VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

Update: I just saw my va report from ent online. Minor hearing loss. Issuing me hearing aids. Doc stated that I reported to her constant bilateral tinnitus from my combat in oef. I am assuming that should get me at least the 10% sc tinnitus and 0% sc hearing loss? This was not a c&p exam. This was referral from my va pcp.

• HadIt.com Elder

you need the C&P Dr to opine this and verification from a qualified Audiologist!

the raters are picky who they relies on for information.

jmo

.....................Buck

The ENT doc that performed the exam was a VA qualified audiologist at the VA hospital. Will that be enough evidence at least for an ACE telephone call exam, or do you think I Will still have a C&P exam?

• HadIt.com Elder

yes it should be ok but the Doc don't make the decision the VA Raters at RO do that.

I was thinking your pcp told you that information about tinnitus but I read it wrong it was a referral from your pcp...sorry!

As for a a telephone C&P exam I never heard of that? unless the veteran was housebound and could not travel.

As for as I know all veterans receive a C&P Exam from Regional Office to have at the VAMC for compensation purposes.

However I suppose you could by-pass the VA Exam with a IMO? I'm not sure on that? but Usually/Normally an IMO is needed when the veteran gets a bum C&P exam unfavorable to him/her to support their claim.

............Buck

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

On my medical records audiology has me listed for having tinnitus, I told them I had constant buzzing in right ear. I wonder if VA has anything to treat it causes at times it is very distracting. Last year it stopped for about 4 days and it made me very happy.