VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Know How To Get Qtc Cp Exam For Medical Puposes

Rate this question

rootbeer22

Question

Folks:

I've had Hypertension Issues since my early days in Kuwait and was hospitalized there for several days for a kidney stone and kidney issues. Recently, I was service connected at 0% for hypertension. Anyway, much later, I ended up with 3 large marble sized cysts on my Kidney's. Anyway, so, around 1998, when I was still active in the Army, I started having chest pains that would not go away. So, they gave me an heart echocardiogram back then and found some heart valve regurgitation problems. As a result, from that time on, I've had chest pains and carried around nitro to relieve the angina. Anyway, 30 days ago, I had another echocardiogram for my disability claim but they were done by the contractor QTC. Anyway, I've been having more issues over the last couple of days and wanted to know if anyone knows the best way to access that echocardiogram from a VA QTC contractor? Overall, l know the test costs around 3-4 K , so I was glad that the VA did the test mainly so I can get a status of how I am doing now and if my heart valve is Ok or getting worse? Anyway, I've been really tired and fatigued and figure it's just the sleep apnea getting the best of me? Frankly, I know it could take almost a year to get the QTC results...so does anyone know the best way to get these results for medical reasons despite being for CP exams? I would prefer that my Non VA-PcP get the results first , mainly because he knows my cardiac conditions better than anyone else at the VA? I've tried to avoid having the VA treat me because they are so busy now...but if it's my only option, then I could be seen by them as a last resort--to see the echocardiogram ----maybe?

So, does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing and know what's the best way to get a contractor completed QTC echocardiogram that was done 30 days ago....Specifically for a CP Exam?

Thanks in advance....rootbeer22

I asked the QTC rep last week if I could get a copy of the results and she said that the VA does not authorize them to release the results. Long story short, you should file a FOIA request for your entire C&P folder. There's a good discussion here on how to do it and a draft memorandum. I know of no other way to get the results from a C&P.

Anytime I've had tests done or been seen by an outside provider per the VA's request I've simply asked the outside provider for copies of the chart notes or test results. I've never been turned down. It's really stupid that the VA doesn't want you to have access to data derived from tests they performed on your body.

Usually you can not get the results of a C&P exam done by an outside contractor until after the VA has made a decision, at least that has been my experience.

Green:

Frankly, I thought that VA does not like the vet to contact the QTC providers directly based upon the notification letters that they send out? So, do you think if I contact that providers office tomorrow that they would provide the test results with no problem? I guess it does not hurt to ask but I don't want to break any rules that would hurt my claim results but Id like to know where I stand? I agree that it does not make sense to hold back a vets medical files that may help a vet with their health issues? When I read the symptoms...they are classic for heart valve disease. I know that I'm close to getting a decision but really want to get an answer about my heart....

I'm assuming that you asked for the results right after you had your CP Exam or did you wait for time and then go back to the doctors office for the results? Either way...thanks for you assistance with this....rootbeer22

Remember that your C&P documents are not really medical files, hence why you can't pull them down from ebenefits like you can your VA medical files, prescriptions, appointments and doctors notes.

rootbeer22,

I am about to travel down a simular road. This my plan, and it has worked for before. I was SC'd for high blood pressure treated at 0% in 2008 from doctors reports, civilian and military from 1999-2004. In the reports, in 04 I had a xray which showed a enlarged heart, which the report stated "runners heart". I also have a borderline ECG, and a couple ECG's with a "early repolarization" statement. One ECG states "Sinus rythm with arrythmia with occasionsl premature ventricular complexes.

I have been complaining since 04 about instant sweeting upon start of moderate to heavy activity. Some dizziness and some other issues.

I will be submitting a claim for Heart Disease, enlarged left ventrical. I will do some research to get the claim correct to match the regs., secondary to High Blood Pressure.

Cut and dried, I should get 30% just for the x-ray, but that probably wont happen the first time around.

I will see what they do at the C & P and then go from there if I am denied.

I will reference that when I was connected for HBP in 08, they (the VA) should have seen the ECG's and the x-ray and "duty to assist", should have connected for me at that time. But will not press that the first time around.

Thanks,

Hamslice