VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Obstructive Sleep Apnea Secondary To Sinusitis

Rate this question

calgon

Question

Hello Vets and Vet supporters, I have the subjected claim currently in the final stages of completion.

I received an increase for my sinusitis and allergic rhinitis service connections recently and the C and P examiner opinned:

"Veteran also suffers from Obstructive Sleep Apnea. His Service Connected Allergic Rhinitis /Chronic Sinusitis probably contributes or aggravates this.

My question to the group is whether you feel that statement can be considered a Nexus for a connection between the two? I had an ACE C and P for the subjected claim but the examiner did not provide an opinion. I am confused as to why an opinion was not provided. With that being said, do you think that opinion from a previous C and P exam will hold enough weight to justify granting secondary service connection for OSA?

Everyone have a safe 4th of July holiday weekend!

Chuck

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Sleep apnea occurs when the airway in the back of the tongue becomes closed. Having closed sinuses is no fun at all, but the lower airway is what matters for SA. The logic of this could be related to your physician's opinion against SC. The CPAP machine helps keep the lower airway open, as long as I don't end up removing it at when I am asleep.

However, if it is in your service treatment records or within a year after you got out, it should hopefully be sufficient. It might be worth looking up some case studies to find a relationship between sinus issues and SA. Not sure if it will help, but it could help convince your doc to opine 50/50.

I have been dealing with constant sinus infections for years. I know I have several treatment records in my SMR for sinus infections. Between the aircraft exhaust and sleep issues it's no wonder that I ever really slept at all.

Some good news on the sleep apnea front. I have an independent doctor writing a nexus letter for me and the VA neurologist also agreed to write a nexus letter for me linking OSA to allergic rhinitis. My issue now is that I was denied in 2005 without ever being tested for OSA by the VA and again in 2013 based on the previous denial in 2005. Fingers crossed that the two nexus letters will do the trick and get me the award, but is there anything that I can do about the date being retroactive to 2005? I really feel like the VA dropped the ball on C&P since I claimed it, but was never tested. Appreciate the assistance.

Congratulations on geting the nexus letters!

Not sure about retro, but it is worth a shot!

As long as you kept your claim alive, you may be in good shape. However, it never hurts to send them a separate request detailing the potential effective dates. It would help ensure that it does not get overlooked. Even if they do overlook it, you can still go back and request it. In my opinion, it is better to get everything handled sooner than later.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use