How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

Tinnitus is one of those things that can be tested for in some circumstances since it can be caused by certain damage to the ear and its associated parts. However self reported tinnitus (ie i hear ringing in my ears) without any physical damage to the associate parts (im not a doctor and dont remember the exact lingo) does happen alot to people who are exposed to loud noises often. Its impossible to disprove since its a subjective report. where you get 0% or 10% (10% is maximum allowed by law) is how it affects you. If you are impaired by it, say by having to have things repeated, it keeps you up at night and you need the tv on or white noise to fall asleep. if you report ringing in your ears but there is no impact, ie you sleep fine, it doesnt bother you etc. you will get 0%.

hearing loss and tinnitus can be related but one is not required for the other. I have hearing loss, from my MEPS audiogram to my current ther is a significant change HOWEVER it is wihtin what the VA considers nomral limits still (tell that to my wife and co workers that i can hear fine...). I was denied bilateral hearing loss but was granted 10% tinnitus. Remember that you also can get hearing aids if you have tinnitus. They gave me ones that are for helping hearing but also produce a fine white noise to help with tinnitus, so the hearing aids help with my hearing but was for tinnitus so im happy with it since i got what i needed to help me hear better, albeit in a roundabout way.

As far as your civilian doctor goes... tell them that they need to give you a report about your hearing and tinnitus that uses the words "more likely than not" related to loud noises experience in service during combat operations. If you leave it vague, like "could have" that can be interpreted as being less than 50% sure, if so than no dice son.

what was your MOS? if you were field artillery, anything involving a job that was around loid noises, mechanic, artillery, engineer, etc.

having the CAB will help alot to establish in service nexus.

whats your aduiogram say? are you within VA limits for "normal range" of hearing, if so, you will jsut need to wait 20 years to refile when your hearing is gone gone.

• Like 1

For my hearing C&P, I had the audiogram test, then a test where I had to repeat what I heard in the ear phones. Midway through the test, the examiner asked if my ears were ringing right then. I told him they always ring. I also wrote a comprehensive statement in regards to my rating and job in the CG:

(1). My first small boat unit was Station ******. I was stationed there from 1990 to 1993. During this time frame I was a Seaman Apprentice and advanced to Seaman. While stationed there I was a certified crewmember on a 44’ Motor Life Boat (MLB), certified crewmember on a 41’ Utility Boat (UTB) and was certified crewmember on a 22’ Non Standard Boat (NSB-Boston Whaler). Both the MLB and UTB are diesel powered vessels, and the NSM was a single motor outboard gas powered vessel. I would typically be underway on these vessels for a combined duration of at LEAST 10 hours per duty period. During this time frame I was constantly exposed to diesel motor noise, outboard motor noise, wind noise and water rushing noise.

(2). My second small boat unit was Station *******. I was stationed there from 1993 to 1997. During this timeframe I was a Seaman and advanced to Boatswain’s Mate, Third Class. While stationed there I was a certified crewmember on a 44’ MLB, certified crewmember on a 41’ UTB, certified crewmember on a 24’ Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB) and certified crewmember on the new 47’ MLB. Station Gloucester was chosen as a new platform test site for the 47’MLB. Both of the MLBs and the UTB are diesel powered vessels, and the RHIB was a twin motor outboard gas powered vessel. I would typically be underway on these vessels for a combined duration of at LEAST 10 hours per duty period, with extended periods of up to 10 hours per DAY. During this time frame I was constantly exposed to diesel motor noise, outboard motor noise, wind noise and water rushing noise.

(3). My third small boat unit was Station ********. I was stationed there from 1997 to 2000. During this timeframe I was a Boatswain’s Mate, Third Class and advanced to Boatswain’s Mate, Second Class. While stationed there I was a certified coxswain on a 41’ UTB and certified coxswain on a 21’ Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB). The UTB is a diesel powered vessels, and the RHIB was a single motor outboard gas powered vessel. I would typically be underway on these vessels for a combined duration of at LEAST 10 hours per duty period, with extended periods of up to 10 hours per DAY, and at least 2 occasions that were over 10 hours. During this time frame I was constantly exposed to diesel motor noise, outboard motor noise, wind noise and water rushing noise.

(4). My fourth small boat unit was Station ********. I was stationed there from 2000 to 2004. During this time period I was a Boatswain’s Mate, Second Class and was advanced to Boatswain’s Mate, First Class. While stationed there I was a certified coxswain on the 47’ MLB, certified coxswain on a 41’ UTB, certified coxswain on a 21’ Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB). The MLB and the UTB are diesel powered vessels, and the RHIB was a twin motor outboard gas powered vessel. I would typically be underway on these vessels for a combined duration of at LEAST 10 hours per duty period, with extended periods of up to 10 hours per DAY. During this time frame I was constantly exposed to diesel motor noise, outboard motor noise, wind noise and water rushing noise.

(5). After my active duty discharge, I was re-enlisted into the US Coast Guard Reserves and was attached to the Station ******* Reserve Unit, of which I was attached to from 2004 until my retirement in 2011. During this timeframe I was a Boatswain’s Mate, First Class and advanced to Chief Boatswain’s Mate. While serving as a reservist, I stood duty one weekend a month, with an active duty period for at least two weeks during each fiscal year. During that time frame, I remained operational until 2010. While I was operational, I was certified coxswain on the 47’ MLB until 2008, certified coxswain on a 21’RHIB until it was replaced in 2005, and was certified coxswain on its replacement; the 25’ Response Boat, Medium (RBS) Defender Class until 2010. The MLB is a diesel powered vessel, the RHIB was a twin motor outboard gas powered vessel and the RBS was a high horsepower twin motor outboard gas powered vessel. I would typically be underway on these vessels for a combined duration of at LEAST 8 hours per duty period, with extended periods of up to 10 hours per duty period. During this time frame I was constantly exposed to diesel motor noise, outboard motor noise, wind noise and water rushing noise.

During all of my career, active & reserve, I certified on all personal defense weapons on a regular 6 month training rotation, to include the Beretta M9 9mm pistol, Remington Shotgun 870 (old), Remington Shotgun M870P (new), M16A2 select fire rifle, and SigSauer P229R-DAK .40cal pistol. I also attended yearly M240 certifications. During all I wore the proper hearing protection (that was supplied).

Along with the statement, I supplied the VA with 21 years of range reports, as well as 21 years of u/w records. I went into the process making sure I covered as much as I could.

Edited by RonS

I just want to understand the tinnitus process for compensation so that I have realistic expectations. My VSO said I should get the 10% for tinnitus even with normal hearing. I want to make sure I say the right things in the c&p exam as to my on-and-off again ringing in both ears. So is there anything I should/should not say at the c&p exam (of course I am not talking about lying)? USMC_vet, are you saying that the tinnitus rating Will be purely subjective based on what I say along with my CAB proving that I was around gunfire/artillery/ied's? Even though my tinnitus came about post-active duty? I personally know the tinnitus had to have come from combat with no ear protection.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Ads

• Ads

• Similar Content

• By Duster4-60
      Just finished my C and P for Tinnitus and Hearing loss. And why I most likely will be denied.

My appointment was made through LHI. This was June 24, 2021 and the appointment was for September 10, 2021. I called LHI and asked why it would take 11 weeks for an appointment, no answer.

My appointment was for 1PM. I arrived at 12:45 to find the location at a small store front in an older strip mall, my first thought was, Dingy and Dirty.  No one was at the reception desk so I called out to someone in the back. Turns out it was the Doctor who answered she was with a patient and came to the front and informed me they were out to lunch and to sit down until the receptionist returns. Needless to say she seem a bit miffed that I bothered her.

The receptionist arrived and took my info and asked that I take a seat until the Doctor finished with the other patient. I waited until 1:15 when the doctor called me in. Her 1st question was “how are you doing” and my reply was “I’ve been better” she seemed to want to push the issue and I pushed back saying I didn’t know want she wanted me to say. At this point I started to feel this was not going to go well for me.

She began interviewing me first about my hearing. It was pretty basic like, are both ears affected, is one side better that the other. When did I notice my hearing lost and what may have caused it. I told her about being in the Artillery in Viet-Nam for a years. I was honest to tell her that age may also be a factor. Then she started asking about my Tinnitus, normal questions like, when did it start, what it sound like to me. I explained besides being in the Artillery there was one incident of a large road land mine that blew up right in front me. I was driving a deuce and half with some replacements from Pleiku to Kon Tum. The deuce and half in front of me hit the mine and it blew off the double dual tires of the deuce and half as well bending the bed as if it was a toy. It was the loudest thing I ever heard. She took notes about it but seemed to want to know about my life after Viet-Nam.

At this point she seemed confrontational about my answers. I told her I worked in the accounting department of a large trucking company for about 15 years and then computer work. Nothing in noisy areas or running heavy machinery. She didn’t seem to want to listen how Tinnitus impacted my life. She just seemed to want to find some other reason why I might have Tinnitus. She keep asking about if I go hunting or to a shooting range. Then if I own a motorcycle or loud lawn equipment. I told I didn’t but she asked a second and third time about the same thing at which point I felt she was badgering me.

We started the hearing test and to my surprise my hearing was better than I expected. I don’t know if she played with the equipment but it sure didn’t feel right, but the results are the results. So I doubt I would get any rating for hearing loss. As for the Tinnitus I assume it is what opinion she puts in her report but I have little hope it will be in my favor.

Overall I didn’t find her to be a very professional and wish that they had choose another doctor to do the testing. Just wondering if anyone has any comment about LHI as a contractor?

• By Scottish_Knight
      Greetings all,
      I served from 1988 to 2009, roughly 18 of those 21 years were as an Army CID Special Agent.  In 2001, I was shot in the leg, which destroy the femur.  This occurred on a US military installation, however I was taken to a civilian hospital for the surgery and was later transferred to a MEDDAC.  The bullet traveled through the femur, so a rod was inserted with two lower and two upper screws.  I lost not only length in the leg (2cm) but my hamstring atrophied.  Since then, I've encountered continued pain in my knee and hip.  All was documented in my military medical records.  Often times, the pain would have me seek medical attention about 2 times per year, which again is documented.

I underwent surgery last year to remove one of the screws (all are now broken) that was pressing against a tendon causing extreme pain.  The surgeon explained the others will need be replaced and I will also need a hip replacement in the coming years.  The pain continues.

My VA exam was in 2009 and at that time the length difference in my legs was disclosed to me for the first time and as xrays were obtained, the screws were discovered to be broken.  The VA Rating Decision gave me 0%. 

Unknown to me was the appeal process.  Last year, I found someone who is helping me with the appeal.  I live in a remote part of southern Germany, so connection to other retirees and vets is nil.

This week, through my appeal representative, the VA has contacted me.  They want all the background information on the shooting.  They require the who, what, when, where, why, and how of this incident.  I am also to supply them with records I have that they don't.  First, they have a copy of my entire medical record.  How am I to know what they don't have?  Second, the Rating Decision states that this injury was service connected and in the line of duty, so why is the background information required?  Had I been shot while in Afghanistan would they be asking the same questions?

Perhaps I simply do not know exactly how the VA adjudicates the claims.  As this is not a presumptive matter, evidence of the injury must be presented.  They have that in the form of my military medical records.  Do the circumstances behind the shooting hold weight on determining the extent of either the injury or the level and percentage of my disability?  Does the background on an injury play some part of the adjudication process and awarded disability to which I am unaware?

Thank you in advance for any insight into this.
    • By mb76
      What does this mean? Is it good or bad for vets?
      https://veteranclaims.net/2020/03/08/single-judge-application-delayed-onset-tinnitus-tinnitus-can-manifest-years-after-an-underlying-cause-va-training-letter-10-028/

• By mb76
      I have been out of the service for a decade. I claimed tinnitus upon discharge and was denied because I didn't have hearing loss. I gave up on that claim but now the tinnitus is bothering me. I have never gotten any treatment for tinnitus. What is the path to service connection? Note: my MOS is "on the list" for noise exposure.
    • By Honest Abe
      I have submitted at least two Service Connected Disability claims to the Veterans Administration (VA) for hearing loss, beginning with my initial request in December 4, 2009. Each test was conducted by a company called QTC. Each test was conducted by an evaluator that ran each test at least three times. My last QTC evaluator swapped headsets three times, then told me she would be increasing the volume of the  audio "so I could hear better". She also stated that she had to report higher scores. Both QTC exams were "normal", rendering 0% compensation. My hearing tests at three outside ENT facilities stated "Moderate to Severe hearing loss". How many times is an evaluator required to run one complete audiology test?   
  • Ads

• Our picks

• I already get compensation for bladder cancer for Camp Lejeune Water issue, now that it is added to Agent Orange does it mean that the VA should pay me the difference between Camp Lejeune and 1992 when I retired from the Marine Corps or do I have to re-apply for it for Agent Orange, or will the VA look at at current cases already receiving bladder cancer compensation. I’m considered 100% Disabled Permanently 
      • 20 replies
    • 5,10, 20 Rule
      The 5, 10, 20 year rules...

Five Year Rule) If you have had the same rating for five or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless your condition has improved on a sustained basis. All the medical evidence, not just the reexamination report, must support the conclusion that your improvement is more than temporary.

Ten Year Rule) The 10 year rule is after 10 years, the service connection is protected from being dropped.

Twenty Year Rule) If your disability has been continuously rated at or above a certain rating level for 20 or more years, the VA cannot reduce your rating unless it finds the rating was based on fraud. This is a very high standard and it's unlikely the rating would get reduced.

If you are 100% for 20 years (Either 100% schedular or 100% TDIU - Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability or IU), you are automatically Permanent & Total (P&T). And, that after 20 years the total disability (100% or IU) is protected from reduction for the remainder of the person's life. "M-21-1-IX.ii.2.1.j. When a P&T Disability Exists"

At 55, P&T (Permanent & Total) or a few other reasons the VBA will not initiate a review. Here is the graphic below for that. However if the Veteran files a new compensation claim or files for an increase, then it is YOU that initiated to possible review.

NOTE: Until a percentage is in place for 10 years, the service connection can be removed. After that, the service connection is protected.

------

Example for 2020 using the same disability rating

1998 - Initially Service Connected @ 10%

RESULT: Service Connection Protected in 2008

RESULT: 10% Protected from reduction in 2018 (20 years)

2020 - Service Connection Increased @ 30%

RESULT: 30% is Protected from reduction in 2040 (20 years)
      • 58 replies
    • Post in New BVA Grants
      While the BVA has some discretion here, often they "chop up claims".  For example, BVA will order SERVICE CONNECTION, and leave it up to the VARO the disability percent and effective date.  

I hate that its that way.  The board should "render a decision", to include service connection, disability percentage AND effective date, so we dont have to appeal "each" of those issues over then next 15 years on a hamster wheel.  
    • Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 18 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Fund HadIt.com

406%
    $6,103.00 of $1,500.00 Donate Now
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines