VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

If It All Starts With The C-File, Then How The Heck Do We Get It?

Rate this question

ihateliver

Question

I call the VA and they hang up on me after they inform me I need to write a letter to the VARO in Baltimore. Ok what kind of letter? I visited the DAV there and the rep said that he completed a FOIA request for me but I don't see it in ebenes.

I have sat on my 40% for over 20 years without 1/100th of the knowledge I've been learning through this site. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I've been low balled.

I have most of my military records but I don't want to send duplicates of what the VA has reviewed. However I do not know how my ratings were reviewed.

Can anyone inform me on how to properly request my c-file? Thank you.

Vync makes a good point- you can't just walk in and see C-file and it may not even be at the VARO; they still shuffle it around to your C&P doctor etc like 100 years ago.

I went to VARO and requested an appointment. Weeks or more later I got letter with a window for days/times I could come see file.

At the appointment a VARO rep has to sit with you to make sure you don't monkey with the file. They may not be very patient.

They made a few important copies for me and I got my c-file years later.

• HadIt.com Elder

One of the reasons and circumstances cited in a BVA CUE level appeal concerning one of my claims was that the VA has not allowed myself or my lawyer

to view the actual "C" file. (Even though we were at the cognizant VARO. A VA traveling judge claimed that he had not seen the file as well. Yet, a couple of years ago,

one of the VARO staff lawyers was able to get "hands on" the file in a few minutes during a phone call. ????

I have been working on my disability for neurological disorders for the better part of 15 years with very little success.

This year I found out about the C-file and requested it but could not get it.

I am now using the Attig Law Firm to requests C-Files using the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

They have been trying for 90 days without success yet. I understand that VA in Houston just can not easily assemble and send out.

MR Attig is reading a multi-action law suit to try and get.

Good luck

Allen

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Yo Vync how the heck did you make the appointment? I called the 1-800 number and the rep said I needed to send a letter to the Baltimore VARO to make an appointment. I know doggone well a letter to BVARO will not fly. I asked the jamoke is there a more direct way to make an appt and he hung up the phone.

The exact method to obtain an appointment to view your C-file may differ between VAROs. In my case, after the guy at the front desk laughed at me, I asked him how to make an appointment. He pulled out some form that I filled out. Some time later, I received a letter in the mail with my appointment. That was about six or seven years ago, so I do not know if the process has changed or may be different at your VARO. Sending a letter to your VARO or sending in an IRIS request might be your only option.

Edited by Vync