdiagnosed him over the years, they might have caused him additional medical problems. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS <-------- The numerous falls, the fall which resulted in Ankle Fracture, you name it.

When a veteran has a 100% direct SC disability ((is he 100% yet for anything?) and whether they get additional SMC or not, and they can prove ,under 1151 that they also have an additional disability at 100% under 1151 , the VA pays both comps separately. How does this work? Break down of his stuff.

Diabetes type 2 with Diabetic Neuropathy and Tinea Pedis 20% SC. Related to Agent Orange. ED 2004 Then it has this little arrows which go down to the following kind of connecting them back to the main one ED ( effective Date)

Early Peripheral Neuropathy Lower Left 10% SC ED 2004

Early Peripheral Neuropathy Lower Right 10% SC ED 2004

Hypertension 0% SC ED 2004

Peripheral Vascular Disease Left Lower 20% SC ED 2008

Peripheral Vascular Disease Lower Right 20% SC ED 2008

PTSD 70% SC ED 2008

SMC S1 That the Diabetic stuff is 60% ( This has worsened he cannot feel from the Waist Down. Elbows Down he cannot open jars, button things etc) There is no SC about Upper Extremities. So in total he is 90% with All of that. They are giving him 100% for both because of the Unemployability. He is considered Permanently Disabled due to SC Disabilities.

100% SC oplus 100% 1151 equals 200% in comp.

That might not be the case here but it sure looks to me that VA misdiagnosed the Parkinsons. I am pretty sure of this too.

Did they ever give him a brain MRI? Yes it stated indication of Early Memory Impairment, Progressive Unstable Gait, and Falling. ( Dad has no issues with his memory)

"If they look at the new diagnosis will we have to go back for an appointment with QTC? " Probably The downside to this is always they try to say they cant handle their affairs. So it looks like we will again go and get independent competency Evals. My Dad has had a DPOA and Healthcare DPOA drawn up and on file for many years. I will however not take away my fathers right to remain independent. He has lost his physical independence. But he is all there mentally. I believe that until the time comes that he cannot manage his things. He should have the right to handle his own affairs. I go with him to appointments or my husband. Because he cannot drive due to his physical conditions.. He needs assistance if he has to go to the bathroom etc.

" Went to VA when we were into see PCP we told him of the new Diagnosis.. He said wow I know you had mentioned it a few times in the past. So with me mentioning that would they back date it?"

Only this way:

Did he ever ,in any past VA decision get a rating for the heart disease, but was denied for it? No we never knew that the Heart Disease was linked to AO. So he never filed a claim for it. You know they will never put the pieces together for you and say hey this was or could have been caused by your AO exposure. But there are numerous records where it shows some CAD before my dad was having issues.

If so under the Nehmer regulations he might get a very favorable EED ( early effective date ) for the IHD.

If he can prove, with a strong IMO from the real doctor ( outside Neuro) that he had long standing Parkinson symptoms without proper diagnosis and treatment from the VA diagnosis, with a full medical rationale based on all avaialable VA records, then yes, under a Section 1151 claim they can back date it, when they make a Section 1151 award and rating.. What does one need to do this. Is there a special form? He filled out the Parkinsons DBQ for my father and put the date of Diagnosis as 2015. Because he never had a diagnosis before that. I took the records my dad got from VA for him to see. He looked at them and said see you were saying things here in this. They chalked it up to the Neuropathy and some disc issues. They never investigated further. Which they should have.

There is a lot here to your dad's situation and I hope others will chime in as well, to cover all the issues. Me too

Here are other issues in his Medical Records in the Problems List

​Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage 2015. He was on prescribed NSAIDS from VA which caused the Upper GI bleed. 3 transfusions later, now a lifetime prescription med, as well as Iron. Because of Anemia. GI dr said medication caused this. He had in his Problems list GERD in 2006.

Parkinsonian Features 2015

Bells Palsy 2013

Ankle Fx 2013

Seborretic Dermatitis 2013

IHD 2012

Cervical Spinal Stenosis 2011

Vit D Deficiency 2011

Sleep Apnea 2011

Leg Pain 2010

Shoulder Pain 2010

Hypertension 2006

Chronic Low Back Pain 2006

I primarily focused on the AO issues and the possible malpractice.. I guess the upside to this is it is noted about the AO and he has SC issues linked. Also going thru the records there is a lot of items there just from the VA. Showing falls, weakness etc.

FTCA cases involve proving malpractice and hinge on the 2 year statute of limits.2 years from date the veteran was aware of the malpractce.

Section 1151 claims have no deadline for filing. What is FTCA The sad part is that if they would have made the connection or at lease looked further. I feel like my dad could have had more physical independence longer then what he did. No one likes to tell their parent they can no longer drive. I think that was the hardest thing I have ever said to him.

We have a FTCA and Section 1151 forum here with more info. I will look into these. ( I have been going thru records since about 5pm yesterday until now . Staying up until 430 am and back up at 7) I still have quite a bit to go thru.

I am glad you requested a copy of his medical records from VA. Dad got the recent ones when he was down there. We then downloaded all the rest from the MyhealhyVet site.

If malpractice or negligence occurred the records will reveal it.

Some malpractice is Prime facie.....obvious from the documented records, but most often ,finding it takes a thorough review however, by a real doctor, with expertise in these disabiities, I have found quite a bit of proof. I wonder where one would go and find a Dr for this.

I am a survivor of a Vietnam Vet ( USMC Vietnam 65--66) who VA not only killed with lousy health care ( FTCA/ 1151 awards),( I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with the healthcare. My son is a Boy Scout he actually wrote to our Senator about the crappy care of the VAMC toward the vets. Along with how rude the staff is. We have been down there on occasions where they are talking about their party life, while vets are standing in line to check in. Numerous times my dads appointments have been cancelled and they have my cell number as well as my dads. We have to leave 2 to 3 hours before his appointment to get parking. Because the parking sucks. He also wrote about the transporation denial and no one not being able to tell us why my dad doesnt qualify. ) but who also had 2 major undiagnosed conditions that contributed to his death, DMII ( not sure what this is) and IHD.and I proved that as well.He was a VA employee, had consistent VA care, mainly for his PTSD, and an initial ER emergency, my first piece of evidence) revealed the beginning of the malpractice....that continued for the next 6 years until he died. ( I cannot begin to imagine what a rough road that was. Did you end up having to get an outside Lawyer?)

I didnt have an independent medical opinion. But I strongly suggest that your dad will need one and they can often be costly,if he claims 1151 and/or FTCA. I really hope we dont have to go this route. Ultimately that decision is up to my dad. I can only support him in whatever he chooses to do.

He might also need that opinion to include medical rationale for some of the other disabilities here,too.. Where can I find a Dr who does these type of things.

As long as he has a heart condition that is considered IHD by VA, there should be no problem on the Parkinsons and IHD claims. The IHD was noted in his Problem list in 2012. They noted Parkinsonian Features in 2015. Last PCP appt.

I asked about the MRI of brain to see if they ever ruled out Stroke. Yes they ruled out a stroke. However my dad had Bells Palsy in 2013.

DMII as well as ischemic heart disease can cause a myriad of serious secondarys, due to atherosclerosis causing clots that can affect the heart and the brain. Yes

I imagine that is why he is on a blood thinner.. He is on a blood thinner since the Cardiac Stents. 2012

THANK YOU for helping him! My Dad is my hero. He is the most kindest person you can ever meet. Having him live with us gives my children the ability to know what a great man he was. I remember marching around in his uniform with his hat on as a little girl saluting him. I will always cherish the memories I have of him and the new ones we will make together. There is not a battle I would not fight for him. Its almost as if anything you ask VA for to help him like you have to beg them for it. Then they wonder why veterans are severely depressed. No one imagines being in their 60's and needing help, or not being able to drive.

" My Dad was receiving VA transportation but since they say he no longer qualifies for this. With the new regulations. " I will try to see if I can find it. Everytime he has a new transportation request submitted. Which was every 3 to 6 months I believe. He would always get denied. he would then appeal and it would go thru. This last few times he has appealed. they said he did not have a life threatening condition which he needed it. Well you can imagine that they bring ppl here and pay for it from another state which is a 2.5 hour drive without traffic. But they cant pick my dad up who is 30 miles round trip? My dad asked them to show him what the criteria is they never have been able to show it. He then went and spoke to the person who approves or denies. That person told him his conditions were not life threatening. The sad part is I would tell my dad to not burden the transportation system lets get his appointments all on one day. Not where he was going multiple times a week every week. The only time he did not have everything on one day. Was if it was a test he had no control of.

Do you have a copy of that letter? I will look for it. But the criteria no never got it. They would not send it.

Cripes I donated a significant amount of cash via the local VAMC years ago to help the DAV buy a new van for transports of vets. They have 1 handicapped van for ppl in wheelchairs, or scooters for a major city.

Dont they have those DAV services anymore??????? Out of a couple of Vehicles they have 1 with wheelchair/ scooter accessability.

Do you have any documentation from VA that says they cannot transport him anymore?. Will look for this.