VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

80% Success, Have A Few Questions With Award Letter

Rate this topic

bluelotus

The July 1, 2015 effective date is peculiar. Did you have a C and P exam on that date?

Your effective date is the later of the date you applied or the date the doc said you were disabled with some exceptions, such as if you just got out of the service.

You may be eligible for more retro (an earlier effective date) if July 1, 2015 does not fit either of those.

No exam on that date...I originally applied back sometime in 2014 and did not have my divorce decree so I put it on hold...Then, in January 2015 I finally got to where I was going after spending over half a year homeless and also bouncing from address to address. That's what I was a little confused by, Bronc. When I look at my disabilities, it also has some of them saying 2014 and some of them 2015 but I was under the impression that I would be retro'ed from January of 2015 for 80%. What is ya'll's opinion I could get TDIU? I haven't really worked in over 5 years, some occasionally working for day labor, other than that, I did have two jobs but they were both less than 5 months after calling in alot due to my depression.

Thanks Eagle & Kelly!!!! I'm super excited, ready for August to get here already, lol. I need to buy a truck with my retro!

Edited by bluelotus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, how would I go about applying after receiving award letter? Would that push anything back with other disabilities? I have a few things that were deferred and would rather have some money coming in than having to wait another 3 months..Thanks everyone!

Congrats on the good news, and that pay as stated above is based on 80% VA, and not permanent. Remember that once you are granted SC, you can always submit for an increase if a condition gets worse, or IU if you feel that the Disabilities keep you from working. Remember that if you have been working more then a few hours here In there, it will be harder to get IU. Also you can apply for SSDI anytime. Good luck and God Bless

As far as I know there is no "hold" for your claims, once you apply, other than it takes VA forever. If the VA asked you for evidence, and you did not submit it timely, then your claim can be denied or delayed, yes. If you "applied" in 2014, even if you did not have all the evidence, your effective date should be 2014 UNLESS the doc said you did not become disabled until 2015.

Your effective date, is the later of the date you applied or the date the doc said you were disabled. There are some exceptions to this. The July 1, effective date is very suspect, and it sounds like you should appeal the claim, disputing the effective date.

You can apply for benefits, individually, at different dates, so the effective date can vary from issue to issue.

Edited by broncovet

Congrats...I had some of the same questions and awaiting the retro. Mine was laid out the same way as your are reporting and mine actually starts back to 2013. I think the cola aspect of this is very confusing as well but once you start getting paid...it should get sorted out. I had a couple of CP Exams on the same week that I revived my 80% award so things may be changing over the next couple of weeks. Anyway, just hang in there and I think it will get sorted out for you. I've heard that some of the retro payments are taking up to 2 or 3 months to sort out.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use