VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Substance Abuse Question

Rate this topic

What's up bros?

I wanted to asked you guys a question. I rated 100% and for the past 7-8 years I've been abusing opiates on and off. The reason I start using opiates was because of pain lower back, knee, shoulder, and server migraine head aches and whenever I'd go to the Dr. they would prescribe me some bull shit like Tylanol 3 for knee surgery and Napersin or some garbage for migraines that was a freaking joke to put lightly I still get angry and my heart races every time I think of the Dr. that gave me that shit for migraines pure hell called 911 after leaving the VA and got took to a real hospital where they gave me shots and real medicine anyway. I wanted to know what would happen if I went to the VA and told them that I want to get off of Opiates and didn't want to do any of the substance abuse programs and I just wanted medications something such as a 2 week supply of Subxone. I am moving to Europe to live with my brother who is going to school there and I will be withdrawing anyway but I don't want to have to go through the whole not sleeping, eating, and shitting my brains out for a week if I don't have to. Does anyone know what the VA would do for me if I just wanted the medications and none of the substance abuse programs? I want to know because I don't want to go to the VA and have them just give me some bullshit like anti diarrea medicine and some tylanol but something that will actually help me with withdraws.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miami305.I was on the suboxone program with the VA for a couple of months for an opiate and heroin addiction.It was a long process getting into the program.No way will they give a 2 week supply to bring home without any kind of treatment,my suboxone doctor anyway.It is a very highly controlled substance and a limited amount of doctors are able to prescribe it.I'm glad you want to get off these opiates and stop dancing with the devil.You don't need to be fighting this demon ever again and you can get your life back as long as you choose to,it's all up to you,and no one can help you until you start helping yourself.You can get off these opiates,its not easy,but you can do it,i did,one day at a time.Suboxone is not the answer to get off opiates,it is an evil drug and the withdrawels are way worse then any opiate including heroin when you want to get off suboxone.All it is is putting a bandade over a bandade,believe me I been there.Talk with your doctor about this.For me to get clean I had to fight this demon cold turkey.Im sure I don't need to tell you what I went through.The first week is the worse then you will start to feel better,it is a process.I really hope things workout for you,i know what your going through.If I can help you with anything or you just need to talk,message me anytime and I will get back to you,keep your head up,goodluck.

Sorry to hear of your issues bud, and Oiler is on the money. I deal with a lot of the pain you deal with, yet I can not take any form of pain medication due to Blood Transfusions and Crohns. It is hard to get thru some days, but It sounds like you are a strong person, and good of you to want to seek help. Good luck and God Bless!!!

Thanks brother. I'm just going to cold turkey this bitch since it's so hard to get help from the VA. Rather not go to the VA anyway. I usually just go to the emergency room at a hospital that isn't the VA since the VA pays for it and you get 10 trillion times better service and medications.

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you using opiates for pain or just to get high? There is use and abuse, but the VA does not make that distinction in their medical coding. I would never admit to abusing opiates, or any drug including alcohol. I just would not admit to that even if I were taking 20 oxycodones a day since that puts you in a bad light with the VA for the rest of your life. Also since that information is shared with your state drug abuse watch dog. My VAMC asks the State of Florida Drug Abuse department for any prescriptions I get outside the VA, and the state gives them the information. A drug abuse history can follow you via your insurance. The VA tried to bill my private insurance for treatment of opiate addiction. I raised hell with them about that and refused to authorize them to contact my private providers. I am being treated for chronic pain with opiates and not for drug abuse. Are you sure you are a drug abuser, and not a chronic pain drug user? This is all part of the WAR ON DRUGS that has been a failure for 40 years and turned Mexico into a drug store for America.

• HadIt.com Elder

Probably need to get some help. Getting off drugs is not easy and you can use all the tools that are offered.