VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Re-Examination?

Rate this question

Military_Mind_99

Question

Has anyone had a TBI re-examination or has heard of whats going on? (my VARO is Saint Paul, MN)

1. I claimed Closed Head Injury to include scar (DC 7800) in 2004. It was processed under BDD in San Deigo. DENIED

2. In 2012 I requested to reopen the exam because I had found some STR's which proved the incident occurred (the Marine Corps lost my STR's during my deployment). The incident was non-combat. I was given a TBI exam by a NP at the Minneapolis VAMC and DC changed under 8045. DENIED.

3. June 2015 I get a call from the St. Cloud VAMC for a C&P exam. I assume its for my skin condition because I had a follow-up exam because they didn't make it static. Wasn't till I got there I was blasted with a ton of questions instead of examining my skin what it was for. I did not ask to reopen or anything with TBI.

I had my exam pulled and was found a positive opinion for TBI and Post Concussion Syndrome and looking through the facets, possibly 10/40 percentage. No mention of painful scar (anyone know if they would put this in addition too or just lump it in). Also I'm curious whether how far back they would go, because before exam there was nothing in ebenefits, but now I see there is a reopened claim with the date of 5/8/15.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When I was medically retired in 2013, I was given a SC of 30% for TBI/Migraines. I opened up an FDC in Nov 14 for other conditions, since I was already 100% I think the VA thought that I was rocking the boat. So I get a call that I have a bunch of C&Ps in Feb 15 and all of my current High %s including my PTSD and TBI were being Reviewed, even though TBI was not up for Review until Feb 2016. No issues there, just when in to the Re Evals, and in fact it back fired on the VA's face, not only were most of my conditions continued at high %, but the RO increased my TBI from 30 to 50%. As long as your evidence and records are there, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck

Thanks Navy04. I am just happy I got a positive opinion with diagnosis, but in speaking with some VA employees it may not go back to 2004 or even 2012 because I didn't have a diagnosis of TBI/PCS. My thoughts are, how can I have a DX now and not back then, should I even appeal if they don't or just be happy and leave it alone. At this rate even with 10/40 my combined would only go to 80, but if I get retro to 2004,....thats a whole different ball game.

Folks:

I was involved in a major explosion in the military (am service connected for it) and want to put in a claim for TBI. Everything is confirmed and well documented but I have a significant problem and show all of the basic TBI symptoms match. That is that I am very claustrophobic as a result of a tank accident that I was involved within in the Army. I was trapped in the Tank for sometime and it really affected me mentally. Anyway, my question is that during a TBI exam do you have to do an MRI on the head or brain? Frankly, there's' no way that I can be placed in an MRI Tube and have my head covered to do so? We've tried all kinds of sedatives and other methods to do into an MRI. The only success that we had was that we found a place that has an open MRI but it's mainly good for back and spine related injuries...Frankly,

rootbeer22,

I can tell you that from the two TBI exams that I have had done in 2004 (taken as a head injury), 2012 and most recently 2015, I was not given any MRI or x-rays. I wouldn't say it's not possible but I am not an expert. For my exams it mainly consisted of questions and if needed they would refer me to additional exams if need be.

Military_Mind_99

Thanks, you made my day....In college, I was certified to be an open water diver but after this accident I have trouble with tight spaces. Not good for and Army Tanker/Commander whom may have to fight with the hatch closed? I waited on this aspect of my claim so it would not interfere with my first main claim. Even now, as I'm writing this, my chest is getting tight as I think about it, so that illustrates the effects this has on me. Well, I think I'm going forward with this. I had a few exams 2 weeks ago that may affect my claim, so when the results are posted I'll go forward with this...TBI Claim..

Good luck to you rootbeer22.

For me I'm just wondering why I even got the exam and whats going on within the VAMC or VBA with TBI. Like I said, I claimed it in 2004, got denied, 2012, got denied and did NOT request any reopening but was just randomly called for an exam.

Rumors has it they don't know what to do with these claims as far as the effetive dates, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.