!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Non-Attorney Va Claims Practitioner

After doing this for over 26 years, I have decided to go feet dry and apply for the non-attorney practitioner's license and take the test. The VA website on it says the process takes about a year. No surprises there, huh? Thus, God and VA willing, I'll be making life miserable for VA raters for years to come. Having now been declared officially "cured" of my Hepatitis C, I feel it's time to get back to work. Being 20-year protected, I can't be pole-axed with a reduction.

Edited by asknod (see edit history)
  • Like 14

• HadIt.com Elder

AskNod, That particular move in itself would make you a bonafied VA Claims Agent and you would join the ranks of such Hadit members like the One and Only John Dorle. Good Luck and I Know you will be one of the good ones.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

That's Great officially cleared of the Hep-C Good news buddy!

& being bonafied VA Claims Agent way to go...humm could ya cut a deal on the 20% LoL...Just Kidding''

I am glad your going to be making those VA Raters Life's Miserable bout time someone did! they made ours miserable a few times or a few years for some.

I know you will be great helping veterans only be officially now.

If anyone can pass that test we here at hadit all know you can do it.

I wish you the best Alex.

.......................Buck

• Like 1

• HadIt.com Elder

Thank you AskNod this is good news for sure we all know how much Veterans in need of good

help must have some one of your caliber on their side you are a good person..

jc

• Like 3

• HadIt.com Elder

Go for it Alex!!! I'm sure the test is fairly easy. I saw the study book that the DVA wrote to train VSO's and it's basically the same one, as the NVLSP study/course/test, that Berta and I took about 15-20yrs ago. That test was so simple, I was embarrassed to take it(jmo). It had questions like "who is a veteran?" and "who is considered a dependent?" You may as well get paid for your knowledge. I've considered the same thing but decided I'm getting to old to work. Good luck!!!!

pr

• Like 5

• HadIt.com Elder

PR

Your only as old as you feel buddy!

you be another good one too! help make those raters lives miserable.

.....Buck

Rest assured I do not aspire to this for the money. I am blessed in that regard. The highest calling a Vet could ask for, in my book, would be to help another. Look at the top of this page and reread Theresa's mantra. And for the record, there is no limit on VA attorney remuneration. This is why you sometimes see a large Vet atty. practice charge 30%-33%. The 20% is merely an industry -wide accepted practice as most Vets are not well-heeled. I'm in it for justice. I'm convinced there is none of substance for us. My case is/was/continues to be a prime example.

Comin' in hot.

• Like 7

• HadIt.com Elder

Oh I know you don't, ''just an inside joke'' on asking to cut us a better deal than the 20% industry- wide accepted practice.

I know your in it for Justice and I'm glad!

...........Buck

Great news Alex!!!!!!!!!!

I only know one other accredited claims agent, Mike Harris, hadit member, in addition to John Dorle and

with your expertise, you should have no problems at all representing veterans.

And you can get paid, too.,when their claims succeed.

Yippee!

• Like 2

This is good news indeed, Sir Nod.

I am amazed and inspired at your ability to multi-task so many projects daily.

Many hundreds of Veterans have benefited from your knowledge and experience that you have shared

for 20+ years.

You Sir Nod have paid it forward many times over. Your dedication and success with helping Veterans is second to none.

Live long and prosper.

Edited by 31Bravo (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Rarely do I think people should turn their claim over to a Non attorney practioner. (yes this includes VSO's.)

I would like to add up all the money I paid for a "free" VSO. You know the ones who recommend you dont appeal a zero percent rating. At a minimum, my "free" VSO cost me about 2 years of retro at 100%, or about 70,000.

However, Alex is such a non attorney practioner that I would feel comfortable recommending to other Vets. I am very tickled to know you are well enough to do this. There are not other "non attorney's" that have the in depth CFR knowledge Alex has. He is a published author and I would hire him to do my claim in a minute...if I had not already hired an attorney.

• Like 3

• HadIt.com Elder

Hurry up Alex go pass that test , you have veterans standing in line!

I also could be in that line too!

.................Buck

Alex this is the best news I've read today. I'm glad that I found your site, bought the hard copy and e-version of your book and joined Hadit. You've inspired me to fight the best fight to win. Go get that license and may God bless you with good health....Sir, you'll never have any client shortages for the remainder of your lifetime.

Jumpmaster

I see some of you who answered are ones I have helped. Keep your pieholes zipped so I don't get poleaxed in the preliminaries. I prefer to think of my self as a 'facilitator' who connects you with knowledge heretofore known but not widely disseminated by VA. SMC and VR&E ILP are just two facets of it. They are, however my strongest interests as they are the most heavily abused/ignored. 

With the recent purchase of a real, operational jetgun, I hope to bust open the Hepatitis C wall of denial. Whipping that puppy out for a Decision Review Officer or a Veterans Law Judge is bound to open some eyes as to the inherent unsanitariness of the device. It's worse than any of you could even imagine in your wildest dreams. Some of you will wonder how you managed not to get infected.

Fellow friend and Vet Ben Krause is busy up in Minneapolis raising hell over doctors who aren't doctors denying TBI Vets of all eras. Ron Nesler spent his comp. dollars on this beauty yesterday. At 4:45 or so you can hear him say "Ben's gonna love this."

Check this out. You're gonna love it. We got three jetguns on ebay. Probably the last in existence:

https://asknod.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/have-gun-will-travel-jetguns/

Edited by asknod (see edit history)
  • Like 5

• 7 months later...

The information I have available suggests that attorneys MAY charge Veterans up to 33%, but that number, and any other number, has to be approved by the court.  And, Attorney fees above 20% are frowned on by the court.  The attorney would have to document his hours, and those hours would be at the prevailing rates that CAVC allows for attornies in various cities.  (More expensive places to live generally results in higher attorney fees). 

Further, attorney's are prohibited from "double dipping"...collecting 33% from the Vet AND collecting EAJA fees in addition to this.  The Veteran and attorney negotiate the attorney fees up to the 33 percent maximum.  Most are at 20%...or less.  Both attorney's who offered representation to me did so on EAJA fees only...at no cost to me.