VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Scar From Surgery

Rate this question

alantleasure

Question

I am rated for a scar that was done in the military related to a mark they thought was cancerous on my head. With that being said, i had surgery on my knee to attempt to correct what i am service connected for. Because of this surgery, i have a large scar down the front of my knee. Since this was done after discharge from the military, can i claim the residual scar now? If so, should it be claimed as a secondary to the SC disability. Any insight on this either way and how to claim it would be much appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am rated for a scar that was done in the military related to a mark they thought was cancerous on my head. With that being said, i had surgery on my knee to attempt to correct what i am service connected for. Because of this surgery, i have a large scar down the front of my knee. Since this was done after discharge from the military, can i claim the residual scar now? If so, should it be claimed as a secondary to the SC disability. Any insight on this either way and how to claim it would be much appreciated.

I have a 11 inch scare on my left knee, VA rated it at 10% and a 4 inch scare on the left ankle rated at 10%, these "Secondary's" were finalized in late 99 back to 1997. I am not sure if thing's have changed since then, but I think you have a good shot on the knee, specifically if it is in the middle of the knee.

• HadIt.com Elder

1997 Scar ratings are "old law" ratings, with 10% as the minimum. Today, the VA would likely rate them together at 0%.

Hello everyone,

I retired in 2008 with a 0% for Actinic Keratosis/Pre-cancer on my face and denied chest and arms because it was not considered Chronic (20 years flight line/dek maint. San Diego, Hawaii, Lemoore, two carrier deployments).   Over the past 10 years I have had 9 visits to civilian dermatologists removing/Freezing areas on face neck and arms.  Recently had surgery to my face for Basel Cell Carcinoma with a beautiful round and long stitching to my temple/forehead and into my hairline with a graph behind my ear.  At  what point is it considered chronic?  I never want to experience the 7 hours of MOHS again so I am getting checked every six months or sooner if needed.  I'm not sure how they will measure my scar because it is now the size of a shot glass bottom attached to 2 inches of a tail.  Behind my ear is the same shot glass size.  I will request an increase from 0% but to include chest and arms that were denied.  Any suggestions on claim?  How do I measure my scars?