VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefits Expedited Claim Submitted

Rate this question

green

Question

I wanted to thank all those who helped and provided advice and guidance for my expedited claim. I started the online claim the beginning of December and finally got all my ducks in a row last night. I submitted what I think is a well-documented claim for 5 secondary conditions. I submitted a letter of introduction covering the facts, my wife created and I submitted her letter of fact/support of my claims. For each of the 5 claims I created a separate PDF consisting of a cover sheet (with a detailed statement of the facts) and supporting documentation including chart notes and test results.

It feels nice to have this submitted and now I am hoping to be able to think of other things while my claims work through the process.

I currently have a 60% rating for Diabetes and my medical discharge was over 32 years ago.

I'll keep you posted on the progress/happenings.

Green

Changes to EBenefits

• Status changed from Preparation for Decision to Gathering of Evidence
  • Estimated Completion Date changed from 10/08/2015 - 11/14/2015 to 02/15/2016 to 05/02/2016
  • Also says "Development Letter Sent" Anyone know what this means?

This is New:

• What do we still need from others: (guessing C&P Exam/s?)
    • Item: Phoenix, AZ
    • Date Requested: 08/06/2015
    • Date Due: 09/12/2015
    • Follow-up Date:

A development letter means is just a letter from the VA, this can be the first letter they sent saying "we got your claim, its gonna be awhile" or the one that comes later saying "hey sorry its taking so long, but its gonna take longer" midway through the process. in my experience there are usually these letters sent for a comp claim

1) Receipt of claim, we got it

2) Getting evidence, hey we are working on it but need this evidence/please send us everything else you got

3) Apology, Sorry its taking so long but it is still going to be longer

4) Decision, hey this is what we decided.

All of those will be listed as 'Development letter" however they dont differentiate them which i dont like, i wish they had a number next to them so you know you have received them all (ie ive gotten two letters but now it shows 3 so i should be getting another now).

So this could mean the first one or the latest one

Received a letter today (from the Wisconsin Evidence Intake Center) from the VA summarized below:

We are working on your claim

We asked the VA medical facility nearest you to schedule you for an exam in connection with your claim. They will notify of the date, time, and place of the examination.

I know that my claim is being worked in Montana, so I assume that these sorts of letters must all come from the Wisconsin Evidence Intake Center?

Green

I received a call from the VA RO today, they wanted to know if I would give them permission to move ahead without requesting medical records from 1983 - 1993.  I told them that was fine as I feel my claims for secondary conditions are well documented with information from 1994 forward.  Plus it really wouldn't make a difference as I started the claim on EBenefits last December and didn't complete it and submit until the end of July.  It sounds like they have everything needed to make determinations with the exception of two C&P exams that the medical center has yet to submit (exam was last week).  The other four have been submitted and received.

When you file an FDC, to have your claim expedited, you are suppose to have already retrieved your medical records and submitted them with your claim. If you indicated on your application that there are medical records elsewhere and that you want the VA to seek them, then that would automatically remove you claim from the FDC status to that of a regular claim, which would explain the change in dates that you saw on e-benefits. The kicker is that those records probably would not be found anyway, since they date back 20-30 years and those records were probably purged many years ago (unless they are SMRs). It looks like someone at the VA recognized this and called you to clear it up. I wouldn't be surprised to see those "estimated completion dates" change back to the earlier dates now that you've told them not to seek those records.

Edited by bluevet

I have seen that happen with my own claim that is an FDC.  They seem to give you very broad dates and the worst case scenario if they end up needing more evidence or there is a backwards change in status and then as soon as that is straightened out it goes right back to the original timeline.  I had the same thing occur with me.

*UPDATE*

Final 2 C&P exam results were received by the RO and now my claim is in preparation for decision.  I know not to depend on EBenefits but given the final two secondary conditions will most likely be rated at 0%, and the other C&P's were very well done documenting my issues including the severity II don't anticipate issues.

Thanks,

Green