VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible To Have Private Dr Do Ime/imo?

Rate this question

SprayedandBetrayed

Question

Hello Everyone,

I had wanted to know if anyone has successfully had their own private Dr do an IME or IMO? My father's Neurologist has experience with the VA. He was a Neuro there for sometime. We have to go back this week for the results of my Father's EMG. But he is also seeing my Dad for Parkinson's. I have been scouring over my Dad's medical records. I have found many issues within them. I had another post in one of the other forums which explains it all. My Dad is requesting the records from VAMC since he was first evaluated for Agent Orange exposure.

I wanted to ask the Dr if he would do an IME/or IMO since he has experience in this field, also with the VA. I am also having my Father's outside medical records printed up. He has a lot!!!!!! from falls, heart issues. I do have the Discharge summaries, saying what he was treated for. But would like to get the most important records.

Here is a link to the original post

Also he will be filing to get his file of claims from the VA as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what my VSO rep provided.

The Nexus Letter
To win an award of a disability benefit, you must meet 3 criteria:
1. You have to show eligibility of your military service.
2. You must have a current medical diagnosis of a condition or a disability.
3. You must be able to provide evidence that the medical diagnosed condition had its origin
during the time of your military service, or if the condition was preexisting, that it was
aggravated by your military service.
In many cases, the connection of an event that happened while you were on active duty to a
diagnosed condition today may be tenuous at best.
For the purposes of this example, let's consider a back injury.
You may have hurt your back in some fashion while serving your country. That was in 1970 and
you went on sick call. Your sore back was diagnosed as a "pulled muscle" or something similar
and you were given some IBU Profen and sent on your way to light duty for 3 days.
The back was progressively more painful so you were back on sick call a week later. This time
an x-ray was ordered and you were given some stronger pain pills and your light duty was
increased to a restricted duty for a month with orders of no lifting, no PT and so on.
The military culture demands that we don't complain of our "minor" aches and pains. The team
depends on each member being ready to complete the mission and the mission is all that counts.
From day one we're trained that complaints of pain will bring about scorn from superiors and
fellow soldiers will know that they have to carry your load as well as their own.
"Pain", we learn, "is weakness leaving your body."
Your civilian career wasn't as physical as the military and during the years since your discharge
you've had chronic, low back pain but it hasn't required much treatment...until now. In the last
year you've had to seek more intensive medical care and finally you had an MRI. The MRI study
shows numerous issues with discs and nerves and you realize that your old service injury is here
to haunt you.
You file for service connected disability compensation, you have a C & P exam and about a year
later you have a denial letter. The VA tells you that although you had complaints during your
service that your condition today is new and unrelated to those old problems.
Now what?
The nexus letter is the key to overturning the denial. Nexus is defined as "the means of
connection between things linked in series."
The task you face now is to seek an expert physician who will review your complete medical
records and write a letter stating that it it his or her opinion that your injury (condition) today is
related to the military service.
The nexus letter should follow a similar format to all letters that you use to communicate to VA.
It may be addressed directly to you or in a "To Whom It May Concern" style. If the physician is
willing to provide you with a current curriculum vitae (a resume) that will support the physician's
expertise.
The nexus letter should follow the standard business format we always use when writing to the
VA. This template below may be used as a beginning for your letter.
Doctor's Letter Head
Date:
Subject: Medical history of Mr. Veteran
Reference: C-File # and/or Social Security Number
To the Department of Veterans Affairs:
I am the primary care provider for Mr. Veteran. In my capacity as a primary care provider, I
have cared for Mr. Veteran since 01/07/20xx.
While I've provided care for Mr. Veteran, I've become familiar with his active duty medical
history from 07/24/19xx to 08/07/19xx and from VA medical records from 19xx to present, past
and present ailments and I've reviewed pertinent parts of his military record that document his
injury, disease and clinical conditions related to the events that occurred.
I am aware that Mr. Veteran was injured during his active duty military service on or about 1981
in Fort Army while (events description, time and place).
A primary condition the veteran suffers is Lumbar Paravertebral Myositis (an Inflammatory
Myopathy) and an L4-L5, disc desiccation and disc narrowing. MRI reports note sacralization of
the L 5 representing a developmental abnormality and also that paraspinal muscle spasm is
suggested.
Further noted are mild thoracolumbar dextroscoliosis as well as mild spondylosis and
degenerative endplate changes. Schmorl's nodes in the superior endplate of L3. L3-L4 and L4-5
degenerative disc disease are
seen. There is an L4-5 small posterior disc bulge and small posterocentral disc herniation and
L2-3 vertebral hemangiomas.
Mr. Veteran has chronic pain due to his injuries. The veteran suffers radiculopathy with pain,
muscle control difficulty, tingling, numbness and weakness in the legs, likely due the
sacralization of L4-L5.
Mr. Veteran suffers increased fatigability because of his chronic back pain. Standing for more
than 15 minutes will make him become weak and exhausted.
There are multiple other clinical conditions diagnosed that are more likely than not secondary to
or aggravated by the primary back condition(s).
The veteran takes numerous medications for both the primary condition as well as secondary
conditions that are aggravated by said primary back condition. (Medicines and secondary
conditions are listed separately.)
The veteran is not a likely candidate to be rehabilitated.
After examining Mr. Veteran, his chart and medical records it is my opinion that Mr. Veteran is
totally and permanently disabled due to the above discussed back condition. The veteran can not
hold gainful employment as a result of the injury he sustained while in the military. It is also my
opinion that it is more likely than not the that the physical traumas suffered during the veteran's
military service as noted in his record (description of events and dates) caused, contributed to
and aggravated the totally disabling back condition(s).
Respectfully,
Dr. VA Physician, MD
Diplomat of the American Board of Internal Medicine
The language in the example above is specific. Any language less specific may not meet the standard
that VA will require.
Any physician who is qualified to write such a letter on your behalf may do so. While it is commonly
believed that VA physicians aren't allowed to write such letters, that isn't true. VA physicians, as with
many civilian physicians, simply don't like to write such letters as they are not skilled at the task, may
not have the tools to write the letter at hand and they are often so busy caring for a heavy load of
patients this is seen as work that isn't a priority.
It is perfectly acceptable for the veteran to write the letter on behalf of the physician and then ask the
physician to sign it. In any setting, whether VA or civilian, the veteran is advised that he or she should
not ask a nurse or clerk to perform the task of obtaining a signature for them. These ancillary members
of the care team often see themselves as "gatekeepers" to guard and protect the physician from tasks
that will only take up more valuable time.
They may believe that "rules" or "law" won't allow the physician to sign such a document and the
veteran may be refused access to the doctor. It's best to make a routine appointment, wait until the
veteran is face to face with the M.D. and ask that provider directly.
Most physicians will sign such a letter if it is brief, to the point and factual. When writing a nexus letter
great care must be given to recording only facts and the doctor's conclusions.
There are physicians available who will perform records reviews and/or Independent Medical
Examinations and provide opinions. Often these doctors do a very good job of providing a nexus letter
if the veteran isn't otherwise able to obtain one.
The charge for such a letter from an independent physician can vary depending on the extent of the
services. The veteran must pay that fee in advance with no guarantee that any award will be won. The
Independent Medical Examining doctor does not treat or prescribe medications but only provides
services of review and report.
The importance of the nexus letter can't be overstated. In many situations the nexus letter from
an expert is the only evidence that will tip the scales in favor of the veteran.
In the C & P Service Clinicians Guide instructions are given to the examiner as to the exact
phrasing that should be used, as follows here;
Q: How do I give an opinion for nexus(relationship to a military incident)?
A: When asked to give an opinion as to whether a condition is related to a specific incident
during military service, the opinion should be expressed as follows:
1. “is due to” (100% sure)
2. “more likely than not” (greater than 50%)
3. “at least as likely as not” (equal to or greater than 50%)
4. “not at least as likely as not” (less than 50%)
5. “is not due to” (0%)
That key phrase of "more likely than not" is right where the DRO wanted it.
The only thing missing from this letter is an often used statement to point out that there are no
other known or apparent causes for the current condition. That might read like; "There is no
known history of the veterans family having this condition..." or "The veteran has no other
known history that would cause or contribute to this condition...".
I only include that statement when the cause of the condition is less than apparent. I might use
that to show that a cancer was more likely than not caused by exposure to Agent Orange and that
the veteran had no family history or exposure to other carcinogenic chemicals that may be seen
as a possible cause for the current condition. In this case there were 2 documented traumatic
events that were the likely cause of the injury making any reference to other possible causes
unnecessary.
Remember, just because your Doctor writes a letter stating you have a medical condition that
WILL NOT be enough to award you a disability benefit. Your Doctor must write the condition
MUST BE (1) linked, (2) caused / contributed or (3) aggravated by your military service. If you
have a letter without this information your claim WILL MOST LIKELY be denied. We cannot
stress this enough. Also, just because you are going to the VA for treatment for your condition
that does not automatically qualify you for compensation. You will still need the "Nexus" letter
and file a claim for compensation.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use