VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Shoulder

Rate this question

Fat

Question

A fellow Maryland DAV veteran told us he is scheduled for a C&P exam for his left shoulder on August 11th.

He has partial ligament damage, impingement, and a torn rotator cuff.

How is a C&P exam conducted for the shoulder area.

Do they also do x-rays or a MRI.

All comments are welcomed............

If it gets service connected, then anything seen on x-rays like arthritis, impingement, etc, will get you 10%.

Anything over 10% is Range of Motion. Also, if he is right handed (dominant), then on some of the schedule, he will get 10% less.

I am service connected for injury to right shoulder 20% because of ROM second time around when I asked for an increase. Originally 10% for impingement, etc.

I am service connected for left shoulder 10% ROM becasue of impingement. Same ROM as right, but less because not dominant arm.

I am also service connected for both shoulder 10% for arthritis, but that dont count becasue of stacking.

The ROM limits and picture in in the VA regs.

Also, and this is the biggest thing you need to do. Stop moving you are at PAIN, not when you cant move it any farther. And dont let them move your arm for you, one they could injure you, and second it supposed to be your movement they are measuring.

Hamslice

I just had a C & P for shoulders on 20 June 2015 and Hamslice is right. I was rated 10% for each shoulder for impingement and arthritis for the past 10 years. I requested an increase for the right shoulder in 2009 but was denied. I requested an increase for both shoulders in April 2015. I received the notification and was awarded 20% right shoulder with left shoulder deferred. I got a phone call last week and was told verbally that the left shoulder has been increased to 20% also. STOP when you feel pain. I'm not sure how they rate a torn rotator cuff or ligament damage but it has been my experience that they put for emphasis on range of motion than anything else. This is the table from CFR 38 for the shoulder and arm.

The Shoulder and Arm

Rating Major Minor 5200 Scapulohumeral articulation, ankylosis of: Note: The scapula and humerus move as one piece. Unfavorable, abduction limited to 25° from side 50 40 Intermediate between favorable and unfavorable 40 30 Favorable, abduction to 60°, can reach mouth and head 30 20 5201 Arm, limitation of motion of: To 25° from side 40 30 Midway between side and shoulder level 30 20 At shoulder level 20 20 5202 Humerus, other impairment of: Loss of head of (flail shoulder) 80 70 Nonunion of (false flail joint) 60 50 Fibrous union of 50 40 Recurrent dislocation of at scapulohumeral joint. With frequent episodes and guarding of all arm movements 30 20 With infrequent episodes, and guarding of movement only at shoulder level 20 20 Malunion of: Marked deformity 30 20 Moderate deformity 20 20 5203 Clavicle or scapula, impairment of: Dislocation of 20 20 Nonunion of: With loose movement 20 20 Without loose movement 10 10 Malunion of 10 10 Or rate on impairment of function of contiguous joint.

ROM ROM ROM and stop at pain, stiffness or anything out of the ordinary. And tell them, it hurts I cant go no farther, and when I had mine done, she didnt help me, but I actually used my other arm to help stabilize my arm and she noted that. I did not do that on purpose, but it was a reflex action, and she caught that. Note that my arm is that bad, you just compromise out of habit to function. Like when taking of my sweatshirt, etc..

Anyway,

Good luck,

Hamslice

I will let him look at all the post on Monday.

He says his shoulder is sore all the time and when he sleeps at night it feels like its dislocated.

It looks like he has ROM, but he grimaces when making certain movements.

I told him to have his daughter accompany him to the C&P and take his medical record (MRI on CD and written radiology report).

"NEVER GIVE UP"